NW Hawaiian Islands to be off-limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NW Hawaiian Islands to be off-limits

The single biggest impact this will have in our actual everyday lives here in Hawaii will be that much of the fish we enjoy will be imported rather than from Hawaiian waters. Even though there were only nine vessels licensed to fish there (with little possibility of ever over-fishing the area) these operators put a significant amount of some of our favorite fish on the table including opakapaka and onaga.

Comment

Now officially called the Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument

First lady Laura Bush this morning gave the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Marine National Monument a name: Papahanaumokuakea. Pronounced Pa-pa-ha-now-mo-ku-ah-kay-uh, the name comes from an ancient Hawaiian tradition concerning the genealogy and formation of the Hawaiian Islands.

(Honolulu Advertiser 3/2/07)
      It would've been nice if the Advertiser provided an actual translation and correct spelling. As it is, I am forced to check dictionaries and guess at the exact meaning:

Papa (reef) + hānau (birth) + moku (islands) + ākea (public) = the public islands where reefs are born?

Hey all you mānaleo, am I even close?

(There's a web site, too.)
      Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; March 2, 2007, 12:11 PM. Reason: Whoops, messed up the spelling

Comment

Ah, I shouldn't have bothered. This just in, from the web site's email list:

The name Papahānaumokuākea (pronounced Pa-pa-ha-now-mo-ku-ah-kay-uh) comes from an ancient Hawaiian tradition concerning the genealogy and formation of the Hawaiian Islands. Papahānaumoku (who is personified in the earth) and Wākea (who is personified in the expansive sky) were two of the most recognized ancestors of our people. Their union resulted in the creation or “birthing” of the entire archipelago. “Papa” which means “foundational earth,” provides the imagery of the numerous low flat islands that stretch across into the northwest. “Ākea” provides the imagery of the “expanse – of space.” From Mauna “Ākea” on Hawai’i Island to the low flat “Papa” of the northwest, the physical features define our homeland and Hawaiian identity. The preservation of these names, together, as Papahānaumokuākea, strengthens Hawai‘i’s cultural foundation and grounds us to an important part of our historical past.

Papahānaumokuākea is a name that will encourage abundance and energize the continued procreative forces of earth, sea, and sky. It reminds us that it is spiritual inspiration that supports the physical world. Papahānaumokuākea will help to continue life for everything that pro-creates, gives birth, a continuum, everything that is part and parcel of our world, the Hawaiian archipelago.

For more information please contact Kekuewa Kikiloi, Native Hawaiian Cultural Program Coordinator of the Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument: Kekuewa.kikiloi@noaa.gov

Comment

Papahanaumoku is the goddess who birthed the islands. Her husband was Wakea. Genealogies differ slightly, but the jist of a "really short one" is this:

Wakea and Papahanaumoku had their first born. His name is Hawaii. Then they had their second one; his name is Maui. After birthing islands, Papa went home to Kahiki to rest a bit. At that time, two other women caught Wakea's eye: Hina, who birthed Wakea's son Moloka'inuiahina and Ka'ula, who birthed Wakea's son, Lana'ika'ula.

A kolea bird flew to Kahiki and told Papa what was going on, that Wakea had two punalua for Papa. She did not take this news well, and had an affair of her own. With Lua, she births her son, O'ahu. Wakea did not take this news well either and wished no punalua relationship with Lua. Casting these lovers aside, Wakea and Papa reconcile and birth Kaua'i, then Ni'ihau. The afterbirth is known as Kaho'olawe.

Wakea and Papa also have a daughter, Ho'ohokukalani. Wakea wishes to marry this daughter of his, but Papa wouldn't allow it. To solve this, Wakea set up the moon calendar as we know it, and on the 'ole nights, he was able to steal away time with Ho'ohokukalani. They have their firstborn, who dies as a miscarriage. They name him Haloalaukapalili and bury him. From his grave, the first kalo is born. They have a second son, and name him Haloa. Haloa is considered the first man born of the akua.

In other genealogies, Ho'ohokukalani is credited for mothering Moloka'i and Lana'i, and in those Wakea is known as fathering O'ahu.

Halo to Kamehameha is approx 200 generations as far as the chant goes.

pax

Comment

Here are Mrs. Laura Bush's remarks at the announcement of the monument's new, Hawaiian name at Washington Place.
            The last Hawaiian monarch to reside here at Washington Place, Queen Lili'uokalani, wrote these beautiful words in a Hawaiian national anthem. In the song, she asks God to "Grant your blessings of peace throughout these islands." Today, as we give a new name to the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands, we ask that the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument be blessed with peace.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
              Here are Mrs. Laura Bush's remarks at the announcement of the monument's new, Hawaiian name at Washington Place.
              The press conference was quite funny, and it's actually reflected in the first sentence of PZ's link to the official White House transcript.
              Lingle had the opening remarks and then introduced Mrs. Bush, and in her first few words Mrs. B. mispronounced the name "Lingle". The audience chuckled... Mrs. B. realized her mistake, then did the "And that's not even Hawaiian" line with a big smile. Audience loved it. Good on Mrs. B. for a good sense of humor!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Has anyone noticed the price of Tuna has gone up way over 100% since this national monument became reality? The cheapest I've seen was $1.15 for the same can of tuna that pretty much stayed between 50-cents to 69-cents since the 70's.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  Has anyone noticed the price of Tuna has gone up way over 100% since this national monument became reality? The cheapest I've seen was $1.15 for the same can of tuna that pretty much stayed between 50-cents to 69-cents since the 70's.
                  Doubtful it's really had any economic impact just yet. How much tuna do you think we were getting from that area? I think the monument is a good idea. I wonder if those who protest open-ocean aquaculture would have protested planting crops on aerable lands when the mainland was being settled centuries ago. Probably. Would you eat farmed tuna if it were available and cheaper? Why or why not, Craig?
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                  X