New smoking ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New smoking ban

After it being shot down here in VA, they are trying again. I would like to see it pass, but I don't think it will happen.

not sure what religion has to do with it though?
    Last edited by TATTRAT; June 30, 2007, 06:23 PM. Reason: type-o
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Comment

Originally posted by Mililani View Post
      There really are a lot of smokers that call themselves Christian, and I can't say I agree or disagree just because they smoke, because I'm not a scholar on Christianity. For years I thought if you smoked you were not Christian and could not attend church for you would not be welcomed. Maybe the new church won't be a Christian church?? Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about?? Now thats quite possible.

I know I should be used to it because it happens so often, but I'm still shocked when I see people flick their butts and have no care to where it goes. My husband will do a double-take when I tell them, "sheesh, the trash can is right there!" LOL
      I agree. I own a pocket ashtray, it's a mini sliding ashtray so littering doesn't happen. Ding littering - not us. Fine the guy for the litter, not just for being a minority group. If some bone head throws his Pepsi bottle on the ground, should you ban drinking Pepsi in public?

Also, I think most people are reasonable like you and thank you. I've found in my travels that about 2% are "antis." Trouble is that often only the extreme ends of an issue bother to testify for or against it.

As for Christians, I know pastors that smoke. The bible doesn't talk about it. When done in excess. it may be a small sin, but that's life and we are all human.

As for Catholics, check this out. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...30/ai_15458648

Any church has to be a business as well as a platform for God's grace. Keeping the lights on costs money. The Catholic church is too smart to damn a third of its members for a quasi-sin.
      Last edited by AlohaKine; June 30, 2007, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by modpirate View Post
        Here's a bar in England that has found a creative way to get around a smoking ban:

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/06/27..._pub_decl.html

No idea if the same loophole would work in Hawaii.
        That's not in our law, not straight forward anyways. There are three ways out in fact, all of them difficult or strange however. It's not a solution because loopholes tend to get closed. Worst comes to worst, bars may do one of the three just to hang on.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
          Fine the guy for the litter, not just for being a minority group. If some bone head throws his Pepsi bottle on the ground, should you ban drinking Pepsi in public?
          Unfortunately, fining the guy throwing his Pepsi bottle on the ground didn't work. Too many weren't caught and the litter piled up everywhere. Hence HI-5.

I wonder if that's what we'd have to do with cigarettes?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
            Unfortunately, fining the guy throwing his Pepsi bottle on the ground didn't work. Too many weren't caught and the litter piled up everywhere. Hence HI-5.

I wonder if that's what we'd have to do with cigarettes?
            The fastest way for bums to get "high-5's" is to spill the trash can into the street and leave it a mess. I've seen it. Should we ban high 5?

Comment

I think if it says 5-cents you should get 5-cents. Anything less is deceptive.

I actually thought about the idea of a deposit on cigarette butts. But for smokers that would raise the cost of a pack of smokes even higher and since can you recycle butts?

My feelings is that there shouldn't be any filter at all on cigarettes. There's probably more chemicals in that end of the cigarette than the other. Smokers know that they're not going to get any healthier with each drag so why try with a filter? At least tossed out non-filtered cigarette will biodegrade in due time.

I honestly believe non-filtered is safer anyway. My grandmother smoked three packs of Camels a day all her life and she died at 97 from old age.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                I think if it says 5-cents you should get 5-cents. Anything less is deceptive.

I actually thought about the idea of a deposit on cigarette butts. But for smokers that would raise the cost of a pack of smokes even higher and since can you recycle butts?

My feelings is that there shouldn't be any filter at all on cigarettes. There's probably more chemicals in that end of the cigarette than the other. Smokers know that they're not going to get any healthier with each drag so why try with a filter? At least tossed out non-filtered cigarette will biodegrade in due time.

I honestly believe non-filtered is safer anyway. My grandmother smoked three packs of Camels a day all her life and she died at 97 from old age.
                Did you know that the world record holder for old age was a smoker until age 117? Take a peak.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Calment

Comment

• Re: New Smoking Ban is a Joke

I can feel the love. Why don't yah just ship us to a desert island to starve to death. Ban littering yes, but don't ban us just because we smell a little different. Last week, somebodies unleashed dog ran up to me on the beach and got me all wet when it "greeted" me. I was in street clothes. Dat's life, I'm not going to ban dogs or try to take it away. A friend of mine stepped on a broken bottle under the sand and cut his foot bad, but a lot of people, mostly NON-SMOKERS can still legally bring bottles to the beach.

There are so many smokers in one place because almost everywere else is off limits. If we had smoker's clubs inside, it wouldn't bother you.

P.S. I love to smoke and would never quit. If smokers are miserable, it is because of this bigoted smoking ban being forced on them. We get treated WORSE than under Jim Crow laws. We don't even get a run down smoker's only room that's 100% seperate ( enterance from the OUTSIDE to a totally seperate room - where it can't drift over to your area ), we get the street and the parking lot.
                  We don't want your stinky habit. We don't want your cancerous fumes in our faces. If you want to smoke, don't be so rude and selfish by thrusting it into our faces.

2nd hand smoke kills 53,000 a year. You addicted smokers are all the same, me, me, me. Take your addiction and quit or leave. Pathetic.

Comment

Did you know that the world record holder for old age was a smoker until age 117? Take a peak.
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Calment

When you're done looking at that little piece of anecdotal supportive evidence take a "peak" at this sad compilation:

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/notables.html

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                      Ahhhh...but it doesn't work dat way.

Betcha ya it's going to be combined with the odda thread sooner or later.

Because it's the "SAME" topic!

Auntie Lynn
                      Using your logic, the war in Iraq and WW1 are the same topics, since they're both "war"?

Or drugs are destroying our youth and drugs save people are the same topic since they're both "drugs"?

You're getting silly, aren't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Gent View Post
                        Using your logic, the war in Iraq and WW1 are the same topics, since they're both "war"?

Or drugs are destroying our youth and drugs save people are the same topic since they're both "drugs"?

You're getting silly, aren't you?
                        Silly? Nah...Pupule!!!

I told ya...it's COMBINED!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Using your logic...You're getting silly, aren't you?
                          Actually, we defer to the "logic" of the board's admin, who in this case, has seen fit to agree with 1stwahine - your discussion of the state's smoking ban is the same topic as an existing thread discussing the same smoking ban (not a different battlefield.)

Gent, may I suggest you get to know some of the regular posters around the board, like 1stwahine, before you attempt to explain their behavior? Personally, I hope you can try to be a little more open-minded, regarding those who hold opinions on this issue that do not coincide with your own. You and AlohaKine seem to represent the extreme perspectives on this topic, both with a posting style that is insulting to those who disagree - that type of dialogue will not help to find a compromise on this issue. This could easily degrade into a nasty back-and-forth between you, while I suspect most people are somewhere in the middle on this, more accomodating, and more willing to continue discussion as long as there is a certain level of respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            Actually, we defer to the "logic" of the board's admin, who in this case, has seen fit to agree with 1stwahine - your discussion of the state's smoking ban is the same topic as an existing thread discussing the same smoking ban (not a different battlefield.)

Gent, may I suggest you get to know some of the regular posters around the board, like 1stwahine, before you attempt to explain their behavior? Personally, I hope you can try to be a little more open-minded, regarding those who hold opinions on this issue that do not coincide with your own. You and AlohaKine seem to represent the extreme perspectives on this topic, both with a posting style that is insulting to those who disagree - that type of dialogue will not help to find a compromise on this issue. This could easily degrade into a nasty back-and-forth between you, while I suspect most people are somewhere in the middle on this, more accomodating, and more willing to continue discussion as long as there is a certain level of respect.
                            Your suggestion is ignored. When it comes to smoking I don't give opposing viewpoints the time of day.

Comment

Your suggestion is ignored. When it comes to smoking I don't give opposing viewpoints the time of day.
                              I take the same viewpoint as you Gent but I've learned (from this message board) that you cannot ram your opinions down another person's throat much like you don't take others opinons without prejudice.

Yes second hand smoking does kill non-smokers but then again those non-smokers choose to be in that same environment as those who do smoke.

Alohakine and the rest of here on HT have learned to accept each others ideals and vices. This thread has moved from flaming to productive dialog (with occasional humorous banter). You need to look back at previous posts on this topic to understand how we on this board have come to some mutual understanding on this subject.

I hate smoking, but you know what? In a few days I'll be adding to the woes of smoke in the air when I celebrate the 4th of July.

We're all hypocrites and racists, it's just a matter of perspective as to how much we believe to be what we are.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post

Yes second hand smoking does kill non-smokers but then again those non-smokers choose to be in that same environment as those who do smoke.
                                not to quibble the point, but none of those babies in car seats asked to be in the same car as their parents/grandparents who are puffing away as they drive. Of the dear friends I've had who were/are smokers, their babies and children always smelled like cig smoke. It was/is always so hard to not physically recoil and/or confess alarm at what their addictions were doing to their kids.

pax

Comment

Working...
                                X