Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Racism going extinct

Originally posted by Paul
    His use of the word retard shows a bigotry towards the mentally challenged which is akin to racism.
    "Mentally challenged"? Are you kidding?

Paris Hilton is "mentally challenged." Mental retardation is a whole 'nother problem.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
      "Mentally challenged"? Are you kidding?

Paris Hilton is "mentally challenged." Mental retardation is a whole 'nother problem.
      I think the operative word that's missing in order to make that phrase "PC" is MENTALLY, as in "mentally retarded". Paris Hilton is socially and emotionally retarded, not mentally retarded, as in someone with Kleinfelter's syndrome or Trisomy 21 ("PC" and the medically correct terminology for Down's syndrome). To be socially or emotionally retarded is subjective; to be mentally retarded is very objective.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        I think the operative word that's missing in order to make that phrase "PC" is MENTALLY, as in "mentally retarded". Paris Hilton is socially and emotionally retarded, not mentally retarded, as in someone with Kleinfelter's syndrome or Trisomy 21 ("PC" and the medically correct terminology for Down's syndrome). To be socially or emotionally retarded is subjective; to be mentally retarded is very objective.

Miulang
        OK, I'll try again: Paris Hilton is mentally challenged. (She clearly is not socially challenged.)

Sugar-coating medical conditions by deeming them "challenges" is absurd. People who are mentally retarted are retarded, not "challenged." Sorry, Homey don't play that.

Comment

I have "Mentall Illness" das dat count foa sumting?

Everybody too serious tonight!

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Saying someone is "mentally retarded" is completely different from calling them a "retard". As someone who has worked with learning disabled kids, I find the word offensive. It's the same as calling a Japanese person a "jap".

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
              Yes it sounds like you are trying to defend Hitler...sorry to say.
              That being said, I don't agree with Tim Kona all the time. But
              he does speak to truth. It seems you can't accept that fact
              or oblivious to it.

You wouldn't be raking him over the coals every time if the
              latter was not the case. It seems you have a deep personal
              grudge against him(that is really obvious). All I can say is
              the truth hurts...deal with it..
              The link to the article I posted is the truth. It wasn't made up in any way. You can't accept the fact that a black man was treated better in nazi Germany then he would have been in the good old USA of the time. You deal with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                Trisomy 21 ("PC" and the medically correct terminology for Down's syndrome).
                Thank you - I did not know this term before.

One of the former dancers in our halau has this condition, but her family still called it "Down Syndrome" (perhaps because they didn't think we would recognize any other description, and didn't feel like educating everyone they came in contact with.) When I worked with members of Seattle's Deaf community, the majority insisted on calling themselves "deaf," and made their displeasure clear if you used the term "hearing-impaired."

Political Correctness can end up being as offensive as slang terminology to members of an affected class, due to the limiting nature of trying to find one word or phrase to cover a wide group of people - something that generally fails.

The upside to PC-ness is that it shows an attempt to avoid using older terminology that the user may not realize is offensive. But as language evolves, what is a "nice" descriptive one day becomes "offensive" the next.

Originally posted by Madazza
                Paris Hilton is mentally challenged.
                As am I, on a daily basis. I want - nay, NEED to be "challenged" mentally on a daily basis - stimulation of my mind, ongoing education, new ways to stretch my synapses - I seek them out.

But I know what you meant, Maddie. I enjoy the daily challenge of NOT dealing with the concept that is "Paris Hilton." Today, I lost the battle yet again.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                  The link to the article I posted is the truth. It wasn't made up in any way. You can't accept the fact that a black man was treated better in nazi Germany then he would have been in the good old USA of the time. You deal with this.

Re-read what I wrote, you love to take pot shots at Tim Kona because you
                  don't like people who speak their mind apparantly. The truth hurts..deal with it.
                  Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                  X