The Governor's Race 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Governor's Race 2006

OK, I totally missed this debate, but noticed on the national yahoo politics page that the debate was actually covered with pictures and some quotes from Lingle and Iwase. Did anyone tape this by chance and are willing to let me borrow it or is it being reran at anytime?? Please let me know!!

Thanks!

KalihiBoy

Comment

The debate will be repeated today on KGMB TV at 4PM and KFVE at 5PM.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
        The debate will be repeated today on KGMB TV at 4PM and KFVE at 5PM.
        Question. How was it? hehehehe

In the Advertiser:
        Iwase runs against Lingle and Bush
        http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...10070343/1001/

In the StarBulletin:Sticking to safe scripts
        Democrat Randy Iwase strives to link Linda Lingle to Bush, while the GOP governor points to her achievements
        http://starbulletin.com/2006/10/07/news/story01.html

"Throughout the broadcast, the campaign sent 11 e-mail messages entitled "Setting the Record Straight" which brought up past statements or votes by Iwase that tended to contradict what he said on air.

"I think it was obvious why that was needed," Lingle said after the debate, "because Mr. Iwase said things that were simply not true."

BTW: I stayed home last night to take care of Antonio. I didn't watch the Debate. I watched "Ghost Whispers!" hehehehe

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I love that so far no one here actually watched, despite the extensive, cross-station coverage. If a group with a fair concentration of political wonks doesn't care, one can imagine how much excitement the governor's race is generating in the general public.

The Star-Bulletin notes that KITV has put video of the debate online, and even converted it for video iPods. I just don't see that download topping any charts at MySpace, though.

The only thing interesting about the Lingle/Iwase race will be to see what happens to the labor unions' relevancy afterward. Seems a lot of the big ones are throwing their endorsements behind Iwase, but I really wonder how many votes that'll actually translate into. Even labor union members who are upset at some of Lingle's actions (or lack thereof) will probably vote for her over Iwase.

Comment

Schedule conflict, so I couldn't view it live. However, a big mahalo to the papers for putting up qt files of the debate.

I am still digesting it. First, my preconcieved notions:

-I never thought much about Iwase and didn't vote for him in the primary. I voted for LL last election, know a couple of her appointees personally, have met her on a few occasions, and find her speaking style intelligent, detailed yet brief and charming. I haven't considered Hawaii worse for the wear under her leadership. Again, wrt Iwase? I really didn't know (or researched) who the hell he is.

I do recall LL's debate against Hirono and while it isn't up there with Barak Obama's in 04, it is nevertheless a vivid enough memory to have left a good impression of her.

That said....

First off, the moderator. Who was that guy? He reminded me of Ben Stein but with half of his personality. Somebody! Swap with that poor court stenographer and get a real mod out there for chrrisakes; this is tv!

Onto my girl Linda: Govvey-babe, you looked tired. These four years have worn on you. Oh, I saw that you can still ring out the data, but you didn't look hungry for the debate. It bummed me out, actually. I think you handled yourself well, but I found that the more you talked, the more I took issue with your positions; the gas cap for one. The prison situation for another. When it came time for you and Iwase to question/answer each other, I thought you were more evasive than either you needed to be or should have been. I was kind of bummed.

As for whats-his-face: $6M, $6M, it was all about that $6M, eh? At first I thought "shuuuut up and raise your own funds". And this guy has no personality. But I did sit up and pay attention to his convictions as a democrat (found it refreshing, actually). I thought that his idea for a tax credit against the excise tax as a means to get it from the tourists, but alleviate it for the residents was a tough answer to an unsexy economic concern. I really liked the "NIMBY" rebuttal and the "train was already leaving" points. Again, no charisma, but lots of brains and perhaps, character. I think I am going to look more into this Iwase campaign and see what its about.

Its been a while since I voted for a Democrat for governor.

</first impression>
            Last edited by Pua'i Mana'o; October 7, 2006, 11:09 AM. Reason: typos

pax

Comment

I watched most of it, but tuned in late because I was cooking/plating/serving kalua pig and cabbage atop bowls of rice ... ALOHA FRIDAY, WOO HOO! Oh, sorry, that should be on the what's for dinner thread.

AAAANYWAY, I thought both candidates did very well. I also thought the reporters did well.

It just wasn't very exciting. Not that I was really expecting fireworks.

I did find it amusing that neither candidate would look at each other, at least they didn't when I was paying attention to this aspect of their behaviors.
              I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle View Post
                I thought both candidates did very well. I also thought the reporters did well. It just wasn't very exciting.
                Pretty much what I was thinking last night, too. Lingle did very well, as expected. Iwase did better than I expected, though his incessant harping about Lingle being "friends" with Bush was over the top and seemed an act of desperation on his part.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                  I love that so far no one here actually watched, despite the extensive, cross-station coverage.
                  I watched, on the TV in my office at work. (For those who don't know, yes, it is part of my job to watch these things.)

Comment

I watched the opening remarks and then had company come over that wasn't interested so we watched Lost Replay for him.

I was genuinely interested int Iwase's opening remarks... the part about the rising cost of housing, cost of living, and the part where he mentioned that HE HIMSELF STILL had two kids living at home with him... (Didn't mention there ages... but I would assume they are over 18)

Lingles seemed to be too canned for me.

I still think Lingle is a shoo-in though unless something dramatic happens.

Comment

Doug White at Poinography posted some thoughts today.
                      Iwase spoke of a big tent and factions within the Democrats, but said that the Hawaii Democratic platform is his guide and listed the core principles that he shares with his Party (albeit by twice awkwardly mentioning Hubert Humphrey’s “moral test"). Lingle spoke of … well, she spoke of how she will never put the GOP first and that she welcomes support from anyone who thinks it is important to have a two-party system of government—even if the second party is an enigma under her leadership. Did Lingle say anything to uphold (or even define) the core values of the GOP? If not, then why is she a not just a member, but the titular leader, of the Republican Party? This was a revealing question.

Comment

Japanese man Iwase: Havah-eee. Havah-eeee.

Bruddah sounds off. I dunno why. Someting gives me da kreeps wid Iwase.

Too much Hawaiian wannabee I guess.

Oooooohhh, yuk, chicken skin kine yuk.

And that's saying alot considering he was being comparted to Lingle.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                          First off, the moderator. Who was that guy? He reminded me of Ben Stein but with half of his personality. Somebody! Swap with that poor court stenographer and get a real mod out there for chrrisakes; this is tv!
                          The moderator was UH Mānoa Professor Gerald Kato, Chairman of the School of Communications and former KGMB9 television reporter. He also moderated the Akaka-Case debate.
                          Onto my girl Linda: ...I think you handled yourself well, but I found that the more you talked, the more I took issue with your positions; the gas cap for one. The prison situation for another. When it came time for you and Iwase to question/answer each other, I thought you were more evasive than either you needed to be or should have been. I was kind of bummed.
                          These are all very astute observations. I think Lingle really offered nothing on the gas/alternative fuel issue, despite having someone like Thielen in her own party to draw from. And why the “canned answers” as mānoa puts it?! It was so obviously rehearsed, she often failed to answer the panelists. Contrary to popular belief, you need to listen and fully understand the question, before responding. The prison issue was a prime example.
                          I thought that his idea for a tax credit against the excise tax as a means to get it from the tourists, but alleviate it for the residents was a tough answer to an unsexy economic concern.
                          I missed the first 18 minutes of the debate, so I didn’t catch this part. Sounds intriguing.
                          I really liked the "NIMBY" rebuttal and the "train was already leaving" points. Again, no charisma, but lots of brains and perhaps, character. I think I am going to look more into this Iwase campaign and see what its about. Its been a while since I voted for a Democrat for governor.
                          I was undecided on who I would vote for before the debate, but I agree with LikaNui. Iwase performed better than I expected, even though he was obviously nervous and stressed. While I feel Lingle accomplished a great deal in office and should be commended for it, she obviously has no plan for the future. She often spoke in vague, general terms, and despite her promises that she will serve out her entire term, I got the feeling she’s planning to cut and run when Neil’s seat opens up in ’08. She got lucky too, since none of the panelists bothered to ask her about the Superferry issue, which is a hot topic on Maui and Kaua‘i.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Today's Earthquake just sealed it for Governor Linda Lingle and Lt. Governor Duke Aiona. Our Governor handled the situation from the beginning with utmost professionalism and wisdom. Lt. Governor Aiona took charge at Diamond Head while she accessed the situation on the Big Island.

It's totally amazing how our governor was right near the area when it struck. She felt and saw the damages first hand. She let the people of Hawai'i know what was happening and assurred us everything was going to be alright.

Hearing her words made me feel much safer. I always knew my Vote would be for her and Aiona. They deserve to be elected back into office!

Bravo to them and to the Men and Women who made our day a better one.

Hawai'i no ka oi!!!!

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

If Iwase's campaign finances are any indication of how well he manages money. I really don't think we want him managing the State's finances.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...237680195.html

Comment

I agree with Auntie Lynn...Governor Lingle & Lt. Gov Aiona handled the earthquake situation very well. No doubt that some lessons learned from the Katrina experience were used.

I only hope that the other candidates don't jump on this and politicize it.

Comment

Working...
                                X