Case versus Akaka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Case versus Akaka

Shapiro is going to try a live blogging. I'll be lucky if I find a place to watch it live...

Comment

Hmmm, I've been at other message boards where the system will prompt users if another reply has been posted while the user has been writing... but that feature does not exist here, as you can see.

Comment

No problem, Doug. We overlap all the time!

That's right, I forgot Shapiro. They'd promoted the liveblogging a few days ago. A pity you likely won't be able to immediately comment, let alone watch, Doug. Your take is definitely one I'd want to read.

This is when a healthy local blogosphere would be fantastic. One where there are heaps of political bloggers, I mean, left right and center, yammering on and amongst themselves. Frankly, the Case v. Akaka race is already garnering national interest, and it's actually a pity there isn't a hui of "citizen media" folks on the ground here chomping at the bit to report and comment. Especially because of the broadcast restrictions.

Anyone else? Aaron? Ian? Should I just click down the list of political blogs at Poinography tonight and hope? Any interest in a "live thread" here?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          This is when a healthy local blogosphere would be fantastic. One where there are heaps of political bloggers, I mean, left right and center, yammering on and amongst themselves.
          It may be hard to find willing HT members from the right to present a balance in the kind of discussion you pursue, especially if I go by what is being reported in this thread.

That said I am still monitoring what is being stated in the Hawaii Hall.

Lastly as most everyone knows, tonight's telecast of Akaka vs. Case will not be a true debate since the candidates won't field questions from each other or won't take spontaneous questions from media that may be in attendance.

The broadcast will be interesting enough for me to capture with my new digital device and perhaps re-examine afterward.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
            It may be hard to find willing HT members from the right to present a balance in the kind of discussion you pursue, especially if I go by what is being reported in this thread.
            Yes, Mel, that's why I was talking about blogs. You know, out there, outside HawaiiThreads but local to Hawaii. There are political bloggers in Hawaii, conservative and liberal and everything in between, but altogether they're sadly not quite the thriving, interactive community they are in other cities, which, as I said, is a pity.

A "live thread" at HawaiiThreads would, at first glance, seem to be pretty one-sided, but in this particular race, I think the discussion could still be interesting. Because even if HT skews liberal or Democratic, there's debate within those groups as to how Case or Akaka represent those views. Lots of us fell together on the left/libertarian quadrant of the Political Compass chart, yet we feel differently on this race.

On the other hand, I'm really looking for good commentary on the debate, as I did for Bush v. Gore, where commentators generally credited or dinged either side for good points or missteps. They may have been partisan, but they also know when a candidate is doing well, or stumbling badly. I have a feeling a "live thread" here would descend pretty quickly into battles between people who've already picked a side, and won't stop to hear anything the other guy says.

Comment

Channel 2 News just took a swipe at Akaka...

They were just reporting the facts...

Joe Moore basically said that KITV was willing to simulcast the debate on their channel.... PBS AGREED! CASE AGREED! However, AKAKA REFUSED!

(not a direct quote but something to that effect)

This debate will be interesting...

I'm opening a New Thread for just a short period of time since no one else has yet.

Comment

Thanks, Manoa. We overlapped each other!

I have indeed set up a special thread to discuss tonight's debate. Turn up the TV and fire up your computer and share your own live commentary as things unfold.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                  Lastly as most everyone knows, tonight's telecast of Akaka vs. Case will not be a true debate since the candidates won't field questions from each other or won't take spontaneous questions from media that may be in attendance.
                  Hmm... two candidates show up at the same place, answer questions directed at them by a moderator and are given time to provide a rebuttal after their opponent responds.

And the group running the event has a history of doing the same thing nationwide.

Sounds like a "true debate" to me.

I'm also wondering if other HT users will jump on whoever the Advertiser employee is who signed up for the sole reason of promoting their newspaper. Will that person contribute anything else of value to the boards? Probably not.

Comment

10 mintue count down to the so called "debate"

HT's poll is running neck and neck...

I'm assuming admins will open the live thread the moment the debate begins.

Has anyone posted questions to the website that was previously announced?
                    It would be interesting if one of our own HT members question was talked about.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                      I'm also wondering if other HT users will jump on whoever the Advertiser employee is who signed up for the sole reason of promoting their newspaper.
                      Well, let's see...when other HT users recently jumped on someone who originally began posting for the sole reason of promoting their car sales, YOU jumped on those posters for doing so, so I would guess your words of "probably not" are your answer.

Comment

Akaka's campaign is now airing a direct response to the National Association of Realtors ad and mailers. You know, the claim that "Ed Case sponsored a plan that would make health care more affordable for Hawaii workers and small businesses."

The NAR push in and of itself annoyed me, because (1.) they're Mainland realtors, people with whom plenty of everyday working folk have issues with, and (2.) it kind of takes the stuffing out of Ed Case's well-worn line that Akaka is beholden to special interests. Frankly, everyone in Congress is. Case's "special interests" just happen to be primarily the ones usually behind Republicans.

But anyway. The response ad points out that the plan that the NAR was harping on is one that's completely irrelevant to Hawaii. In other words, I imagine NAR made the same ad for any sitting congresscritter who backed their bill, and didn't think to research if it was applicable here. It's not, and the Akaka ad quotes Case saying so.

Definitely a "D'oh!"

They've also responded to Case's dorky e-mail ad, on the Congress.org rankings. Excellent stuff. Case made a serious misstep in throwing the Congress.org rankings out there, since he comes out among the biggest losers. Almost uncharacteristically harsh for an Akaka ad, but they're right -- Case brought it up first!

Meanwhile, the Honolulu Advertiser has formally endorsed Akaka. A fact that Akaka noted on his campaign website as coming from the "Hololulu Advertiser." Whatever newspaper that is, I'm sure they endorsed Akaka, too! Anyone know if the Star-Bulletin has thrown its hat in anywhere yet? I imagine they'll back Case.

Comment

Absentee ballots??? maybe they running the ad on the mainland too... j/k

Very interesting observation PZ.

I wonder when politicians will start using Youtube to push there ads via free media... actually I'm sure they already are... I'm just not gonna look for it
                          Last edited by damontucker; September 4, 2006, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Did you find any Case material on YouTube, Manoa? I'm surprised that between the two, Akaka's camp is most invested in the "new media" hype-attracting darling. In fact, while I have yet to see the Congress.org rebuttal on the air, it seems to be having some impact online.

Meanwhile, Hawaii Reporter is republishing a Case campaign "open letter" to Akaka, calling for (1.) more joint appearances, (2.) rebroadcasts of the debate, and (3.) vows to not engage in last-minute smear tactics.

More joint appearances are unlikely, as are rebroadcasts of the debate, given Akaka's performance. Disappointing, but not unexpected, politically. That third item is kind of weird to me, though. "We say we're not going to smear, will you say the same?" One, a pretty cheap ploy to grasp at the high ground ("Will you promise, on the record, not to be an evil bastard? Or to not beat your wife?"), and two, it makes the implication that there's possibly heaps of dirt in storage at both camps, just itching to get out.

As they say often in politics, if you don't have anything nice to say... come sit next to me!
                            Last edited by pzarquon; September 5, 2006, 03:56 PM.

Comment

There was a letter in the paper mentioning Case's vote for the Hensarling amendment, which would have cut funding for NEA, CPB, and a whole bunch of other stuff, so I went looking for what that was.

Here's a DailyKos diary about it (yes, the author is Akaka's campaign manager):

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/7/28/214645/709
                              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                                Did you find any Case material on YouTube, Manoa?
                                Yeah there is quite a bit of case stuff out there on Youtube...

I'm not viewing it though...

Comment

Working...
                                X