• Show
Clear All

Re: Hiring out of state people for County jobs

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    Oh, I don't know about that.
    Or, as attorneys often say: It depends.

Comment

Re: Luring Hawaii cops to the Mainland

There's such a shortage of police officers up here that some cities in the state of Washington are actively recruiting officers from Honolulu to move up here. The latest city is Federal Way, which is just south of Seattle.

"...Washington police recruiters are looking to take advantage of upheaval at the Honolulu Police Department where officers are upset over the chief's plan to cancel a popular work schedule.

Recruiters for the Federal Way Police Department plan to be in town March 28-30 to conduct written and oral tests for anyone interested in filling up to 16 police officer positions in the Puget Sound area..."

What's sad is that of all the civil service jobs, it would be the most advantageous for a jurisdiction to hire police and fire fighters from its own community, because these people already know the area and the people they would serve. Most other civil service jobs don't really require that kind of extensive knowledge. Hopefully the HPD will be able to find a solution which will keep more of its officers in Hawai'i. It surprises me how little the HPD pays its officers for putting their lives on the line the way they do.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
      X