Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New smoking ban

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    Ah, you're a cheap date, birthday girl. I'll even add a piece of Big Boy's world-class strawberry pie to the deal.
    Thank you VERY much for the info!
    Without giving away too much info on the place, what kind of grindz they serve there?
    Thanks again, and Happy Birthday again too!
    They have a small menu, basically American style food...sandwiches, hamburgers (fresh patties), white meat, red meat...stuff like that!

Strawberry pie?????? <drool!>

Speaking of birthday...and food...I'm outta here!!!

Comment

I don't know if this is the same place, but I know a little bar and grill in the city that is like that. They serve burgers and steaks and not much else and have a small bar area. It's kind of downstairs in a way.

My girlfriend and I haven't gone out to eat since November, since restaurants won't even allow it in the outside seating and most bars that let people cheat serve little or no food. When I found out about the place, I took her there and she was thrilled since we both smoke. They were really cool and I had a great time and she was on cloud 9. I left a very fat tip.

The latest inside info; the health departments warning letter has been revised due to complaints to the Attoney general's office which had to admit that all a bar has to do is have the signs up and tell people about the law. The DOH tobacco control program knew this all alone. The 3rd revision is now finally close to accurate. Why did it take so long, a lawsuit, and vocal compliants for the truth to come out?

The health department can't and won't enforce the ban until the admin. rules ( #81 ) are set. The health department and AG can control the time table by stalling things out untill the time is best suited to them. Keep in mind that this was the same DOH that said they would be done by April and then also said November. Said the first year was for "education" , then months later admitted it was because of the admin. rules. The same health department that wants to look the other way untill the coalitions "economic study" is finished before they crack down.

What is more, I was at my favorite sports bar and the AG's police came in looking for non-stamped ( smuggled ) cigs for sale. Of course they didn't find any because that bar doesn't do that. They looked the other way to the ashtrays with butts in them and the smokey air. Just to be safe we put our's out for the time they were in there. When they left, fat cigars and cigs got lit again. Ahhhh Yaaah.

Comment

If you own pets and are a smoker, please don't expose those pets to your second hand smoke! You could be facing some pretty expensive vet bills if your cat comes down with mouth cancer or malignant lymphoma, dogs might develop lung or nose cancer, and even birds might develop lung cancer or pneumonia.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
          If you own pets and are a smoker, please don't expose those pets to your second hand smoke! You could be facing some pretty expensive vet bills if your cat comes down with mouth cancer or malignant lymphoma, dogs might develop lung or nose cancer, and even birds might develop lung cancer or pneumonia.

Miulang
          Oh. please! An animal now trumps a human beings rights. I'm in favor of kindness to animals but this goes too far. So smokers have to bend to the desires of animals based on shabby "studies" and out and out lies.

There's a "triple threat" out there now. It's called "third hand smoke". The anti's latest invention. I sh*t you not. Clothes and furniture that smell like smoke they say, now represents a real health danager. The trird hand smoke monster is out to get yah!

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
            Oh. please! An animal now trumps a human beings rights. I'm in favor of kindness to animals but this goes too far. So smokers have to bend to the desires of animals based on shabby "studies" and out and out lies.

There's a "triple threat" out there now. It's called "third hand smoke". The anti's latest invention. I sh*t you not. Clothes and furniture that smell like smoke they say, now represents a real health danager. The trird hand smoke monster is out to get yah!
            I didn't say smokers should stop smoking, only that if they choose to smoke that they don't expose any pets they may have to it because the vet bills ain't cheap. I had a cat once who developed a nose tumor (and I don't smoke). It cost me close to $1,000 for the chemo to get her well, but in my book, she was worth it.

If you don't have companion animals or birds living in your house, then don't worry about it. You have a choice of smoking or not; pets don't.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
              I didn't say smokers should stop smoking, only that if they choose to smoke that they don't expose any pets they may have to it because the vet bills ain't cheap. I had a cat once who developed a nose tumor (and I don't smoke). It cost me close to $1,000 for the chemo to get her well, but in my book, she was worth it.

If you don't have companion animals or birds living in your house, then don't worry about it. You have a choice of smoking or not; pets don't.

Miulang
              If there is no smoke, what caused the tumor? Radon gas is the primary cause of lung cancer in non-smokers. It's not in Hawaii in volume. The much reported EPA study violated the radon act. It was so in federal court. The anti-smoking paid liars uses this disproven "data" to this day. It's one of their primary weapons.

Comment

If there is no smoke, what caused the tumor? Radon gas is the primary cause of lung cancer in non-smokers. It's not in Hawaii in volume. The much reported EPA study violated the radon act. It was so in federal court. The anti-smoking paid liars uses this disproven "data" to this day. It's one of their primary weapons.
                You obviously don't have any dogs or cats which you think are more valuable than an inanimate object. So continue on with your smoking...disregard these studies. My cat got the nose tumor because she had a stubby nose and she always had a runny nose from the time I got her from the animal shelter. She lived to be 18 years old (and she was about 7 when she had her tumor). My point was that vet bills are just as expensive as when people see the doc.

Miulang

Comment

You obviously don't have any dogs or cats which you think are more valuable than an inanimate object. So continue on with your smoking...disregard these studies. My cat got the nose tumor because she had a stubby nose and she always had a runny nose from the time I got her from the animal shelter. She lived to be 18 years old (and she was about 7 when she had her tumor). My point was that vet bills are just as expensive as when people see the doc.
                  Miulang, I'm a animal lover, and ever since I was a child I've had pets from canaries to dogs and cats. The closest relationship I had to a pet was to my cat Sammy. Even though I'm a smoker, I didn't smoke around him and he lived to be 21 yrs.old.

My vet used to marvel at how good my cat looked when I took him in for his yearly examination and exclaimed that I must be taking very good care of him to have lived so long and for him and to look so good at his advanced age. He eventually passed away from liver failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Beau View Post
                    Miulang, I'm a animal lover, and ever since I was a child I've had pets from canaries to dogs and cats. The closest relationship I had to a pet was to my cat Sammy. Even though I'm a smoker, I didn't smoke around him and he lived to be 21 yrs.old.

My vet used to marvel at how good my cat looked when I took him in for his yearly examination and exclaimed that I must be taking very good care of him to have lived so long and for him and to look so good at his advanced age. He eventually passed away from liver failure.
                    Beau, that tells me that you're a compassionate animal lover who cares about the health and welfare of your pets. That's a very long time for any pet to live, so I know you took very good care of him. My cat eventually died from kidney failure and old age. It was very sad to let her go.

Miulang

Comment

I think animals are ok. Thing is that I was forbidden to have any pets as a child and my condo association bans them from my home as an adult. Never in my life have I been permitted to own a dog or a cat. The kind of folks that make these kind of rules are the same people that want to take away 200,000 peoples right to enjoy a smoke on a night out with friends in a place where the person in charge wants smoking based on customer desires. Very sad.

Maybe one day I could if $600,000 fell from the sky so I could afford a single family home and have a pet. Single family homes are the play object of the rich. Hawaii has done an excellent job restricting development to keep working folks from ever having the American dream. I drive accross the center of the island and see vast expanses of undeveloped land. The haves tell the have nots that it is because there is no more space. Thing is that my eyes still work.
                      Last edited by AlohaKine; September 2, 2007, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I think animals are ok. Thing is that I was forbidden to have any pets as a child and my condo association bans them from my home as an adult. Never in my life have I been permitted to own a dog or a cat. The kind of folks that make these kind of rules are the same people that want to take away 200,000 peoples right to enjoy a smoke on a night out with friends in a place where the person in charge wants smoking based on customer desires. Very sad.
                        I agree with that sentiment.

Maybe one day I could if $600,000 fell from the sky so I could afford a single family home and have a pet.
                        Thank goodness my condo association allows owners to have pets. And whenever I'm walking on the street in front of my building, I'm amazed at the large number of people walking their dogs. Me thinks many landlords aren't aware their tenents have pets.

Alohakine, if your situation ever changes I suggest rescuing a dog or cat from the Hawaiian Humane Society. Many rescued pets show (or seem to show) undying gratitude for being saved, and therefore make excellent and loving pets.

My cat eventually died from kidney failure and old age. It was very sad to let her go.
                        I know Miulang, the hardest thing I had to do was to put my cat to sleep. But he was old and suffering. I now have his ashes in a Butsudan which was blessed by a Buddhist Priest during the funeral services I had for him.

Comment

Beau, You're correct. I've always wanted to have a cat. If I do, I risk, loosing my home. I think I need a ciggy.

Comment

The kind of folks that make these kind of rules are the same people that ....
                            Like a lot of things, you can thank the few irresponsible pet owners out there for a rule that punishes all.

Comment

There's an excellent article in the star bulletin today in the Gathering Places section of the Star Bulletin. Mr. Crowley really hits the nail on the head.

http://starbulletin.com/2007/09/18/e...ommentary.html

He's right, a cheap one dollar pocket ashtray is not going to fix a real problem until common sense legislation is passed. If anything, it only reminds our visitors how unwelcome they are here if they smoke. I don't blame HTJ for trying, what they really should be doing is actively advocating legislative change to fix the problem. It's the only way to solve this disasterous smoking ban.

Comment

Deborah Zysman's coalition now has a new website up about how to ban smoking IN A PERSON'S OWN HOME against their will. Right now they are using the kids in the home excuse. But it goes beyond that and shows her out and out shameless bigotry and hatred of smokers. It advocates landlords and condo associations banning smoking even if no children are present, even if it isn't bothering anyone and even if the resident OWNS the condo.

How to file lawsuits against your neighbors, how to evict folks from their homes just because they smoke, and even how to force it down the throats of condo owners that aren't bothering anybody through condo associations.

The department of health tobacco control department thinks this is cool and so does the anti's little b*tch, the Attorney General named Bigot Bennett. What is this dudes problem, isn't he supposed to fairly represent all the citizens of this island. Bigot Bennett is a mockery of a sane human being and an open disgrace to his office. He should resign or be fired NOW! Does anybody know why he goes out of his way to hate smokers so much and attacks us so often. If you do please post it. This isn't the first time this cur went out of his way to attack smokers.

If what these anti groups are doing offends you as it does many, joining Hawaii Smokers Alliance online is an excellent option. Remember this is the group that stood up to Bennett's testimony and Zysman's cabal and killed their sinister beach and park smoking ban bill in commitee this year. The group is also a friendly group of folks that knows how to hang out and have a good time at smoker friendly bars. Had a small band of us not shown up, you could rest assured it would be law right now.

And to top it off, the site claims it is not discriminatory. Wrong!!!!! They claim grounds in the gray area of the law, which have failed on occasion in the past. So discriminating against obese people is legal to, I guess because they are not a "federally protected class". As for landlords foolish enough to force this, the ACLU has and appearently will sue the landlords if the residents scream for help loadly enough. I can promise you if they tried this on my building, I as a condo owner would sue in a heartbeat.
                                Last edited by AlohaKine; September 21, 2007, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X