X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hirono vs. Hogue

Originally posted by kamuelakea
    Then how did she win.
    My Uncles and Aunties on dee Pilipino side!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
      Then how did she win. UH professors are a few hundred votes. That's not it. Teachers probably did give her a bunch of votes just because they hated Cayetano. There aren't enough Haoles (especially republicans) in hawaii to explain her victory. Somehow she was able to appeal to a certain percentage of the other voters.
      It was the teachers. And their families. And the families of the kids. Remember, there were TWO strikes, the HSTA and the UH professors that were almost concurrent. Jacked my family up! I had two kids in elementary school; neither one old enough to be left unsupervised. HSTA lasted three weeks. And Hirono was Lt Gov at the time.

It wasn't that LL was SuperHaole. It wasn't that Hirono was JapaneseEnough (everyone, imagine them with their capes on). It was us, who afterwards saw that school would NOT reclaim those three weeks to our kids. Our kids were the ones who lost. They didn't get no raise. And they didn't get their three weeks back. When I watched Hirono that night on the debate, I could have choked her myself using that lei around her neck, the *%*%* panty girl that she was, "demanding change". </spit, cuss>

For the first time in my life, I voted for a republican and helped send Maizie out that door.

pax

Comment

If I could vote in this race, I would vote for Robert Wilcox IV. (non-partisan). But if I could choose “none of the above” I would darken that circle in a heartbeat. That’s how disgusting the choices are. As for Hirono being phony, I doubt it. She really is that blond. That’s what makes it so scary.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

sigh

so many clips that aren't on youtube. I would love to dig up that old debate.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
            If I could vote in this race, I would vote for Robert Wilcox IV. (non-partisan). But if I could choose “none of the above” I would darken that circle in a heartbeat. That’s how disgusting the choices are. As for Hirono being phony, I doubt it. She really is that blond. That’s what makes it so scary.
            She really is that blond
            What you got against blondes besides the fact you can't get one for yourself
            This not the ethnic politics thread

Hirono vs. Hogue... I like Hogue... He used to be a sports journalist!
            Last edited by damontucker; September 25, 2006, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
              My Uncles and Aunties on dee Pilipino side!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn

Kalamai Aunty, you right, I didn't mention the Filipino vote. Filipinos are the largest single ethnic group in hawaii I believe. And they are not ethnic bloc voters like the AJAs tend to be. Filipinos love to support Filipinos when they can but they will support anyone who they believe has them at heart. Fasi, Harris, and many other non-Filipinos have had the strong support of Filipinos.

It is to their credit that they vote with their heart and mind as much as their ethnicity I think.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                What you got against blondes besides the fact you can't get one for yourself
                Apparently, you don’t know me as well as you thought. But then again, to answer your question blond wife didn’t help Matt Matsunaga any more than it helped Quentin Kawananakoa.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

I'd like to see early poll numbers. If they're even close on Oahu, Hirono's in, because I don't think there's any way the neighbor islands are voting for a Republican "celebrity" from Honolulu.

Pua`i, you know I love you enough that I'd fly over there and marry you if you weren't spoken for, but it isn't necessarily the fighters who are the successful reps on the Hill. There's something to be said for nice, and as I've written elsewhere, I think Hirono has the right kind of nice that I think she could really be something in D.C. There's no way I'd have voted for her for governor, even if I liked Democrats, but if I had a vote and if Aaron Anderson weren't a better candidate, I'd seriously consider voting for Hirono.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Smooches and warm fuzzies right back at ya, Scriv, and I freely admit that mines is a visceral reaction, based on five years of wanting to choke that genteel woman's neck. Indulge me further a bit of blood pressure, if you will.

When she mentioned in frustration that "the status quo is unacceptable and we need change" in her debate against LL, I saw an opportunity for her to take responsibilty, even if it was a token gesture, and she ducked out. Helloooooo Ms Status Quo! Had she have handled herself a bit differently, as a long-time member OF the machine® she would have redeemed herself to me, and to a whole bunch of us who sat on the sidelines, followed the news, coffee-klatched it over the years, and sang dirges for the demise of the once-strong Dem party of Hawai'i.

Cayetano got two votes out of me, not because of his stunning personality or his bitchen hairdo. As Lt Gov, he pushed for the A+ afterschool program. As a latchkey kid myself, and having spent countless afternoons crunched at work and grateful that my kids had the A+program to attend and safely remain, I could say that I never regretted his contribution in government, because it had a direct impact on my life.

Similarly, Hanabusa couldn't get my vote, once I was reminded that she voted to oust Bronster from the AG office. That decision was purely political-critical, and taught me that she could be bought out from being right.

brubmgrumblegrrumblerrrr ok I confess this: I am passionate about politics. I consider myself to be shrewd on the issues, but inethical behaviors for the sake of political gain chaps my butt. And I could have forgiven Mazie many things had she have had the grace and good sense to acknowledge her role in the ineptitude that Hawaii's govt was as a fait accompli. But she nevah. So that's not being quiet and effective (a trait I admire in people, but cannot consider in MH); it is cellophane politics.

um, as for Aaron Anderson...uhhhh....well, er, ah. You got me there.

pax

Comment

Hmmmmm Hirono=smart, did some good things in the Leg.,but a loser in the gubernatorial..... Hogue=conservative wing-nut sportscaster, hasn't done crap in the Leg. but make bad speeches...... Hirono's got the Dem Machine, and myself on her side . Hogue has some lame-o speech about "good-guys" (heard it HATED it) . I really would have preferred Hanabusa, she gets my respect AND fear.

Comment

There's a story on Hirono by Congressional Quarterly carried on the New York Times website:

On Their Way: Hirono Gets Back Into Hawaii Democrats' Good Graces
                        Just four years ago, Hawaii Democrat Mazie K. Hirono was seen by some in her party as a has-been: The incumbent lieutenant governor had lost the governor’s race to Republican Linda Lingle — ending a Democratic gubernatorial winning streak in the state that extended back to 1962. Yet the exposure she received during that campaign and throughout a lengthy public service career nonetheless played a large part in a comeback this year that appears certain to send her to Congress in January: Hirono defeated nine opponents to win the Sept. 23 primary in Hawaii’s solidly Democratic 2nd District. The win makes her the all-but-certain successor to two-term Democratic Rep. Ed Case, who waged an unsuccessful primary challenge to Sen. Daniel K. Akaka.

It also makes her a member of CQPolitics.com’s “On Their Way” club, made up of open-seat candidates who, because of their personal strengths and the partisan leanings of their districts, appear shoo-ins for the November elections.
                        According to CQ, then, the race is already over.

Comment

Considering how little we’ve heard from Hogue since the obligatory media coverage of his win, it would seem CQ is making a sound prediction. He’s less educated on the issues than his primary opponent Quentin Kawananakoa who he barely defeated by a handful of votes. He has less campaign cash. I’ve never seen him stand up to Joe Moore when he was a sports anchor. Likewise, I’ve never seen him take a well-researched, emotionally charged stand against democrats (like Sam Slom) in the state legislature for that matter. And unlike Hirono, he has never held statewide office.

So why would all those who voted for Hirono (plus all those AJA old-timers who ignored the primary but plan to show up in the general) suddenly turn around and pick him?

USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Lingle doesn't have the coat-tails to propel Hogue to a win, much less GOP gains in the state legislative races.

Comment

This might be a stunning concept but issues might be a big deal in a Congressional race.

Iraq, Foley, lack of executive oversight, Washington corruption might also be relevant to the voters.

Comment

I think issues are always important to voters, regardless of what race it is. Fortunately for Hirono, Hogue so far hasn’t demonstrated the wherewithal or forked over the money to articulate his position on the issues.

If a wad of cash fell into his lap tomorrow, though, it’s still too late. Hogue rode in on his TV background, and Kawananakoa’s loss of Hawaiian votes to Akaka. As the Jerry Drelling race demonstrated (what did he run for again?), being a former local anchor alone does not a winner make.

Frankly, I’m beginning to question whether he is in it to win it in the first place. There’s been numerous “photo-op” style news segments that the stations and papers appear only too ready to air. Hogue’s face has been conspicuously absent.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X