Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New smoking ban

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
    Want to get rid of smoking? Get the government to outlaw tobacco. But guess why ($$$$$) they never will...
    Actually, does the phrases "Prohibition" and "War against drugs" mean anything to you? Simply outlawing it doesn't work. All we'd do is make AlohaKine and people like him an outlaw.

We're killing it from the demand side. Or at minimum, make it less of a problem for the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad White View Post
      I am also glad to be able to breath air without smoke... I put up with smoke in public places for decades. I dreamed of the day that this would come to pass. I never thought it would. I was held hostage to those smelly fumes for too long. You would come home from a restaurant or a gig and your clothes stank from the smell of cigarettes. I would have to change my clothes and wash my hair to be rid of it. Finally, finally we can go out and breath air free of smoke. For almost 6 decades I had to put up with rude smokers imposing their smelly bad drug habit. Sitting on an airplane with smokers!!! There were times I was ready to go up and pull their dam cigarettes right out of their mouths, I was so fed up with it. Yes I got angry about it. I began calling those organizations to find out what we could do to change it. Things did change... it was slow, but we did it. People have come around. It is like being liberated!!! .. the smokers are dying out.

If you want to smoke, fine... just do it where no one but yourself has to endure it. I am not going to feel sorry for you.
      I agree, we do want to leave you alone in our own special smoking bars for us. I've noticed that our illegal smoking "dens" don't cause to much public outcry since guys like you have plenty of seperate but equal bars where our yummy smoke doesn't go in your places because they are totally seperate buildings. Smokers are starting to flee to these places and non-smokers are leaving them for non-smoking venues. It would seem that the market is responding to the problem and accomidating everyone. The cheating bars are now as high as 90% smokers only, save for a few highly smoke tolerant non-smokers that still go there.

Why should this concept be illegal. If it is made legal, it would be painful for the non-smoking bars to go back to smoking because of the clientele shift and likewise for smoking bars to go non-smoking. Just like the homosexuals decades ago had illegal "homo dens" which are now legal gay bars. The gays do their gay stuff where they feel safe and the straights that may take offense to their actions have many bars where that activity doesn't take place.

Can anybody tell me way this is unfair????

Comment

• New Smoking Ban is a Joke

Take a walk up Kalakaua. Locals, tourists, street performers, all chain smoking blowing their stinky 2nd hand smoke in everyone's faces. Stroll up the beachwalk alley next to Cheesecake Factory and you'll encounter dozens of smokers at any one time. Look into the palm sand enclosures and you'll find 100's of ciggie butts.

Keep going to the beach in front of the Royal Hawaiian. Again, chain smokers everywhere, not caring who/where their cancerous smoke goes. They all stub their ciggie butts into the sand. No respect for our beaches.

When is everyone going to wake up and ban smoking completely in public? Many, many California beach towns have done just that and going to the beach to breath fresh air is once again a great thing.

Get rid of these smokers. They are the rudest of the rude. Who needs them? I say charge $20 a pack. Use the money for anti-tabacco programs.

It's also sad to see all these addicted people puffing away. They look miserable and totally addicted.

Comment

• Re: New Smoking Ban is a Joke

Aloha Gent! Welcome to Hawaii Threads.

Uhhhh...we already have a Thread dat covers the New Smoking Ban
          http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...ead#post151384

It's been discussed heatedly from both sides.

Feel free to join in.

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
            Aloha Gent! Welcome to Hawaii Threads.

Uhhhh...we already have a Thread dat covers the New Smoking Ban
            http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...ead#post151384

It's been discussed heatedly from both sides.

Feel free to join in.

Auntie Lynn
            ahhh, that thread is much too long and outdated. Mine is fresh and new and doesn't require sifting through 25 pages of threads

Comment

Originally posted by Gent View Post
              ahhh, that thread is much too long and outdated. Mine is fresh and new and doesn't require sifting through 25 pages of threads
              Ahhhh...but it doesn't work dat way.

Betcha ya it's going to be combined with the odda thread sooner or later.

Because it's the "SAME" topic!

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

From the HT FAQ:
                Search before you post. This is "rule number one" on many message boards. Before starting a new topic, it is important to be sure that the topic hasn't already been introduced. There may be an older thread that is very relevant to what you want to address, and your new contribution will only be strengthened by reviving the existing conversation. It's natural to think that every new development warrants a new thread, but try erring on the side of keeping related messages together. If you absolutely must start a new thread, please start off by referencing and linking to the older one.

Comment

The real joke is that all a bar has to do to not get fined is;

HRS328J -9 Post no smoking signage

and

-11d Inform violators of the provisions of the law.

That's it, many places still don't know this. The DOH and AG's office have been forced to admit that this is the minimum required. They will try to say other things such as remove all ashtrays and tell people that they personnally want them to go outside, but it ain't anywhere in the law, so it is only their SUGGESTION and worth about 2 cents.

This is why the bars that bragged about it can't be fined by anybody. The police have shown they can fine smokers in the case of The 71 year old women, but they weren't able to fine the bar even though the bar said in the newspaper that they allow "smoke at your own risk".

Time to end this economically hurtful and unnneeded law.

Comment

The real joke is that all a bar has to do to not get fined is;

HRS328J -9 Post no smoking signage

and

-11d Inform violators of the provisions of the law.

That's it, many places still don't know this. The DOH and AG's office have been forced to admit that this is the minimum required. They will try to say other things such as remove all ashtrays and tell people that they personnally want them to go outside, but it ain't anywhere in the law, so it is only their SUGGESTION and worth about 2 cents.

This is why the bars that bragged about it can't be fined by anybody. The police have shown they can fine smokers in the case of The 71 year old women, but they weren't able to fine the bar even though the bar said in the newspaper that they allow "smoke at your own risk".

Time to end this economically hurtful and unneeded law.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                      Betcha ya it's going to be combined with the odda thread sooner or later.
                      And the envelope please.

<drum roll> <paper riping sounds>

It's Sooner!

Comment

Take a walk up Kalakaua. Locals, tourists, street performers, all chain smoking blowing their stinky 2nd hand smoke in everyone's faces. Stroll up the beachwalk alley next to Cheesecake Factory and you'll encounter dozens of smokers at any one time. Look into the palm sand enclosures and you'll find 100's of ciggie butts.

Keep going to the beach in front of the Royal Hawaiian. Again, chain smokers everywhere, not caring who/where their cancerous smoke goes. They all stub their ciggie butts into the sand. No respect for our beaches.

When is everyone going to wake up and ban smoking completely in public? Many, many California beach towns have done just that and going to the beach to breath fresh air is once again a great thing.

Get rid of these smokers. They are the rudest of the rude. Who needs them? I say charge $20 a pack. Use the money for anti-tabacco programs.

It's also sad to see all these addicted people puffing away. They look miserable and totally addicted.

I can feel the love. Why don't yah just ship us to a desert island to starve to death. Ban littering yes, but don't ban us just because we smell a little different. Last week, somebodies unleashed dog ran up to me on the beach and got me all wet when it "greeted" me. I was in street clothes. Dat's life, I'm not going to ban dogs or try to take it away. A friend of mine stepped on a broken bottle under the sand and cut his foot bad, but a lot of people, mostly NON-SMOKERS can still legally bring bottles to the beach.

There are so many smokers in one place because almost everywere else is off limits. If we had smoker's clubs inside, it wouldn't bother you.

P.S. I love to smoke and would never quit. If smokers are miserable, it is because of this bigoted smoking ban being forced on them. We get treated WORSE than under Jim Crow laws. We don't even get a run down smoker's only room that's 100% seperate ( enterance from the OUTSIDE to a totally seperate room - where it can't drift over to your area ), we get the street and the parking lot.

Comment

Here's a bar in England that has found a creative way to get around a smoking ban:

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/06/27..._pub_decl.html

No idea if the same loophole would work in Hawaii.
                          "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

Originally posted by modpirate View Post
                            Here's a bar in England that has found a creative way to get around a smoking ban:

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/06/27..._pub_decl.html

No idea if the same loophole would work in Hawaii.
                            Or, maybe the bars could change their business names from bars to "church of God for smokers." Some churches serve bread and wine and it's accepted all over the world. The new church can substitute peanuts for bread and a little Jack Daniels for wine. The new church would be open 24/7. The sermon would be heard from a flat screen TV..

Disclaimer: If you're thinking the God I speak of is your God who does not approve of smoking or drinking, I want to make it clear now, that I was talking about the other one.
                            Last edited by Mililani; June 30, 2007, 04:54 PM.
                            A proud sponsor of
                            http://www.haleamano.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mililani View Post
                              Or, maybe the bars could change their business names from bars to "church of God for smokers." Some churches serve bread and wine and it's accepted all over the world. The new church can substitute peanuts for bread and a little Jack Daniels for wine. The new church would be open 24/7. The sermon would be heard from a flat screen TV.

Disclaimer: If you're thinking the God I speak of is your God who does not approve of smoking or drinking, I want to make it clear now, that I was talking about the other one.

I wonder how many Christians smoke

You know I'm not a smoker and I honestly don't care what people inhale if that's their poison...But my kids are always quick to point out the bad smokers that flick their butts on the ground. They're the ones that give smokers the bad name. It wouldn't be so bad if those butts were biodegradable but they aren't. I mean even during the 4th of July and New Years Eve, most of us who add to the smoke and noise pollution typically will clean up the mess we created. When was the last time you saw a smoker who flicked his butt get out of his car and start cleaning up?

Kudos to those who use their ashtrays and dump them appropriately. Shame on those who litter.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                                I wonder how many Christians smoke
                                There really are a lot of smokers that call themselves Christian, and I can't say I agree or disagree just because they smoke, because I'm not a scholar on Christianity. For years I thought if you smoked you were not Christian and could not attend church for you would not be welcomed. Maybe the new church won't be a Christian church?? Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about?? Now thats quite possible.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                                Kudos to those who use their ashtrays and dump them appropriately. Shame on those who litter.
                                I know I should be used to it because it happens so often, but I'm still shocked when I see people flick their butts and have no care to where it goes. My husband will do a double-take when I tell them, "sheesh, the trash can is right there!" LOL
                                Last edited by Mililani; June 30, 2007, 05:40 PM.
                                A proud sponsor of
                                http://www.haleamano.com

Comment

Working...
                                X