Case versus Akaka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Case versus Akaka

U.S. Sen. Daniel Akaka agreed Tuesday to a single debate with U.S. Rep. Ed Case to be broadcast statewide by PBS Hawaii on Aug. 31.
    http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=4792

This should be interesting

Comment

Fascinating. I really doubted Akaka would succumb to Case's "debate debate debate" drumbeat. Definitely looks like Case is framing how this race will play out, despite Andy Winer's efforts. Like I said a few posts back, I don't think a Case-Akaka head-to-head would be pretty, and (like all debates) it'll benefit primarily the challenger.

I guess the question is how tightly structured the "debate" will be, how it'll be moderated (and by whom). Even some "debates" aren't really, you know?

AARP hosting? Wonder how they like Case's "transition" plank?

BTW, Case, Akaka, and Abercrombie will be on hand on Friday to dedicate the Kapalama Post Office in honor of the late Sen. Hiram Fong. Hope they all can resist getting political for that one event...

Comment

The Akaka camp says they will not allow any direct questions from Case.
        Gosh. What a surprise.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

This debate will be a runaway for Case.

I just don't see it in Akaka too dig in at some things the way Case will.

I will be watching...but it does seem odd that Akaka has now refused to answer questions directly from Case

Comment

I agree with you, Mānoa. But on the same token, I think it’s very possible Ed Case will dig his own grave. That thread about the insensitive Idaho DJ pointed to an interesting letter to the editor about Case’s view on the civil war going on in Baghdad. He wasn’t sure there was one. Hello?! Here’s a guy trying to “make big body” when it comes to military affairs, and he’s not even aware of a dangerous development being blared on CNN, Fox News and MSNBC 24 hours a day for the past month?!

Knowing just how Blunt Ed can be, if I’m Case’s political strategist I’m telling him: “don’t take any questions from Akaka about the Iraq war.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

The "no direct questions" is not an uncommon limit in political debates, along with restrictions on time, stage positioning (no going over and poking your opponent in the chest!), and the like. It can go overboard (remember the 30-plus page agreement the Bush/Kerry folks hammered out for their debates?), but even in a carefully controlled environment, candidates can make things interesting.

So, Case and Akaka won't be able to say, "You have a record of being a lout." It'll be, "My opponent has a record of being a lout." I don't think it'll stop either from being aggressive, though of course Case will most likely be the one to come out swinging.

The trick for him will be to come across as confident and mentally limber, and not as someone abusing grandpa. I think he can do it, but might let his ambition get the best of him. Akaka, meanwhile, will have to maintain his genial, gentleman's facade, but show he's got some fire left in him. This, I'm not so sure he can do. Not unless he can have an ear piece with Andy Winer on the other end!

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                How about this:

Case is married to the former Audrey Nakamura, sister of Pat Nekoba, the wife of Lloyd Nekoba, otherwise known as one of the, (if not THE) most powerful man in the Hawai‘i Democratic Party (he ran both Waihe‘e and Cayetano’s campaigns). Will this old-boy network go head-to-head with Danny Akaka’s old-boy network? Did Case really not have the blessing of at least some Democratic insiders?
                That's not the same Nekoba that lived in Waialae Nui Valley? The one that managed to get that ugly pink high rise towers called Kahala Towers built at the entrance of the valley despite the objections of fellow neighbors who felt those twin towers posed a major eyesore (and still is).

The same Nekoba that allowed construction of condo's on the right side of the valley walls as well?

If that's the same Nekoba, then yes it is an old boy's network as that Nekoba was close to Inouye when he was just a state senator and Burns was the governor and Abercrombie was some renagade hippie college kid protesting the Vietnam war.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Hawaii's people don't care about "debates". Hawaii's people hate "debate". Hawaii's Asian and even Hawaiian cultures expect decisions to me made by wise elders behind closed doors, not blared out in public arguements.

So Case or Akaka has to do is this.

Whichever guy cries, wins.

Thats it. Easy.

The race really comes down to that as long as neither does something outrageous.

Just talk to good ole Ben, the filipino fiesta. When he was losing to Lingle in the first race, he got on TV and he cried in his commercial. Then he won.

No need million dollar advisers. Hawaii is too easy. Cry and win.

I ain't kidding brah. This is damn serious.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
                    No need million dollar advisers. Hawaii is too easy. Cry and win. I ain't kidding brah. This is damn serious.
                    Please, Please VOTE FOR ED CASE!!!

Auntie Lynn
                    Last edited by 1stwahine; August 16, 2006, 07:25 PM.
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                      Please, Please VOTE FOR ED CASE!!!

Auntie Lynn

Aunty, you like Case win, just tell him to cry. Weep. Have him talk about how much he loves Hawaii and what Hawaii means to him and how he "feels Hawaiian" juss like Cayetano said,...... uh, neva mind, skratch the "feels Hawaiian", no look good wid one Haole. Just stick to da firss two and cry baby. Make his AJA wife Audrey come up and save him, bring him tissue and hug him.

Garanz he win.

You tell um aunty. No chag.

Comment

Aunty, you like Case win, just tell him to cry. Weep. Have him talk about how much he loves Hawaii and what Hawaii means to him and how he "feels Hawaiian" juss like Cayetano said,...... uh, neva mind, skratch the "feels Hawaiian", no look good wid one Haole. Just stick to da firss two and cry baby. Make his AJA wife Audrey come up and save him, bring him tissue and hug him.

Garanz he win.

You tell um aunty. No chag.
                        I going email him dis post. I no shame ~ I'm Auntie pUpule!!!

gOTTA DO WAT YOU GOTTA DO!!!

If Ben could do it so can he!

Yipppeeeeee!

Auntie Lynn
                        Last edited by 1stwahine; August 16, 2006, 07:58 PM.
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Is there any question Akaka will make sure Iraq is a central issue in this debate?

Kerry uses vast e-mail list to back Akaka

Kerry has traveled widely to raise money and help candidates as he considers a possible 2008 White House bid, and he praised Lamont, Akaka and Menendez for taking a hard line against Bush's Iraq policies in their campaigns for Senate seats.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Whichever guy cries, wins.
                            Then Case really should re-do his currently ridiculous beach clean up ad, modeling it after the crying Indian. Can't you see it? Case standing on a hill overlooking a litter-strewn beach in Waianae? The music swelling as the camera closes in on Case's wind-swept face? A glistening tear appearing on his cheek? Jackpot, baby!
                            Originally posted by TuNnL
                            Is there any question Akaka will make sure Iraq is a central issue in this debate?
                            Well, as the Rasmussen poll showed, while "the Iraq war" is a strong issue everywhere, Hawaii is the only state where it surpasses "the economy" on the list of voter priorities. Iraq is going to be key not just 'cause it's a distinguishing difference between Case and Akaka, but because people here have especially strong feelings about it.

I do think Akaka needs to broaden his message a little, though. All that money spent, and so far I know he (1.) wants us out of Iraq, and (2.) is a nice guy. Oh, and that he works well with Inouye, though that point can cut both ways.

Comment

The Debate now has an agreed upon format.
                              http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0351/1001/NEWS
                              It also appears that the public can ask questions that maybe used in the debate .
                              AARP Hawai'i is accepting questions for the candidates suggested by voters. Ideas must be submitted in writing by Monday. The e-mail address is hiaarp@aarp.org, the fax is 537-2288, and the mailing address is AARP Hawai'i, 1132 Bishop St., Suite 1920, Honolulu, HI, 96813.
                              Gee... what can I ask

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                                The Debate now has an agreed upon format.
                                http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0351/1001/NEWS
                                It also appears that the public can ask questions that maybe used in the debate .
                                Gee... what can I ask
                                How about what the candidates are going to do about our Social Security problems for the next up and coming retirees?

As for the Iraq war, I think the next president will determine that fate. My concerns as a 46-year old is what is going to happen in the next 20 years that will compensate me for my last 28 years of employment in the form of Social Security.

Social Security and Medicare should be two major debate issues as there are a lot of baby boomers out there ready to cash in already and Case is the poster child for the baby boomers right now and Akaka, well he really should be collecting it by now.
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X