New smoking ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New smoking ban

<quote> I will say that in the case of tourists from Australia and Canada, the smoking bans here are totally irrelevant in their decision to come to Hawaii or not, seeing as how both those countries have anti-smoking regulations that are, in many ways, stricter at home than what exists in Hawaii and the rest of the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_smoking_bans_in_Australia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_smoking_bans#.C2.A0Canada[/quote]

Allow me to provide a comment from the frozen north. In my province, the push for tobacco bans/restrictions has been ongoing for a long time. Previously, the provincial government mandated that indoor smoking would be restricted to bars, if they were completely enclosed and separately ventilated. Of course, many bars opted to spend the considerable amounts necessary on construction to accomodate the law, and thereby retain the smoking crowds, who accounted for a disproportionately large amount of their profit margin. The idea was to allow for a phase in period over a number of years, to allow the public to get used to the idea of eventual total bans on indoor smoking, and also let the bar owners recoup their investment. So of course, we have a change in governing parties, and their first mandate is to ban the smoking rooms, years ahead of the original plan. The result is that once again, small business owners pay for the vagaries and hypocrisies of our duly elected leaders; and of course, many bars close, and many more lay off staff. The predicted influx of non-smokers who would flock to bars if only the smoking was banned? I guess they stayed home.

For my two cents, the government's policy on smoking is pure hypocrisy. Tobacco is a legal product, and no one is more hooked on it than those who tax it. I won't elaborate on the many other debates except to say that those non-smokers who claim to be "paying" for smoker's health care costs seem to neglect a couple of facts: smokers are paying the same amount in health care costs, plus the additional taxes on the product itself. I've never seen a credible study that shows the cost of health care for smokers versus the extra taxes contributed by smokers; I suspect that such a study would not bolster the arguments by the abolitionists. (By credible, I mean not sponsored or inspired by either side of the debate). Second, while smokers are more likely to get sick, the grim reality is that they typically get a lot sicker, and die much more quickly, than the non-smoking crowd. Net result: lower life expectancy = lower health care costs.

One final tale: Ontario just banned smoking in cars when children under the age of 16 are present. Shortly thereafter, a cop pulled over a car where he recogised the passenger to be underage, and the parent was smoking (small town, cop knew them by sight). While writing the ticket, the "underage" passenger got out and lit up. WTF??, you say? Yes, it's true; while the parent can't smoke in the car with said minor, and while said minor can't legally purchase said smokes, there is nothing illegal about this minor using the product.

It's pretty clear just how much the government cares about its citizens here in the People's Republic of Ontario.

Comment

Well it looks like those anti-tobacco folks have scored another major victory. The cigarette tax in Hawaii is going up another 4 cents, 2 cents (or 40 cents a pack) this year, the remainder over the next two years. With the federal tax now in place a pack is going to be costly, $8.00 or so is my guess.

In addition, the tax on chew, snuff, and little cigars is also going up from 40% of the whole sale price to 70%.

The anti-tobacco folks are really like the Energizer Bunny “they just keep on going.” I would think the bar owners who continue to allow smoking should start getting a little concerned it’s just a matter of time until they also will have to pay the piper.

Comment

• And then, there's this...

...www.truthout.org/042009HA

The bright side, out of the hundreds of chemical agents in the typical ciggarette, only 60 of them possibly cause cancer..., and yet, I still don't feel the desire to light up.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

DH smoked for 35 years until a month ago. Now the gum and patch people get the money, sans federal and state tobacco taxes. The price increases tagged onto a recent bout of bronchitis along with continuing complaints from condo neighbors accumulated to break the camel's back.

I think that people will get their ciggies elsewhere. That's what was happening in South Carolina--folks had North Carolinians ship them down or took a day trip up to tobacco country to buy them cheaper.

Comment

• Re: And then, there's this...

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            ...www.truthout.org/042009HA

The bright side, out of the hundreds of chemical agents in the typical ciggarette, only 60 of them possibly cause cancer..., and yet, I still don't feel the desire to light up.
            The article says, "Only about one in 10 smokers gets lung cancer". I wonder how that compares to non-smokers. How many non-smokers in 10 gets lung cancer? More? Less? Same?
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
              The article says, "Only about one in 10 smokers gets lung cancer". I wonder how that compares to non-smokers. How many non-smokers in 10 gets lung cancer? More? Less? Same?
              It's not the same as answering your question, but about 10% of lung cancer cases are in non-smokers (approximately 17,000/year). The primary causes are radon, asbestos, air pollution and "passive smoke" (a/k/a "second-hand smoke"). Non-smokers who reside with a smoker have a 24% increase in risk for developing lung cancer when compared with other non-smokers. Each year, up to 3,000 lung cancer deaths are estimated to occur in the U.S. that are attributable to passive smoking.

Comment

If the percentage mentioned is accurate, that'd be pretty amazing, and a death nell to many anti-ciggie factions. No worse than anything else, eh?
                Now, if they could just make the damn things with smoke that isn't so irritating and quell the smoker's breath syndrome, that is often even worse than the smoke smell, I'd be a happy camper.

Candy cigarette anyone?
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                  If the percentage mentioned is accurate, that'd be pretty amazing, and a death nell to many anti-ciggie factions. No worse than anything else, eh?
                  That is why I wondered. 1 out of 10 smokers get lung cancer. So, if then 1 out of 10 non-smokers get lung cancer, well, that could strongly indicate that smoking is not that dangerous.
                  But, if only 1 in 20 or 1 in 50 non-smokers get lung cancer, then that might be showing a definite increase in lung cancer for smokers (1 in 10).
                  We need a cancer expert around here, where is our resident nurse?

Comment

Keep in mind that I didn't find the percentage Amati was seeking (yet). What I quoted (from a number of medical sites) was a statement that ten percent of lung-cancer cases were in non-smokers - meaning that 90% of lung-cancer cases are in those who smoke.

But it's rare to find a smoker who doesn't already know the risks and statistics, and still makes a conscious choice to smoke. Statistics also tell me that it's risky to get behind the wheel of my car and hit the roads - but I still do so when I wish/need to.

I don't smoke - but I won't demonize all those who do.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      It's not the same as answering your question, but about 10&#37; of lung cancer cases are in non-smokers (approximately 17,000/year). The primary causes are radon, asbestos, air pollution and "passive smoke" (a/k/a "second-hand smoke"). Non-smokers who reside with a smoker have a 24% increase in risk for developing lung cancer when compared with other non-smokers. Each year, up to 3,000 lung cancer deaths are estimated to occur in the U.S. that are attributable to passive smoking.
                      These were the findings of the EPA's 3000 figure in Federal Court by Judge Osteen.

"It is clear that Congress intended EPA to disseminate findings from the information researched and gathered. In this case, EPA publicly committed to a conclusion before research had begun; excluded industry by violating the Act's procedural requirements; adjusted established procedure and scientific norms to validate the Agency's public conclusion, and aggressively utilized the Act's authority to disseminate findings to establish a de facto regulatory scheme intended to restrict Plaintiffs ( Tobacco Manufacturers )
                      products and to influence public opinion." In conducting the ETS Risk Assessment, disregarded information and made findings on selective information; did not disseminate significant epidemiologic information; deviated from its Risk Assessment Guidelines; failed to disclose important findings and reasoning; and left significant questions without answers. EPA's conduct left substantial holes in the administrative record. While so doing, produced limited evidence, then claimed the weight of the Agency's research evidence demonstrated ETS causes cancer."

http://www.davehitt.com/facts/epa.html

" The EPA fought to have Osteen's decision overturned on technical grounds. They succeeded in 2002 on the narrowest of technicalities. The fourth circuit court of appeals ruled that because the report was not an official policy document Osteen's court did not have jurisdiction.

In their appeal the EPA did not answer a single criticism on the 92 page report, nor challenge a single fact put forth by Judge Osteen. Not one."

To this day since the EPA numbers came out in the early 1990's , it has been mindlessly parroted by many government agencies without question or independent research because it fits their political agenda to ban smoking.

This famous junk science study set the stage for new even more wild, biased, and unscientific claims. Just is the EPA study had been rooted in a collection of small quasi-studies by anti-smoking fanatics, so would future studies. The anti-smoking lobby now proved that since the health community and media would parrot without question what they said, the truth no longer mattered. They also learned that for the most part they could get away with it in court. "3000 cancer deaths" would become the standard number, not because of the facts but because of money, publicity, influence, and a slick spin.

Comment

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1622701.shtml

I don’t know if I have figured this correctly, but here is what I think is the answer to my previous “wondering” (what percentage of non-smokers gets lung cancer vs the percentage of smokers who get cancer):

1) The earlier referenced article posted by Ron Whitfield states that 1 in 10 smokers get lung cancer.
                        2) CBS news reported (link at top of this post), “Thun’s team estimates that in the later ACS study, a rate of 17 out of 100,000 lifelong nonsmoking men per year died of lung cancer, compared with nearly 15 per 100,000 women who were lifelong nonsmokers”.

I realize that the first statistic is referring to “getting” lung cancer, while the second statistic refers to “dieing” from lung cancer. But even though, that difference in groups seems minimal when the numbers are compared. If my math is correct:

17 out of 100,000 nonsmoking men per year die of lung cancer.
                        10,000 out of 100,000 smokers per year get lung cancer.

To me, that shows a very high correlation between smoking and lung cancer. If anyone spots a math error, let me know, I’m the first to admit there might be some big math problem. Because 17 vs 10,000 sure seems a huge difference between smokers & nonsmokers!
                        Last edited by Amati; April 23, 2009, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Regarding the Osteen* decision: The Court of Appeals ruling vindicated the EPA report and the report remains in full standing. Whether Dave Hitt (master of "parroting") likes it or not.

(* - one justice from a tobacco state, North Carolina)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            Regarding the Osteen* decision: The Court of Appeals ruling vindicated the EPA report and the report remains in full standing. Whether Dave Hitt (master of "parroting") likes it or not.

(* - one justice from a tobacco state, North Carolina)
                            Maranda was never convicted of rape in the famous Maranda case because the cops didn't read him his rights. Does that mean Maranda is not a rapist?

* If you read the link you would find that the very year earlier, Osteen ruled against the tobacco industry on FDA regulation. Not exactly a lap dog for the tobacco industry.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                              Maranda was never convicted of rape in the famous Maranda case because the cops didn't read him his rights. Does that mean Maranda is not a rapist?
                              Failed argument. Upon retrial, Ernesto Miranda WAS convicted and served eleven years.

Comment

Are cigarette smokers suppressing their smokers' cough because others will give them the stink eye with the Swine Flu scare going on?

Comment

Working...
                                X