Our politician-soldiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Our politician-soldiers

Primary Election update! State Representative, District 42 results...

Republican Primary:
    1. Trevor Koch - 310 (73.1%)
    2. Blank Votes - 114 (26.9%)

Democratic Primary:
    1. Rida Cabanilla - 1,414 (57.9%)
    2. Tulsi Gabbard Tamayo - 558 (22.9%)
    3. Blank Votes - 224 (9.2%)
    4. Genaro Bimbo - 151 (6.2%)
    5. Gerald Vidal - 94 (3.8%)

Comment

As a final followup, the 2004 election also saw the successful passage of a Honolulu City Charter amendment which asked:

"Shall the Revised City Charter be amended to authorize the appointment of a temporary replacement for a Councilmember who, as a member of the military reserve or guard, is called to active duty for a period in excess of 180 consecutive days out of the State of Hawaii?"
      This of course is relevant for Charles Djou, City Councilmember and National Guardsman. When (not if, not really) he's called up for Guard duty, Djou will be replaced by someone appointed to his seat. But appointed by who? That part wasn't clear to me.

Comment

Probably the Chair of the City Council with confirmation hearings by the council. I'll have to ask my council sources how the process works though.

Chances are that now that the Charter amendment has passed, and before any of the above is scheduled, proceedures will have to be formulated by the council and a series of public/executive session hearings to scrutinize and amend accordingly will be held to finalize the whole process.

Of course, this is just off the top of my head (having worked there for a number of years). When I hear anything on this, I'll be sure to post the information.
        He leo wale no...

Comment

Blast from the past... local politi-blogger Doug White of Poinography notes that the Honolulu Advertiser published one of its "Dispatches" features this week featuring everyone's favorite politician-soldier, Tulsi Gabbard Tamayo.
          The chow hall is the melting pot for everyone. To me, it's cool to be able to sit down and talk with people from so many different countries and backgrounds who you wouldn't normally meet. Usually, they're happy to talk with us and have a hundred and one questions about Hawai'i, followed by, "I'd love to visit there one day." So we are doing our small part as ambassadors of aloha, bringing a little piece of Hawaiian sunshine to foreigners and locals alike.

Comment

Bless her heart! As a mom of three soldiers (two who were in Iraq the same time), one who was injured twice then sent to Afganistan less than a year and finally coming home anytime now, then having my youngest (new mother) being deployed...Ambassadors to the World and spreading the Aloha. Yeah, bless all their hearts, God bless all of our men and women of our Armed Forces and their families! I have gone without two of my children for the holidays over six years. What they do is their choice. They proudly serve and do their duty for our country. I must and have to remain silent, no matter what would or will happen. My views about the Middle East is unimportant. I stand by my children and all the rest of the Ambassadors of Aloha and America!
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
            X