Clear All

Re: Big Island Citizens for Better Government

[QUOTE=Aaron S]
    Simply put I hate the Hilo rain. I simply cannot stand it one bit. That is
    the primary reason why I would never move to Hilo. On top that there
    is not that many good jobs over in Hilo, unless you consider Wal-Mart
    a good job
    QUOTE]

I don't consider WalMart a good job but then again is Kmart?

Yes the cash cow remains the resorts of West Hawaii however East Hawaii needs to understand that tax dollars should be doled out appropriately and the only way to fairly share the cost of government is to start developing East Hawaii. And yes like you said that will probably never happen so long as the county council's lopsided balance remains tilted towards the east.

For me I think separate county governments is the only solution to this island. But when I said demographics, I meant people like myself who don't really give a rip about East vs West because on Oahu there isn't that much of a division unless you're talking water rights

I understand the plight of West Hawaii and the "second fiddle" attitude East Hawaii takes on West. Working for the Gas Company I saw it first hand from the managers in Kona not being able to make course corrections in their management of the West Hawaii office while the predominantly Japanese East Hawaii office called the shots. I felt sorry for Wayne Daimaru because he couldn't be the boss he was hired to be in Kona. Lots of times I would send stuff directly to his Kona office so his warehouse could get the needed supplies before Hilo could pick off what they wanted first.

But it's gonna take a demographic change from transplanted residents like myself who would love to see a unified Hawaii Island and not this county bickering that's going on in our beloved council.

Aaron this won't happen overnight, it will take generations to undo what has happened between east and west Hawaii. Hopefully this organization can point the people of Hawaii Island in that direction however it cannot be this us vs them mentality if progress is to occur. It starts with new blood in the system to start this vision of change.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I certainly hope that WHCBG can be a force for the politics of YES.

Kona lacks infrastructure due the activist mentality perpetrated by folks rooted in the politics of NO. Last night at the HiluHilu public hearing, a hundred people showed up to say NO for a variety of reasons. You gotta love it when folks protest the construction of a University.

I've been to several public hearings in Hilo, for several different infrastructure projects. The reason Hilo has so much wonderful infrastructure is because nobody shows up to those public hearings. Kona could learn a lesson or two.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

yeah because it's always raining here is why nobody shows up

Actually people here are so hungry for anything that when word came around that Home Depot was going to be built in Hilo a few years ago, residents here stopped buying their material from HPM and Home Depot and Lowes in Kona in anticipitation of it's arrival.

Their anticipation is apparent in the rumors about Costco building here within 2-years. Home Depot here in Hilo has exceeded even their own (HD Corporate) expectations of income breaking sales records for every comparable month for a store of similar size and demographics nationwide.

One thing that totally amazes me is with the sheer size of the Big Island, I can't imagine why East Hawaii must ship it's opala all the way to West Hawaii when there must be an adequate site somewhere in between. The Big Island really needs a H-Power plant to take care of some of it's refuse.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
          y
          One thing that totally amazes me is with the sheer size of the Big Island, I can't imagine why East Hawaii must ship it's opala all the way to West Hawaii when there must be an adequate site somewhere in between. The Big Island really needs a H-Power plant to take care of some of it's refuse.
          As far as I understand, there is not enough trash overall islandwide to make
          H-Power viable here. As for building another dump, it is my understanding,

A. The federal government requirements for new dumps to meet strigent environmental regulations makes building a new dump unfesible

B. It is my understanding too that there is groups chomping at the bit to
          contest any new dump in Hilo.
          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
          The Kona Blog

Comment

I don't consider WalMart a good job but then again is Kmart?
            Yes I consider Kmart to be a good job.. but that is getting off topic.

Yes the cash cow remains the resorts of West Hawaii however East Hawaii needs to understand that tax dollars should be doled out appropriately and the only way to fairly share the cost of government is to start developing East Hawaii. And yes like you said that will probably never happen so long as the county council's lopsided balance remains tilted towards the east.
            If the USSC accepts this appeal, it may bring change sooner
            http://aaronstene.blogspot.com/2006/...othe-ussc.html

For me I think separate county governments is the only solution to this island. But when I said demographics, I meant people like myself who don't really give a rip about East vs West because on Oahu there isn't that much of a division unless you're talking water rights
            Maybe in my lifetime this may happen. But in the near term, only the legislature can create political subdivisions (e.g new counties). I
            would bet you a bottom dollar that the Oahu legislators would not
            go for this.

http://www.hawaii.gov/lrb/con/conart8.html

Aaron this won't happen overnight, it will take generations to undo what has happened between east and west Hawaii. Hopefully this organization can point the people of Hawaii Island in that direction however it cannot be this us vs them mentality if progress is to occur. It starts with new blood in the system to start this vision of change.
            We shall see what happens. In the meantime, aint nothing going to stop me from voicing my opinion about the problems facing this island.
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
              Last night at the HiluHilu public hearing, a hundred people showed up to say NO for a variety of reasons. You gotta love it when folks protest the construction of a University.
              I live right above the proposed project. I am very much undecided either way
              about Hiluhilu. Mostly because the traffic impacts. Hiluhilu should be required
              to build a conforming mauka makai connecting road and not use Makalei Estates
              main roadway to connect to Highway 190. Hiluhilu needs to connect to Queen Kaahumanu using grade separation and not add another stop light.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

For anyone that is interested in Sundays West Hawaii Today there is a letter
                to the editor from me published in that edition.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Yesterday, Hawaii County Council voted 7-2 in initial reading, to have 1/2 of the meetings on the Kona side. True to form, crooked old Jimmy Arakaki voted against it.

I think Isbell is feeling the heat. But it still makes me laugh that Kona voters were silly enough to choose her over Joe Rosner. Just goes to show you that liberal ideaologies are thicker than common sense.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Yesterday, Hawaii County Council voted 7-2 in initial reading, to have 1/2 of the meetings on the Kona side. True to form, crooked old Jimmy Arakaki voted against it.
                    Crooked Jimmy Arakaki doesn't exemplify how crooked he is. He wanted to
                    have the charter commission when it convenes in four more years address
                    this issue.. what a joke..
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

May 17th, a busload of Kona agitators is headed to Hilo to testify FOR having half the council meetings on the Kona Side.

Funny how aggressive we have to get just to reach a little parity.
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Maybe the council could meet half way like Volcano or Hamakua or something in the middle. With all the technology we have why can't they just tele-conference from their own offices?

Comment

We have tele-conferencing from Kona Mayors Office. But it's just not as effective as person to person.

Should be a mob scene at Council Chambers for this meeting.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

The mob scene never materialized. A few of us showed up in Hilo to testify.

Council voted 5-4, coming 1 vote shy of getting it on the ballot. I guess Kona don't need 1/2 the council meetings.

The same old same old. Kona voters will likely choose others in the fall.

<sigh>
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

We have tele-conferencing from Kona Mayors Office. But it's just not as effective as person to person.

Should be a mob scene at Council Chambers for this meeting.
                              Kona has it's own Mayor? Now that would be something

Comment

Looks like the group is losing steam. Too bad. And with nobody stepping up to challenge Isbell, Pilago, or Jacobson, Kona can be assured of the same treatment. Liberal Suicidal Utopianism keeps people like this comfortably in office.
                                FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Working...
                                X