Homeless Dumping? Or Urban Myth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homeless Dumping? Or Urban Myth?

I'll start this thread off by saying I have no intention of offending anyone, homeless or mentally ill, but here's something I've been wondering about for awhile. I remember hearing rumors of homeless people on the mainland being supplied one-way tickets to Hawaii. And from what I'm seeing now I'm wondering how true this may be. I'm by no means a racist, or one who easily stereotypes folks, but man, a lot of the guys who are panhandling at intersections sure don't look like they are from here. I always thought panhandling on the streets was something I only saw when visiting the mainland. And anyone notice the same guys alternating between Vineyard, Kahala, and Pearl Ridge? I also drive through Iwilei frequently, and I swear there's a lot of "non-local" looking homeless who don't look like they were born and raised here.

Just today, I was approached by two disheveled (ok, and smelly too) Hispanic men asking for some change near old Stadium Park. "Senor, have you got any change?" Once again, I'm not one to stereotype, but these guys REALLY seemed out of place. How or why did they get here? On another occasion, the last time I traveled to Honolulu from San Francisco, I happened to notice a homeless guy in the waiting area. Believe me, this guy looked like he lived at the airport. A little while later, I see him board the plane, and after we land at HNL, he walked off with nothing in his possession.

Or maybe I'm just wrong and unfairly pigeon-holing these folks and being a paranoid local. Thoughts?

BTW, my favorite guy with a sign sits across the Liliha McDonald's with a sign the reads, "Will play baseball for food."

Re: Homeless Dumping? Or Urban Myth?

I had the impression that this is an out of date rumor. You are not imply that this is still happening post 9/11?

Comment

You shoulda asked the guy.
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Auntie Lynn addressed this subject recently. Don't know whether it was in HT or her blog. Anyway, iirc, it's not an urban myth. Many mainland homeless people have been given one way tickets to Hawaii when numbers drop at the IHS. They need to keep the count up to keep their funding. Hopefully Lynn will pop in here and direct you to her post. And, hopefully, I didn't butcher the explanation too much.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          Auntie Lynn addressed this subject recently. Don't know whether it was in HT or her blog. Anyway, iirc, it's not an urban myth. Many mainland homeless people have been given one way tickets to Hawaii when numbers drop at the IHS. They need to keep the count up to keep their funding. Hopefully Lynn will pop in here and direct you to her post. And, hopefully, I didn't butcher the explanation too much.
          IME, many of our homeless have been given one-way tickets by their FAMILIES on the mainland.

Mentally ill,substance abusers, burdens on their families...we see it all the time. It is up to us to try and establish contact with next of kin. Most times, several family members show up, declare that they "want everything done" and then take off again.

Comment

Wow. So my next question is what kind of solution is there? How does this affect our already-growing homeless population? Obviously, this is the U.S.A. and people are free to move about as they wish. We can't just send them away and make them a burden to someone else. But how much of a burden does this put on resources? Does this burden us as taxpayers? Hard times.....
            Last edited by tvguy; April 4, 2007, 12:28 AM.

Comment

This is one of the reasons why I think that Hawaiʻi's independence from the USA isn't a crazy idea. If we were a sovereign nation, we could restrict immigration from everywhere else. As long as Hawaiʻi remains a part of the USA, we will have no power to stop U.S. citizens from moving here, because the commerce clause of the U.S. Constitution guarantees them that right.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                This is one of the reasons why I think that Hawaiʻi's independence from the USA isn't a crazy idea. If we were a sovereign nation, we could restrict immigration from everywhere else. As long as Hawaiʻi remains a part of the USA, we will have no power to stop U.S. citizens from moving here, because the commerce clause of the U.S. Constitution guarantees them that right.
                Sure. And maybe we could declare that every day would be the first day of Spring. Every heart would have a new song to sing. And we'd sing of the joy every new day would bring.

:::All together now:::

Dream on.

Comment

Everybody hold hands, and we'll sing Hawaiʻi Aloha.

Comment

We live in a world of limited resources. So govt. can't adequately provide basic food, shelter, clothing, medical, and education to everyone who wants it without sacraficing some to those who need it the most. Govt. must do a better job of determining who should be focused on and honestly who get's excluded. I think we should focus on homeless children first and the parents of those children second. All other homeless are excluded until all homeless children are adequately provided for. This is one way to minimize outside homeless from taking away resources from those from here.

Comment

In Post #337 of How so we help the Homeless Thread?

It is not an Urban Myth!!!!

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                      As for IHS...I've heard stories as well from a man and woman who lived there. I wrote about it in my Blog somewhere. If what they told me is true...it is horrors. The jest of it. IHS puts out a an advertisement on the mainland. They purchase one way tickets for transients and pick them up at the airport. Transport them directly to IHS. This is done to make sure the capacity of people is kept at a certain level so they can keep receiving Federal Funds.

Too hard to believe? I thought so too. But not when I serve the Hunger and the Homeless at KauKau Wagon on Saturdays. I ask "Where do you come from?" I've been asking...it's always the same. Most of them come from the Mainland.

Yes. We have our little elderly oriental ladies and local people who come. We are there not to judge nor talk about religion. We are there to feed. However, I can not help but wonder where do these people come from. Surely they have families who love them.

For everyone has a story to tell.

Auntie Lynn
                      As for the ones asking foa money. It was mentioned here before too. The three men who frequent Vineyard/Liliha and School Streets are ALL Cocaine Addicts!!! Do not give them one cent. They make $$$ then go Chinatown and purchase their Crack Cocaine to Smoke and Laugh at the people who fall for their puppie sad faces and moomoo legs as they limp and walk. But did you know when they are pau collecting $$$ ~ they run to Chinatown to get their first HIT of the day!

When they see Leimomi coming ~ they head the other way. One of these days...I plan to hold a sign too. As I stand in the sun right along side of them, tell motorists NOT to give $$$ to these DRUG ADDICTS!!!
                      Last edited by 1stwahine; April 4, 2007, 06:23 AM.
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy View Post
                        Wow. So my next question is what kind of solution is there? How does this affect our already-growing homeless population? Obviously, this is the U.S.A. and people are free to move about as they wish. We can't just send them away and make them a burden to someone else. But how much of a burden does this put on resources? Does this burden us as taxpayers? Hard times.....
                        Get Dateline to run a story on it. Media exposure usually works well on problems like these.

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy View Post
                          I'll start this thread off by saying I have no intention of offending anyone, homeless or mentally ill, but here's something I've been wondering about for awhile. I remember hearing rumors of homeless people on the mainland being supplied one-way tickets to Hawaii. And from what I'm seeing now I'm wondering how true this may be.
                          Wow, I had no clue this was happening. As if Hawai`i's homeless problem isn't bad enough.
                          I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                            Get Dateline to run a story on it. Media exposure usually works well on problems like these.
                            The Harry & Jeanette Weinberg Foundation, Inc. is a Mighty and POWERFUL Company. Anyone who dares to investigate is bound to fall to ruins. There are those who know the Truth but are too afraid to speak out.

This is no manini stuff. This is billions! They don't care. They DONATE plenty to our communities but in return they receive much more from Federal grants. It's business. Money makes money. Simple.

Media exposure? It's not gonna do nuttin.

Power, Money and Greed ~ ring a bell?

It should.

Auntie Lynn

Oh! Btw: Why do I write about it? Cause I'm Pua and PuPule! HAHAHAHAHAHA
                            Last edited by 1stwahine; April 4, 2007, 08:17 AM.
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

You're probably right but also remember, Dateline is NBC and NBC is also a very powerful media. You pit a titan against a titan.

Dateline's done a myriad of topics, from catching internet predators to tracking down international phishing scams. Somehow, I don't think they will be afraid of HJW Foundation if they are interested in investigating this issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X