Brian Evans..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brian Evans..

Shockingly, check out page 49 of The National Enquirer. It's the one with "Chandra Leavy" on the cover, and something about George Bush doing cocaine on the bottom banner of the front cover. The whole page is about Brian Evans' new CD.
    Last edited by KiheiDays; September 18, 2004, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Re: Honolulu Mayor's Race 2004 - Chapter 2

Shockingly, check out page 49 of The National Enquirer. It's the one with "Chandra Leavy" on the cover, and something about George Bush doing cocaine on the bottom banner of the front cover. The whole page is about one of this guys new albums. Interesting that it came out the day before the primary???

I am voting for Brian Evans. He's 34, young enough to grow into it.

Comment

Brian Evans - US Senator

I am voting for Brian Evans in the Senate race today, for the primary. I love a guy with piss and vinegar and this guy has both!

Comment

He came in 2nd in the primary!

More than or close to 8,000 votes. 2,000 more votes than the last guy who ran against Inouye in 1998.

Evans, it was mentioned, might challenge Republican Governor Linda Lingle in 2006.

That would be a lot closer than this election was. Frankly, Evans had some serious chutzpa to even challenge Inouye.

Comment

Primary Election update! U.S. Senator results...

Democratic Primary:
            1. Daniel K. Inouye - 112,116 (90.4%)
            2. Blank Votes - 5,561 (4.5%)
            3. Brian Evans - 4,721 (3.8%)
            4. Eddie Yoon - 1,610 (1.3%)

Republican Primary:
            1. Cam Cavasso - 17,683 (39.9%)
            2. Blank Votes - 11,624 (26.2%)
            3. Rich Payne - 6,582 (14.9%)
            4. Jay Friedheim - 5,046 (11.4%)
            5. James R. DeLuze - 3,357 (7.6%)

Non-Partisan Primary:
            1. Jim Brewer - 704 (73.9%)
            2. J. Turner Brown - 219 (23.0%)
            3. Blank Votes - 28 (2.9%)

Libertarian Primary:
            1. Jeff Mallan - 497 (83.7%)
            2. Blank Votes - 97 (16.3%)

Comment

This will be a 4 way race in the general election. Mr. Brewer qualified in the primary by outpolling the Libertarian Party candidate. More than likely Mr. Inouye will pick up an overwhelming number of votes and win another 6 years in Congress.

Mr. Evans ought to resume his singing career for now. Has anyone heard his music... Ivan, Ivan... I think he records adult standards.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Final Vote Tally:

Evans got more than 8,000 votes without spending a dime. Inouye got 150,000-ish, and he received $3,000,000. Evans beat out Eddie Yoon, a former prosecutor. If Evans really put the effort into campaigning and got some people behind him, he could very well be the front-runner for Governor of Hawaii as a Democrat against Lingle. Will he win? Who knows, but combined with Yoon, 10,000 people voted against brand new candidates and I think that's just terrific.

As a singer goes, yes, he's in the adults standards music profession. He is actually in the National Enquirer this week, on page 49. What's really neat?:

Anyone who buys the CD receives a free autographed photo of him singing the national anthem at Fenway Park in Boston for a Red Sox game, and the photo is also signed by Roger Clemens of the Houston Astros.

Perhaps the next time he runs he can hit up Clemens for some cash to run for office with. Use those favors properly, kiddo. He certainly succeeding in getting his name out here, but I don't believe he realistically believed he'd win, but look at how many people now know his name because he ran against Inouye (or dared to run). Now everyone knows him. I think he and Yoon should both be commended for stepping up to the plate when clearly no one else would, and if Evans can bad more than EIGHT THOUSAND VOTES (that's a lot of votes, we can all agree, for a guy that didn't take out a single ad), then he can step up to the plate again...and maybe next time hit a home run.

He has a very nice statement on his website, www.brianforsenator.com

Contest Party* Candidate Votes Percent
                U.S. Senator NPP BREWER, Jim 1,004 72.91%
                NPP BROWN, J. Turner 373 27.09%
                NPP BLANK VOTES 187 N/A
                NPP OVER VOTES 2 N/A

U.S. Senator REP CAVASSO, Cam 21,642 49.25%
                REP PAYNE, Rich 9,626 21.91%
                REP FRIEDHEIM, Jay 7,025 15.99%
                REP DeLUZE, James R. 5,648 12.85%
                REP BLANK VOTES 16,250 N/A
                REP OVER VOTES 30 N/A

U.S. Senator LIB MALLAN, Jeff 752 100.00%
                LIB BLANK VOTES 105 N/A
                LIB OVER VOTES 0 N/A

U.S. Senator DEM INOUYE, Daniel K. 157,341 93.75%
                DEM EVANS, Brian 8,050 4.80%
                DEM YOON, Eddie

Comment

I was actually a little surprised that Inouye was running again this year (what's he trying to do? Beat Strom Thurmond's record for the oldest serving Senator in the history of the US Senate????? ). I thought it was pretty funny that all his campaign signs just said "Dan" on them. His name recognition is such that even on Moloka'i, he had yard signs posted all over the place.

There is, however, a little thing called, "knowing when to quit" or "quitting while you're still on top". For his sake and the sake of you citizens of Hawaii, I really hope this is his last term in office if he gets elected. You guys deserve new blood and I don't see that the Democratic party in Hawaii is doing anything to groom a successor to Dan. Maybe Brian Evans can be that heir, but it seems to me in a lot of ways that the Hawaii Democratic Party is in a state of denial about how much longer Dan the Man can continue to do good things for the 'aina. For instance, I don't like the fact that he's trying to tack the Hawaiian sovereignty bill into some Senate appropriations bill. That's sneaky and underhanded. If the Akaka Bill can't stand on its own merits, why should it pass at all???? Just because tacking unrelated things onto spending bills is a tactic used all the time, that doesn't mean that something as important as the Akaka Bill should be treated in the way that it is in Congress right now.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by KiheiDays
                    If Evans really put the effort into campaigning and got some people behind him, he could very well be the front-runner for Governor of Hawaii as a Democrat against Lingle.
                    I give you credit for your optimism, at least! And devotion. Your first day here, and six posts, all about Brian? I hope he knows he's got a true believer.

As you may have noticed, we were fortunate to have Lillian Hong and Terrence Teruya, candidates for Honolulu, share their perspectives firsthand right here on the site. If Brian wants to make a case as the voice of the people, here's hoping he drops in here as well.

He is actually in the National Enquirer this week, on page 49.
                    Yes, you'd mentioned this a few times... I wouldn't consider a citation in the National Enquirer to be something a politician should neccessarily brag about. Brian did get some respectable mentions in more mainstream outlets, and of that, he should certainly be proud.

Anyone who buys the CD receives a free autographed photo of him singing the national anthem at Fenway Park in Boston for a Red Sox game, and the photo is also signed by Roger Clemens of the Houston Astros.
                    Um, are we talking about politics and public service, or marketing?

What I want to know is, what's Brian going to do about his promised party switch to the Republican side. (After those mean Democrats wouldn't return his phone calls.) Cam Cavasso took a respectable 17,683 votes on the Republican ticket, and I don't think there's any such thing as a running mate in this race!

Comment

You know what, though? Brian Evans as entertainer/politician is not a new concept. Look at Ronnie Reagan, Sonny Bono and Arnie Schwartzenneger (to mention a few). Would having a rock singer as an elected official be any better/worse than those precedents?

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Oh, absolutely. I mentioned those guys and a few more (including local examples) in this thread a few posts back. There's no telling who people will elect. I joked today I'd probably cast a vote for the "adult entertainer" running as a Libertarian in the race for U.S. Representative, District 1.

Jasmine Trias? Maybe she'd have a shot, for mere visibility and name recognition.

But if "entertainer turned politician" is the well-worn road Brian's looking to follow, he needs to work on both the "entertainer" and "public servant" sides of his resume. He's talented, I have no doubt, but he's no Ronald Reagan. Or Arnold, for that matter.

I wonder if Brian ever considered running for office in Vegas? He's apparently got a fair share of ties over there, too.

Comment

I am curious...would Brian have a shot at the Democratic spot for Governor?

Is there anyone, as a Democrat, more high profile than Evans is now that he's come in 2nd on the ballot?

Granted, it was a diiiiiiiiiistant second, but it's still second.

Thoughts?

Comment

My guess is that Linda Lingle has her eyes on something bigger: like Congress (maybe if Dan the Man retires after this coming term, she will challenge whoever is running on the Dem side for his seat). In Maui County, where she was Mayor for 2 terms (I think), she portrayed herself as being "for the people". But she was not born in Hawaii, so even though she's lived in the 'aina for awhile, she still doesn't get all the nuances of living in Hawaii.

Miulang

Comment

Looks like Evans has already made his decision, folks.

Go to www.brianforsenator.com (although that's likely just a "in progress" url while he obtains one more suitable).
                              Last edited by KiheiDays; September 21, 2004, 02:53 AM.

Comment

I guess we should expect to see BrianForGovernor.com soon, then? Well, stranger things have happened. Hell, there's time enough to prepare for 2006, and one thing I'll agree with, there's definitely a vacuum in the Democratic Party at the statewide level right now.

Of course, if Hanneman loses the mayor's race this year, he'll probably run for governor... what hasn't he run for?

By the way, Brian, it's "heroes," not "hero's." Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X