Case versus Akaka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet ANOTHER Case Rebuke

Does Ed Case pay attention to ANYTHING his supporters are doing? Will he EVER take responsible for ANY of these problems that ultimately HE is to blame for?

Sheesh.

'Arakawa's' Founder Slams Case Flier

(KGMB) A long-time Akaka supporter is criticizing Case and one of his major supporters for the use of an unauthorized photo.... of long-time Akaka supporter Goro Arakawa that his lawyer says ... was taken for an airline magazine article in 1998 ...

"Firefighters, Ariyoshi, what was it yesterday, I forget what it was yesterday," Case said.
    Last edited by TuNnL; September 21, 2006, 10:53 PM.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

• Case corporatUSt puppy ,, Re: Case versus Akaka

Originally posted by pzarquon
      I too got the Ed Case mailing Link mentions, the one from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Apart from the laughable "death tax" thing and the continued harping on the small business health initiative (which, if you've forgotten, Case has long ago conceded is not applicable to Hawaii), I was most annoyed at the command repeated on both sides of the mailing:

"Call Ed Case at (808) 541-1986 and thank him for creating jobs for Hawaii's families and businesses."

Geez. Even when Case's campaign is ostensibly not involved in the message, somehow ego and pomposity still comes through.
      Rep. Case's truckloads of fear-mongering are as revealing of the man himself as are his egoistic larger-than-life mugshots on banners tied to chain-link fences wherever one his campaign persons can convince a fence owner to allow such displays of Ed's smiling 2-D image on plastic.

Ed E. Case preaches fear for our future if he is not chosen to lead not only Hawaii, but lead Hawai'i as well (though of course he makes no such distinction). His case for there not being more people jumping up and down saying "We love Case" is that such would-be-enthusiasts are intimidated, feel intimidated, sense fear of public display of their support for him, Case. Layers upon layers of fear is the cake Case and his mainlandish supporters are serving up to the Hawaii electorate.

In just a few years living on the mainland Case has become mainland corporatists' (insurance, militarist, real estate, AIPAC, financial interests) "Yosef Lieberman of the Pacific", and no doubt as well, a puppy (as in corporatist hound) they could consider for some US executive branch placement once (presumably) Case was secured as one of their US Senators.

Case's rhetoric about "my grassroots support", "my grassroots campaign" is nauseous. Subtract the mainland's (predominately the "East Coast" $ National Realtors' Association, AIPAC -AmerIsrael Political Action Committee, U.S Chamber of Commerce) and others' US monies from his "grassroots support" and Ed E. would be as a goat foraging over the concrete and asphalt --ornamental shrubbery would necessarily be off-limits: see Sierra Club Hawaii endorsement case/conditions; also, see Shrubbury1/Bush2 reign of terrorUSt$ case -- of Honolulu environs' foreign (see defintion at HI state's Regulated Industries division) owned hotels, condominium complexs, timeshares, shopping centers and financial office buildings for the locals' scraps.
      Last edited by waioli kai; September 22, 2006, 12:46 AM.

Comment

• Re: Case versus Akaka

I asked you an actual Case v. Akaka question. Go back and answer that.
        If you were talking to me directly in asking this question to everyone:
        I would be interested in the thoughts of anyone that did watch. I just don't think I have the stomach for it.
        To tell you the truth... I didn't have much interest in it other than wondering if the 10 - 14 well placed audience members may have been paid or what? A couple of them were some good tv eye candy... and then of course... spoiled the whole thing for me at the end...when I realized the whole thing was a poorly edited piece of just a long political commercial that was orchestrated by case to try and make him look good.

However, I don't think akaka get the Balls to even get on TV again after the debate sponsored by the AARP.

Was there another question that you wanted me to answer pz?

Please show that too me if I'm missing it...

Frick... I can't wait till sunday... we should all just go out and have a drink together for a laugh!
        Last edited by damontucker; September 22, 2006, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
          In today's mail I got a glossy brochure from the US Chamber of Commerce urging me to vote for Rep. Case and against Senator Akaka. Why? Because Akaka's voted to raise taxes in the past; the third and last item on the Chamber's list of reasons to vote against him was "he voted not to repeal the Death Tax."

The "Death Tax" is Republican code for the estate tax.

(Caution: rhetorical question to follow)

Why would Republicans support Ed Case?
          The proposed repeal of the estate tax was/is a lot more complicated and cumbersome than just "no more estate taxes". I don't know why Akaka may have voted against it but the issue definitely isn't one that should be addressed in sound bites like "he voted not to repeal the Death Tax". I got a couple of glossy brochures that I think were from the US Chamber of Commerce ~ one demanded that I thank Case for all he has done. I found it offensive and it did not incline me towards voting for Case at all.

Comment

• Re: Yet ANOTHER Case Rebuke

Originally posted by TuNnL
            Does Ed Case pay attention to ANYTHING his supporters are doing?
            Wow. I had the mailing in front of me all night last night and didn't realize that was Goro Arakawa. That is remarkably prominent placement for a person who (1.) supports Akaka and (2.) took that photo for an entirely different project. Definitely a bigger mistake than the whole firefighter thing. That's wholesale appropriation of an image to imply endorsement, which quite obviously was not given.

Case's complaining is almost laughable. Yes, a lot of these dumb moves were made by people ostensibly "outside his control." But he doesn't acknowledge them. He dismisses them and says, "Focusing on this stuff is petty politics and unimportant and the work of my opponent." It's not unimportant. It ain't a buried DUI bust or anything, but it can fairly be seen as indicative of how Case's campaign is run (or not), and therefore how he'd operate in Washington.

Okay, maybe the genesis of these myriad complaints are Akaka supporters. But I don't know about you, but if I were Arakawa's family, I'd be pissed even if we were Case supporters. It's simply uncool.

And you know what? The fact that the photo was of Goro Arakawa, and not just some Corbis stock photo of a sturdy Asian man, makes it clear that this supposedly "independent," mainland-generated NAR mailer had some kind of input from Hawaii, if not Case's campaign. It was selected intentionally, and thus, with clear intent to mislead. If Case had any sense, he'd disavow the whole thing. "I'm Ed Case, and I didn't approve this message." Which we're led to believe is the situation, anyway. Instead, he's whining about the fact that he's again getting called on genuinely dumb blunders. "I'm not sorry it happened," it sounds like. "I'm sorry I got caught!"
            Originally posted by manoasurfer123
            A couple of them were some good tv eye candy...
            Well, maybe Scriv watched? Again, I didn't tune in, but if the staged audience was anything like the unnaturally still staged audience in his TV ads, I would've found the presentation just as unsettling as it was generally annoying. At least we know you had it on... I still want to hear from people who tuned in... and whether people in general ever willingly subject themselves to political infomercials.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
              In today's mail I got a glossy brochure from the US Chamber of Commerce urging me to vote for Rep. Case and against Senator Akaka. Why? Because Akaka's voted to raise taxes in the past; the third and last item on the Chamber's list of reasons to vote against him was "he voted not to repeal the Death Tax."

The "Death Tax" is Republican code for the estate tax.

(Caution: rhetorical question to follow)

Why would Republicans support Ed Case?

I guess the answer to your question is simple...He's really a Republican.

As a sidenote, I got that mailer too and again was insulted by the lack of awareness shown by Case's friends from the ContUS. Hello? not eveyone who lives here is Hawaiian, dumbasses! plus the Chamber used a picture of an Akaka supporter without his authorization. He was on KGMB's newscast last night complaining about it. Case's response was rather annoying. I supported Case in his run for the House Seat, I'm disappointed in him.
              Last edited by Keanu; September 22, 2006, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by waioli kai
                Maybe you help make all opposed to US war crimes suffer , i.e., "get sick" from/on all misguided US foreign policy conducted on the alleged behalf of "Americans". Maybe you go to get psycho aid.?
                Waioli Kai, that comment wasn't for Akaka that was to you in a comment I posted looong ago. I stand by what I wrote. You NEED help! Go get it before it's too LATE!

Lynn

Btw: I finished my Psycho Help. Dr. Do said I not Crazy no moa! Wap ya Jaws!!!!!
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu
                  ...He's really a Republican.
                  On some of the economic issues, maybe. Just found out yesterday (on KITV) he is up on same sex unions/marriage. That is more inline with Democrats. Good thing I pulled GOP when I voted the other day.
                  Last edited by mel; September 22, 2006, 07:35 AM. Reason: oops wrong issue
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

• Re: AKAKA: How you feeling? - Video

Originally posted by HawaiiDemocrats.com
                    I think it probably is... I just "googled" her and found this:
                    (Didn't feel the need to duplicate the copyrighted image.)
                    I wonder if it's also a not-so-subtle reminder of the last days of Chairman Mao?

Comment

Too funny this morning at my Hale. I'm getting ready to ride the Trolley with Supporters, Ed and Audrey around Oahu. MAMA all looong face. She's for AKAKA. hahahahaha

I love my MAMA.

I guess it's happening everywhere.heheheh

My children won't tell me who their Voting for cause they say it's their right to keep it Secret. I understand. I know who Gaya is Voting for.

Dang! Only one moa day! Plezzzzzzzzzz let it come already. I rather it be Saturday night when the results will be coming in and everything will get back to normal...even in my Hale.

The sarcastic looks from MAMA are getting to me. I scared her CANE!!!!

I made ya LAUGH.

Have a great Day everyone.

Love and Aloha

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                        My children won't tell me who their Voting for cause they say it's their right to keep it Secret. I understand.
                        Good for you; that's where I fall, when it comes to voting. Even though we are likely to agree on candidates and issues, I generally refuse to tell the Alpha Female how I vote, and I request that she not tell me hers (though we sometimes break that secrecy AFTER an election is over.) I will, if she asks, discuss my opinions and perspectives on candidates and issues, which will generally reveal my bias anyway - but it's very rare that she asks; she's good at doing her own research - something I recommend every eligible voter spend time doing (*ahem* Oh, Manoa...? )

Comment

'Smear' against Case being reviewed
                          The Honolulu Liquor Commission is investigating an e-mail sent by one of its employees on the city's computer system -- a message U.S. Senate candidate Ed Case is calling "an obvious last-minute smear" against him... The e-mail questions whether Case's wife, Audrey, is related to Jennifer Toma Bainum, wife of former City Councilman Duke Bainum. Bainum attributed his loss in the 2004 mayoral election to a last-minute whisper campaign that politically attacked the character of his wife.
                          Ah, they're as reliable as the tides, the seasons, the sunrise... an e-mail from a city office gets around, Case cries foul, Akaka disavows any involvement, and no doubt the attention and resulting debate will far outweigh the ultimate intent or effect of the message.

Still, as political theater, this is another great act in a hilarious play. Also interesting will be to see how the mainstream media tackles this one, considering how hands-off it was over the Bainum mess.

Here's my bet (which may very well be wrong): the Bainum comparison is way off base, and this incident will turn out to be far, far less insidious than Case is claiming. I think we just have some random city worker making some silly remark or accusation in an e-mail that gets passed around, and eventually reaches Case. And he raises an enormous stink about it. Yet already it sounds like the original message is hardly the coordinated, aggressive, widespread "smear campaign" the whole Bainum deal was -- just another "embarassing worplace e-mail faux pas." Ultimately Case is going to be more responsible for "spreading" it than the dark, secret agents he publicly suspects.

Meanwhile, all his constant whining and complaining up until this point -- where he said only Akaka's folks are focusing on disractions like Goro Arakawa and the fire chief and George Ariyoshi and robocalls and everything else -- suddenly seems hugely hypocritical, since he's now doing the same thing on a grand scale, blowing little things way out of proportion.

Thing is, I think he's doing it out of genuine frustration and boneheadedness. I'm sure he's truly upset, taking it personally, but doesn't realize how his protests could backfire. Making a flap about this e-mail isn't exactly going to net much political gain in the long run, if not even hurt.

The man just needs more seasoning. He should've stuck it out in the House for a couple more terms at least. He might've gotten my vote in 2012, but not tomorrow.
                          Last edited by pzarquon; September 22, 2006, 11:02 AM.

Comment

she's good at doing her own research - something I recommend every eligible voter spend time doing (*ahem* Oh, Manoa...? )
                            Who needs research.... I need to get one of those "Picking" Parrots that PZ has.

I will be so happy when this is over...know matter who wins.

I just hope whoever loses, does it like a man...and doesn't cry foul play.

Comment

The Akaka v. Case race is getting more and more national attention, although it's been on some analysts' and pundits' radar since Lamont in Connecticut. This Mark Niesse piece for the AP has run on dozens, maybe hundreds of websites. The Wall Street Journal asserts, "Hawaii's Akaka Could Be Next Primary Victim," concluding that a recent 51-38-11 poll showing for Akaka still shows him vulnerable. And, of course, the political blogosphere is putting in its two cents.

Speaking of blogs, I found this entry at Direct Democracy, which is a Q&A with Akaka (with some interesting comments, such as the idea that Dems at least better themselves in the U.S. House, since chances are Case's replacement will be more liberal than Case was -- and that an outright ouster from D.C. would be a win-win!). So the "old Hawaii" candidate is the one who has got material up on YouTube, and the "old Hawaii" candidate is also the one granting interviews with bloggers. Very interesting.

It's probably too close to call, but my feeling is, Akaka had more reason to be scared two months ago than he does now. No one's coming out smelling like roses, but at best Case's aggression has netted him a few extra votes, but may very well have cost him some of the half-hearted support he had coming in. My parrot disagrees, but I'll guess that Akaka will win, and do better than most people thought.

Also... Case has said often that he thinks people in Hawaii are just "too nice" or "too afraid" to say they're going to vote for him over Akaka. Well, I met someone today who worked in an office building that Case toured earlier this week, and she said that lots of folks she knew who shook his hand suggested that he had their support... because they were too nice to tell him they were voting for Akaka. (She was also annoyed that he came into their workplace in the first place.) So I suspect his "too nice/too scared" theory easily cuts both ways.
                              Last edited by pzarquon; September 22, 2006, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                                Who needs research.... I need to get one of those "Picking" Parrots that PZ has. I will be so happy when this is over...know matter who wins.
                                It's that kind of ignorance and apathy that shows Hawaii as a whole has a helluva long way to go when it comes to educating the electorate about the importance of open democratic elections.

Comment

Working...
                                X