Case versus Akaka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Case versus Akaka

I'm actually surprised that Case's challenging of "the old guard" Akaka doesn't seem to be adversely affecting his general standing in the democratic party.

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry
      I haven't read the entire thread so I don't know if its been discussed but Akaka has been against the Iraq war and against the Patriot Act. Case is more aligned with what Bush has promoted.
      Case definitely has some Republican leanings... but then again, Hawaii did elect a Republican governor, one against whom the local Democrats have proven themselves completely impotent. Also, despite our reputation as a Democratic state, polls have consistently found that most Hawaii residents think the Iraq war is a mistake, but also feel we should stay to finish the job. In the end, I think the Iraq issue will be a wash - especially since Case has been waffling enough so that he can bend his words to fit any crowd.
      Originally posted by Vanguard
      I'm actually surprised that Case's challenging of "the old guard" Akaka doesn't seem to be adversely affecting his general standing in the democratic party.
      It hasn't? At the local level, the party machine is publicly shunning and shaming him. The treatment he got at the convention was something else. At the national level, several Democratic colleagues in both the House and Senate, if I recall, publicly backed Akaka when Case announced his bid... something that's actually uncommon, and evidence that Case's move is not sanctioned by the party.

Case is facing an uphill battle, but I also don't think it's as dire as some say it is. And the longer "they" pretend he's not a threat, the more potent he becomes. He's got a lot of things he could be successfully challenged on, so I wish his opponents would do so, rather than tsk-tsk him and hope he goes away.

Case's conservative, pro-business leanings are troubling, as is his overall attitude this race. Yet, I'm voting for him, as are most of the long-time Democrats I know. That should give someone, somewhere pause.

Comment

• Questioning Case’s Patriotism

Truly a defining moment in the campaign. I think it will hurt Case from both a union standpoint as well as making him appear “un-American.”

Jones Act splits Case, Akaka

... U.S. Rep. Ed Case, Akaka’s rival in the Democratic primary for Senate, has broken with the rest of the state's congressional delegation on the need for the Jones Act in Hawai‘i ...

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

I lean Democrat, but even I have reservations about the Jones Act. I guess it's a liability for party-liners, but obviously that's not the group Case is going for.

The "national security" aspects of the Act is probably where the best traction is, but from an economic standpoint, its hard to not doubt a law where most of its relevance is explained in exemptions. Exemptions for the now-revived cruise industry here. Exemptions for American Samoa and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. Exemptions wanted for local producers who currently have to weave goods through Canada.

We can still require ships to be U.S. flagged and operated to address the majority of the objectives of the Act. But requiring that these vessels be manufacturedin the U.S. sounds pretty backwards to me. Do we require all government agencies drive American cars? Sure, we preserve our small shipbuilding industry, but at what cost?

Comment

do we have a poll around here to see who the HTers would vote for in the '06 election? If not, can we add one to the top of this thread?

pax

Comment

• Poll

Poll added, per request.

Comment

• Re: Poll

I am looking for it, Adminiczar. Whitherfore it stay? Where dost da buggah lie?

Thanks a nui.

=================
                edited because now I found it.

</jumping da gun>
                Last edited by Pua'i Mana'o; July 10, 2006, 09:32 AM.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                  "He not young! He just as makule as you!"
                  MAMA's mean-streak again, eh? I think I know who taught you the art of "Whack-Whacks," Lynn.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                    MAMA's mean-streak again, eh? I think I know who taught you the art of "Whack-Whacks," Lynn.
                    I not writing nuttin...she's in da back of me!

I going on onnada thread!

Auntie Lynn

Update: 1:00 p.m.
                    Last edited by 1stwahine; July 10, 2006, 01:01 PM.
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

• Case, Republican in Lieberman closet

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                      do we have a poll around here to see who the HTers would vote for in the '06 election? If not, can we add one to the top of this thread?
                      A poll, what a great idea! And it's up and running! Would that this government's democracy under which we live be so responsive and adaptable!?
                      ............ ........ ....... ...
                      Age, experience, seniority play key roles in Akaka v. Case (2006/07/09)
                      U.S. Sen. Daniel Akaka, D-Hawaii, and U.S. Rep. Ed Case, D-Hawaii, have become locked in a “generational battle” for Hawai‘i’s other senate seat ... Whether Akaka can still be effective in Washington and whether Case can convince voters that Akaka is past his prime is at the center of this year’s heated race.

Being of Case's generation, I do not at all see Akaka vs. Case as a "generational battle". It is first and foremost a political, an ideological battle.

Rep. Ed Case and Sen. Joe Lieberman walking together holding hands would be a lot more than what would meet the eye. http://www.politics1.com/lieberman.htm
                      --Case, 53, said he’s running to take Akaka’s seat to begin shifting power from Hawaii’s current senators to a newer, younger generation of political leaders. --
                      When it is a Sen. Joe Lieberman mindset operating inside young pretty boy Ed's skull there is nothing "newer" about Case's politics.
                      --Case, who hails from the Big Island, says his deep love for Hawaii also has motivated him to run for higher office.

“I believe my overall political philosophy and style better fits the people of Kauai and Hawaii overall,” he said.--
                      Interesting that Case should say such, when the overall attitude I've come across in several face-to-face discussions with prospective voters is: "Ed Case? If I want to vote Republican I'll vote Republican."
                      Last edited by waioli kai; July 10, 2006, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• Akaka-Case National Journal Ratings Show Strong Differences

http://tinyurl.com/hx89n

". . . many people are saying the reason that the Lieberman/Lamont race garners so much attention is because of the Iraq war. They should start paying larger attention to the Hawai'i primary. The contrasts between Akaka and Case are just as strong. Case rubberstamped Bush's war in votes during June, and Akaka was one of the 13 good Senators who voted for the Kerry/Feingold amendment calling for a withdrawal of troops."

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                          Yes, Hawai‘i Threads has officially become a publisher of shameless propaganda, thanks to Aunty Lynn. See how difficult it is to control, waioli kai? Sometimes this kind of stuff just leaks through, despite the best intentions of “media organizations.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                            Yes, Hawai‘i Threads has officially become a publisher of shameless propaganda, thanks to Aunty Lynn. See how difficult it is to control, waioli kai? Sometimes this kind of stuff just leaks through, despite the best intentions of “media organizations.”
                            Ahem. "The material published on HawaiiThreads.com represent solely the views of the individual user that posted it, and not neccessarily that of the HawaiiThreads.com community at large, nor its moderators and owners."

Aunty Lynn has made no secret of her support of Ed Case. Meanwhile, the unofficial, unscientific poll attached to this thread demonstrates more support for Akaka at this point. Other users are staunch supporters and opponents of other candidates, and of other political ideologies and positions on a multitude of issues.

One user's proclamation of her personal opinion does not a statement of policy or propaganda make.

Comment

• Re: Akaka-Case National Journal Ratings Show Strong Differences

Originally posted by raatz
                              ". . . many people are saying the reason that the Lieberman/Lamont race garners so much attention is because of the Iraq war. They should start paying larger attention to the Hawai'i primary.
                              Thanks for posting that, Raatz, though the link was jumbled. Here's the quoted blog post by D.C. blogger Kris Schultz, which cites this post at the Swing State Project. Both focus on the National Journal's ratings on a Liberal-Conservative scale, and some related commentary on the Akaka-Case race.

It's always interesting to see what someone outside Hawaii thinks about local politics, at least within the context of parties and loyalties.

So, the National Journal scorecard rates Case's "liberal" qualifications at 61 percent economic, 64 percent social, and 58 percent foreign policy, versus Akaka's 90 percent, 82 percent, and 99 percent. Definitely quite a contrast, especially between two Democrats. Of course, that's where Case's "DINO" rep comes from.

But, as the analyses linked above also note, it's a surprisingly close race, despite those differences, and despite Hawaii's reputation as a Democratic state. (Sure, we elected a Republican governor, but some call her a RINO -- isn't politics fun?) So Case's platform seems to have some traction here.

By the by, my wife has just notified me that we differ on the Akaka-Case race. Therefore, our votes cancel each other out, and my participation in this contest is now one purely of unsolicited commentary and mockery.

Comment

To silence da Lambs...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Auntie Lynn
                                Last edited by 1stwahine; July 11, 2006, 10:55 AM.
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X