Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethnic politics?

In the Primary Election thread, Kamuelakea said:
    We could have skipped all the vote counts and just gone on demographics once again. Political party means nothing, political philosophy means nothing. Its all about ethnicity. Oh, and don't forget the time honored tradition of Hawaiis plantation Asian Democrats last minute smear whisper campaigns. Wouldn't be a Hawaii election without one of those.

Okay, everybody back to what you've been doing the past 50 years. Nothing's changed.
    How do you explain, then, that John Mizuno beat Terry Visperas in District 30, which is Kalihi Valley, the heart of Filipino Honolulu? Seems to me that all those Democratic voters liked their departing incumbent, Dennis Arakaki, and they decided that since Mizuno was Arakaki's right-hand man, he'd be a good replacement. It wasn't their ethnicity that got Arakaki elected and re-elected so many times, and Mizuno elected to replace him -- it was their politics.

Re: Ethnic politics?

There are a few examples in Hawaiis history where ethnic bloc voting demographics were not predictive of the actual election outcome, but they are rare.

I knew Case would lose cuz he was a "republican" haole running in the historically plantation asian district. Can't win.

Don't act surprised Glen Miyashiro. Hawaii is one of the least RACIST places in the world but also one the most RACIAL places in the world. Race rules nearly every thought that flows through our minds whether we realize it or admit it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
      We could have skipped all the vote counts and just gone on demographics once again.
      If you are suggesting that the electon process be replaced by the cenus demographics to determine the outcome of the various races, I don't think it's pracitical.

It way more cost effective to have the people come to the polls to vote then to send people door to door to find out their ethnicicy and even then such data maybe out of date by the time to choose the candiates.

If you want to predict political races based on ethnicicy or demographics that's fine with you, but there are only predicitions. What truely matters is the actual vote counts.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
        If you are suggesting that the electon process be replaced by the cenus demographics to determine the outcome of the various races, I don't think it's pracitical.
        I was being facetious to make a point about Hawaii's election outcomes for the past 50 years.

One definition insanity is to continue to repeat the same action but expect a different result.

I think most of Hawaii's people are not happy with the way Hawaii has turned out after 50 years of TOTAL plantation asian domination. But a majority of Hawaii's voters are still happy (HGEA, Unions, AJA voting block, Plantation Asian voters in general).

So you get the leaders you select and you deserve them.

Aloha

Comment

Kamuela, these trends are changing and will continue to over the next 15 years (mahalo to Hawaii Business magazine when they put that article out this past year).

-Hawaii is getting "whiter".
          -Island-born is becoming outnumbered by conus-born. And they bring here their politics, their worldview, their baggage.

Plantation Asian is going to be the stuff of legend soon enough.

On another tangent, it was pretty empowering to see a Hawaiian in every race on my ballot. And my voting precinct is a mix of Hawaiian homesteaders, old Japanese and mega-church Christians (but we vote their Repub contenders down with at least 51% of the vote).

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
            Kamuela, these trends are changing and will continue to over the next 15 years (mahalo to Hawaii Business magazine when they put that article out this past year).

-Hawaii is getting "whiter".
            -Island-born is becoming outnumbered by conus-born. And they bring here their politics, their worldview, their baggage.
            I'm not one of those "good immigrants" "bad immigrant" people. I guess I'm more simple minded. Hawaiian is Hawaiian. Immigrant is immigrant. The plantation immigrants brought their "world view, baggage" etc to Hawaii and look around. How many people have I heard (celebrities, visitors etc) who say they like Hawaii because it's so "Asian". Most outsiders don't know the difference between a Japanese and a Hawaiian. Just the way the "locals" want it.

Yeah the Haoles will bring their baggage just like every other immigrant has. Is it going to be worse? I don't know. Got rich republican haoles and hippie live in a tent haoles and everything in between coming to Hawaii. Plus there is still a flow of samoans, micronesians, vietnamese, chinese, guamanians, etc etc all bringing their own "baggage".

All I ask is that they be themselves and quit trying to reinvent Hawaiian.

Comment

Puai, I must admit that seeing so many Hawaiian names on the ballot was a little bit nervewracking to me. It seems they are learning how to flex muscle for real.

The futility of the sovereignty movement is laughable. But the awakening of Hawaiians to the notion of getting their way from "within the system" is a powerful reality check.

Imagine the progress Hawaiians would have made in the last 15 years by abandonding crybaby sovereignty, and embracing political reality, with candidates, ideas, actions, and VOTES. Kawananakoa lost by a hair. I betcha more Hawaiians vote next goround.

I sense this awakening is happening with this newest generation of politically active Hawaiians. My hat's off to them. Salute!
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
                I'm not one of those "good immigrants" "bad immigrant" people. I guess I'm more simple minded. Hawaiian is Hawaiian. Immigrant is immigrant. The plantation immigrants brought their "world view, baggage" etc to Hawaii and look around. How many people have I heard (celebrities, visitors etc) who say they like Hawaii because it's so "Asian". Most outsiders don't know the difference between a Japanese and a Hawaiian. Just the way the "locals" want it.

Yeah the Haoles will bring their baggage just like every other immigrant has. Is it going to be worse? I don't know. Got rich republican haoles and hippie live in a tent haoles and everything in between coming to Hawaii. Plus there is still a flow of samoans, micronesians, vietnamese, chinese, guamanians, etc etc all bringing their own "baggage".

All I ask is that they be themselves and quit trying to reinvent Hawaiian.
                I agree with this. But the article (which I didn't commit all details to memory, although I recall the jist of it) pertained more to land and business ownership. And my eye is always on the economy.

What do you mean about "trying to reinvent Hawaiian"? My fear/ire is about those trying to "do away" with Hawaiian, instead of "reinvent".

pax

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                  Puai, I must admit that seeing so many Hawaiian names on the ballot was a little bit nervewracking to me. It seems they are learning how to flex muscle for real.

The futility of the sovereignty movement is laughable. But the awakening of Hawaiians to the notion of getting their way from "within the system" is a powerful reality check.

Imagine the progress Hawaiians would have made in the last 15 years by abandonding crybaby sovereignty, and embracing political reality, with candidates, ideas, actions, and VOTES. Kawananakoa lost by a hair. I betcha more Hawaiians vote next goround.

I sense this awakening is happening with this newest generation of politically active Hawaiians. My hat's off to them. Salute!

You know that Hawaiians have always participated in government here, right? In the last 15 yrs, Akaka has been in the Senate, we had Waihe'e as governor for two terms (86-94), we have Aiona now, and a smattering across the isles on the county and state levels.

That said, it was still quite fabulous to have kanaka choices throughout the ballot. But we won't empower ourselves through the system until we regain an advantage in business ownership throughout the isles.**

**and I am not even talking about sovereignty, just the status quo model.

pax

Comment

I had no idea that Hawaiians were supposedly at a "disadvantage" in business or economically. Would you mind providing some examples or proof ?? Would you also elaborate on the reasons?
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

timkona - as i recall we had this exact conversation in the Statehood Holiday thread.

As I recall, it was also an exchange that began with you and Pua‘i Mana‘o. Is there something going on between the two of you that we should know about? If not, let’s keep it on topic.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                        timkona - as i recall we had this exact conversation in the Statehood Holiday thread.

As I recall, it was also an exchange that began with you and Pua‘i Mana‘o. Is there something going on between the two of you that we should know about? If not, let’s keep it on topic.
                        Thanks for digging that up. Saved me from taking the bait.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                          I had no idea that Hawaiians were supposedly at a "disadvantage" in business or economically. Would you mind providing some examples or proof ?? Would you also elaborate on the reasons?

About as sadly an ignorant statement as one could make.

This is the kind of mentality that got us into Iraq and the mess we're in.

The Bushies figured, hey all we need is to set up Democracy in Iraq and all of the people will love us as liberators. Sounds good but it didn’t work out that way.

You can't force your ways on native people anywhere and expect that it's going to just happen. I'm not saying that it doesn't have to be done sometimes as in the case of Afghanistan or Japan WWII or Germany WWII. Trouble makers have to be taken down. Even Iraq might have been a good idea at one time but in hindsight, it's not working once again.

There are reasons that the Eskimos, American Indians and Hawaiians share shockingly similar socioeconomic, health and welfare statistics. It's not a coincidence.

Why are otherwise intelligent people so ignorant about history and this simple idea?

Comment

I am clinging desperately to the "all men created equal" thing. I am constantly reminded of how well Hawaiians do economically and academically by my friends who own their businesses, and their children in colleges. This years' election is just great with all the Hawaiian names on the ballot.

Everybody can be a success. That's the balls truth of it.

Excuse makers will try to undercut the one's they love most out of pure fear of success.

Optimism can be contagious.
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

That's true.

And yet I know two Hawaiians who are part of the local Portuguese Chamber of Commerce. And several who are in the JCC.

And none of these kanakz are either blood.

My statements are not me taking digs at the Man™. Screw the Man™. I don't believe in ceilings, even if the datahead in me pays attention to statistics.

I want my people to stand UP! Organize! We have the amazing ability to pull off baby luaus and high school graduation parties that cost us in the grands, but we aren't doing enough to mainstream our voices into the areas that those thrifty <ethnic other> buggahs do.

</rant>

pax

Comment

Working...
                              X