Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Case versus Akaka

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
    guess you gotta read the thread... cause I saw him personally handing it out to people!
    Many politicians give out things - I remember recieving my Dry Package Ramen from one Ken Hiraki ( who dat) one year!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
      I did read the thread but don't see the problem with Case handing out packs of Top Ramen? Also don't see what it has to do with the Case vs Akaka thread here, so why did you bring it up?
      why I brought it up... cause I wanted to aleviate a little bit of this thread with a couple laughs...

Politics gets people so worked up that an occasional laugh is needed to lighten everybody up.

Comment

I did read the thread but don't see the problem with Case handing out packs of Top Ramen? Also don't see what it has to do with the Case vs Akaka thread here, so why did you bring it up?
        You are correct Fran. I fell for Manoa's siilyness. My Bad.

Lynn
        Last edited by 1stwahine; August 27, 2006, 07:27 PM.

Comment

- ok, consider things lightened up!
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

by the way Manoa - it hasn't been 63 hours yet has it? (sorry folks, little inside joke)
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

by the way Manoa - it hasn't been 63 hours yet has it? (sorry folks, little inside joke)
              At 2:00 today it was 63 hours...

Inside joke??? you think... the jokes on me.....

Comment

oops sorry - I guess I wasn't counting right
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

However many hours, it wasn't long enough. So, turning things back to the actual topic, and not what Manoa thinks about another thread or whatever...
                  PZ - since the subject has come up, what ARE your feeling re Jones Act (and gun rights too I guess) ?
                  Let's just say I'm more skeptical of it than my Democratic counterparts. It was important, and certainly not the most problematic expression of American market protectionism out there, but I'm thinking its time has passed. Lots of other markets are globalized, and Americans are competing as best they can or getting out -- which, presumably, is how open markets work.

I'm glad Aunty has stepped up with her understanding of the issues, and wasn't neccessarily just parroting everything the Case campaign dumps out there... but IMHO, TuNnL's skepticism isn't exactly out of place, given her unrelenting loyalty to the man. Indeed, I'm sure the most hardcore flag-wavers out there can reasonably assert that the Jones Act is the very definition of patriotism... favoring one's country over reason, at times.

As for gun control? I'm a tad further right than my friends, but certainly not planning on joining the NRA anytime soon.

Again, I mentioned those issues simply to point out that I'm therefore edging toward the kind of "moderate" Democrat that Case is reaching out to. And that the things coming out of his campaign are strategically targeting newer-than-old-school Democrats. But yet, I'm not buying it anymore. That I might very well have voted for a different Democratic challenger to Akaka... but I just can't give my vote to him.

Case is definitely pouring it on, though. Last night, he was running a pair of 30-second TV ads, back to back, often times abutting a third pro-Case ad from the National Association of Realtors. A full 90-seconds of Case is too much... and do people actually like Realtors? (Kidding! Some of my friends, yada yada yada...) Talk about hedging one's bets -- he's pulled something from every page of the campaigning handbook. Case on the beach (cheesy!), Case at a podium (cheesy!), Case at a desk, people crowing about Case via e-mail (dorky!)...

Meanwhile, there's now a more conventional campaign ad out of Akaka, basically showing him milling about with "everyday people." Except, of course, that a lot of the folks he's gladhanding are wearing Akaka campaign shirts. And while he comes across as an accessible, decent, local statesman... the ads also show Akaka's age.

Either way you lean, this is going to be one heck of a battle.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    I'm glad Aunty has stepped up with her understanding of the issues, and wasn't neccessarily just parroting everything the Case campaign dumps out there...
                    OMG!!!! I taught you knew me betta den dat!

I may seem dumb and but I'm only acking most of dee times.

I understand issues PZ. I understand alot things.

Auntie Lynn
                    Last edited by 1stwahine; August 28, 2006, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                      OMG!!!! I taught you knew me betta den dat!
                      Auntie Lynn, you're a brilliant person! Also, you are someone who's passionate and loyal. You've said yourself, you "no shame," you want everyone to vote for Ed Case. So you've posted Case campaign literature, collections of links to pro-Case/anti-Akaka material, and responded to some pretty well stated arguments with, essentially, "I no care! Vote Case!"

So I'm just saying I'd love to hear more of what you think about the issues, not just what Ed Case thinks about them. We know you're actively involved in his campaign, so I think you have to try harder to distinguish your personal views from propaganda.

Comment

Auntie Lynn, you're a brilliant person! Also, you are someone who's passionate and loyal. You've said yourself, you "no shame," you want everyone to vote for Ed Case. So you've posted Case campaign literature, collections of links to pro-Case/anti-Akaka material, and responded to some pretty well stated arguments with, essentially, "I no care! Vote Case!"

So I'm just saying I'd love to hear more of what you think about the issues, not just what Ed Case thinks about them. We know you're actively involved in his campaign, so I think you have to try harder to distinguish your personal views from propaganda.

Ok. I will.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I'm glad Aunty has stepped up with her understanding of the issues, and wasn't neccessarily just parroting everything the Case campaign dumps out there... but IMHO, TuNnL's skepticism isn't exactly out of place, given her unrelenting loyalty to the man. Indeed, I'm sure the most hardcore flag-wavers out there can reasonably assert that the Jones Act is the very definition of patriotism... favoring one's country over reason, at times.
                          Consider me a hard-core flag waver then. I’m not shy about saying I think the Jones Act is the greatest thing since laulau and poi. I apologize to Aunty Lynn for any animosity, but at the same time, she hasn’t posted any compelling evidence that supports Case’s position on the issue. Remember - under the Jones act, 25% of the crew no need be Americans. So there are still opportunities for foreigners without resorting to the Ed Case method. Also, if you have an American ship, flagged, crewed and documented, you could start competing TODAY against Matson and Horizon. You also know that the crew aboard is protected against negligence by the ship's owner. None of this in necessarily true if we scrap the Jones Act. KEEPING IT IS THE MOST PATRIOTIC THING TO DO.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

• 'Broken Trust'

Anyone have thoughts on the 'Broken Trust' factor in the election? I would agree that Case is ambitious, not necessarily a bad thing, but making that early move to stop the Bishop Trustees took a lot of guts. Not only because of the size & power of the trust but also because anyone could see the 'interfering haole' accusations coming from a mile away.

I'll just say that I found it disturbing that Akaka came out in defense of those trustees. That's not necessarily an issue to base your vote on, but it is certainly one to weigh carefully.

Comment

Just got word that the Hawaii Restaurant Association is endoring Case. The restaurant industry is the single largest private employer in the State. I haven't seen any press releases with specific reasons why but I'm sure they'll be forthcoming. Hawaii Restaurant Association website.

Comment

Here is a link to an article written by a maritime attorney regarding the Jones Act. It's interesting reading.

http://www.millernash.com/showarticle.aspx?Show=379

Originally posted by TuNnL
                                Consider me a hard-core flag waver then. I’m not shy about saying I think the Jones Act is the greatest thing since laulau and poi. I apologize to Aunty Lynn for any animosity, but at the same time, she hasn’t posted any compelling evidence that supports Case’s position on the issue. Remember - under the Jones act, 25% of the crew no need be Americans. So there are still opportunities for foreigners without resorting to the Ed Case method. Also, if you have an American ship, flagged, crewed and documented, you could start competing TODAY against Matson and Horizon. You also know that the crew aboard is protected against negligence by the ship's owner. None of this in necessarily true if we scrap the Jones Act. KEEPING IT IS THE MOST PATRIOTIC THING TO DO.
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X