Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Case versus Akaka

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
    Well, let's see...when other HT users recently jumped on someone who originally began posting for the sole reason of promoting their car sales, YOU jumped on those posters for doing so, so I would guess your words of "probably not" are your answer.
    Well, let's see... the thread you're talking about showed up in the "for sale" section of HT. The message was about selling cars.

This thread is about the Case vs. Akaka debate. Someone from the Advertiser showed up to shamelessly self-promote. Auwe.

Apples and oranges. Thanks for the snarky comment though.

Comment

Thanks for looking that up, Link! That further seals my turnaround to now vote against Case (if not enthusiastically for Akaka). Those agencies have serious issues, but America is a much better place with them than without.

I can see the protest poster now: "Why does Ed Case hate Big Bird?"

("He's brainwashing our kids to hate America! And look at those feathers... he's totally gay!")

Comment

Wow, Link, that was great. Yet another reason Akaka chose PBS to debate Case, as if AARP and lower viewing audience wasn’t enough. He debated Ed on the one station with an ax to grind with the freshman Congressman.

Like pzarquon said, this further seals my vote. I cannot in good conscience support Case based on his voting record. It’s not to say that I overwhemingly like Akaka over him. If Abercrombie ran, I would easily support him. But Ed Case’s demeanor and propensity to kiss Republican tushy with no regard for the consequences (except for his own personal gain), should make any Democratic supporters take a second look.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

It kinda irks me that most of the ads for Ed Case have been sponsored and paid for by the National Association of Realtors. Being a Mainland PAC, I can only wonder how beholden he will be to the developers who want to make more money off the 'aina if he is elected. And I LOVE the way Case says in one of his ads that ANY registered voter, regardless of political affiliation, can vote in the primary for a Democratic candidate. I think this was meant to appeal to the moderate Republicans and Independents out there.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            And I LOVE the way Case says in one of his ads that ANY registered voter, regardless of political affiliation, can vote in the primary for a Democratic candidate. I think this was meant to appeal to the moderate Republicans and Independents out there.
            Well, you do have to limit your votes to a party, so you can't vote for Case and then vote for your favorite (other) Republicans. But yes, anyone can vote on the Democratic side.

There was a good article on the crossover vote prospects for Case. That he could be campaigning harder on the issue (hoping for the Lingle Effect), and noting that the juicy 1st Congressional District doesn't have many exciting GOP races... meaning Republicans might forgo the chance to advance their party overall just to get Case in/Akaka out. Given the close polling for Case/Akaka, certainly a healthy chunk of Republican voters could turn things.

But the story also notes that most Republicans, by virtue of being the long-suffering minority party, are pretty loyal, and find grabbing a Dem ballot a bit distasteful. (Our own Mel is quoted.)

There's also the intriguing element of Jerry Coffee's aborted candidacy, with some Republicans pushing the idea that if Coffee's name is carried forward, Lingle would be able to slot in anyone she wants to battle either Case or Akaka. For that to happen, though, Republicans would have to vote Republicans and make sure Coffee "wins."

And who could seriously challenge Case or Akaka on the Republican side? Hmm...
            Last edited by pzarquon; September 8, 2006, 11:01 AM. Reason: "I'm not dead yet!"

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              It kinda irks me that most of the ads for Ed Case have been sponsored and paid for by the National Association of Realtors. Being a Mainland PAC, I can only wonder how beholden he will be to the developers who want to make more money off the 'aina if he is elected. And I LOVE the way Case says in one of his ads that ANY registered voter, regardless of political affiliation, can vote in the primary for a Democratic candidate. I think this was meant to appeal to the moderate Republicans and Independents out there.

Miulang
              Well the NAR has its tentacles into just about every politician around here who's worth influencing. Unfortunately Congressional politics is really a no holds barred game, unlike local races where there are at least a few restrictions on how bought a politician can be (though not many). I've never been a big fan of the primary races to begin with, we should return to closed party caucuses as a means to increase participation and party identification, but that's a whole other discussion.

Jewlipino

Comment

the late Jerry Coffee's posthumous candidacy
                Er, he withdrew for health reasons, but as far as I know he's still alive, right?
                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Hah! You're right. Man. Sincere apologies to the Coffee family. And while I'll leave Link's correction, I think I'm going back to edit that. Sheesh.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    And who could seriously challenge Case or Akaka on the Republican side? Hmm...
                    Republican Candidates 2006

Mark S. Beatty for U.S. Senator *
                    I've met him personally. Very intellegent and knows his business. Someone to watch out for. I told him who I was voiting for ~ I'm a Democrat.

Jay L. Friedheim for U.S. Senator

Gerald L. Coffee for U.S. Senator
                    Out of Race due to Health Reasons

Steve Tataii for U.S. Senator

Edward_Pirkowski for U.S. Senator

Chas. Collins For U.S. Senator

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      Hah! You're right. Man. Sincere apologies to the Coffee family. And while I'll leave Link's correction, I think I'm going back to edit that. Sheesh.
                      If Coffee or his wife read these boards, it would be the perfect Mark Twain moment. "Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
                      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Well, I'm pretty sure Lingle's expressed hope that Coffee wins implies that the Republican party here is voting "none of the above" to the other Republicans that filed. Whomever she slots in, it won't be a name already in the race. Would be pretty damn cool if she threw herself in, but I don't see that happening here (or yet). Otherwise, the thus-far unnamed possibilities are intriguing. A local business leader with broad appeal? Another well-regarded military leader with conservative leanings but a moderate image? It'd sure be interesting.

Except for a spoiler that no one sees coming, though, I agree with Case. The 2nd Congressional District Senate race will basically be decided Sept. 23. At best, a Coffee-succeeding Republican will get a pretty good boost for a future run.

Comment

Just in: Ed has been endorsed for United States Senator by the Japanese Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Hawaii.

"Our members were fully engaged in the endorsement process, supporting candidates who will represent business and community interests," the Japanese Chamber said. The endorsement came on a secret ballot vote of members of the organization, formed in 1951.

Das a great endorsement!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

If anybody missed the Debate you got another chance to view it's entirety!

The U.S. Senate debate between Congressman Ed Case and Senator Dan Akaka, originally televised "live" in Hawaii on August 31, 2006, will be shown on national cable television this Saturday, September 9, at 11:30 PM in Hawaii (Sunday, September 10, 2006, at 5:30 AM EDT), on C-SPAN (digital and analog channel 48 in Hawaii; specific TV channel varies by location).

The spokesperson said the debate's sponsor will not allow the network to make the program available on C-SPAN's website. C-SPAN normally uploads its programs for viewing on its website. Case for Senate has asked sponsor AARP Hawaii to authorize website viewing.

C-SPAN is a private, non-profit company, created in 1979 by the cable television industry as a public service. Its mission is to provide public access to the political process.

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn

Comment

That is very interesting... thanks for reporting it...

I'm kind of blown away that a major network would get the rights compared to something local....

This is kind of major news... as this debate will now air NATIONWIDE if it is on C-SPAN.

Thanks for the heads up Auntie.

Comment

Thanks Auntie!!! Not really major news as mānoa says, since AARP announced awhile ago the debate would also be on C-SPAN. I’ve been eagerly awaiting a date and time, though!

This is so kewl. I had to watch it the first time without sound, just reading the closed captions across the screen at Mānoa Garden at UH (now known as Bahle for anyone who hasn’t been up there in awhile).

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                                USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X