Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Offensive Letter To The Editor About Puna

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
    How can it be a fact when I backed up my argument with with that website I cited. Joshuatree's explanation doesn't work for me, as its more than roads and water.But overall services, like police and fire protection that the property taxes are funding.
    How can my explanation not work for you in regards to services? It's the same thing. Say your budget allows for you to have 2 fire engines and your town is wjust a square mile. Not let's say same budget so same 2 fire engines in a town that's 10 square miles. Can't you see the level of service will drop as it takes more time for the same 2 fire engines to respond to every call?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
      How can my explanation not work for you in regards to services? It's the same thing. Say your budget allows for you to have 2 fire engines and your town is wjust a square mile. Not let's say same budget so same 2 fire engines in a town that's 10 square miles. Can't you see the level of service will drop as it takes more time for the same 2 fire engines to respond to every call?
      I still don't buy it, take a look at the data here http://www.bonniegoodell.com/losrisk.htm . I was slammed for not providing data to back up my claims. Then when I did, I get criticized for the data being too old. What will it take to show creditable evidence.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

How can it be a fact when I backed up my argument with with that website I cited.
        Because as I already said, your website’s data was compiled well BEFORE Harry Kim took office. Why on earth would Kim spin statistics that his administration is not responsible for (1995-99)? Hawai‘i’s economy was in a recession at the time your stats. Don’t you think that had something to do with it? Teeny bit?

Politicians always shine a light on THEIR OWN accomplishments whenever possible. If you’re going to rebuke Harry Kim in West Hawai‘i Today, then your focus needs to be on stats that pertain to his administration.

So if the improvements to $2 spent for every $1 of tax money for Puna was made after your “Bonnie Goodell” stats came out (in other words, during 2000-present), and Kim still balanced the budget, he can and should be jumping for joy at his accomplishment.

That is the point. Get it?

This discussion is firing me up to compile updated data, so non believers like you TuNL will see the light. But why should I, on the other hand, nothing has changed as far as the disparity over the past 7 years.But I can't expect you to see that, when you are living on Oahu.
        Hey, if you prove me wrong, you would have a powerful argument for change, Konaguy. If...

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
          That is the point. Get it?
          I'll make this simple for you, how can you profess knowing jack about about the Big Island when you live on Oahu ? I've lived in Kona 31 years, my entire life. I know the score when living here that long. That also gives me the unique insight to say Mayor Kim's statistics are full of it.
          The Kona Blog

Comment

I'll make this simple for you, how can you profess knowing jack about about the Big Island when you live on Oahu ? I've lived in Kona 31 years, my entire life. I know the score when living here that long. That also gives me the unique insight to say Mayor Kim's statistics are full of it.
            Just because you live there doesn't mean all of your impressions and opinions are founded in fact. Disqualifying the observations of non-residents for no other reason than their non-residency is an easy way out of having to substantiate your claims with data. Lazy and opinionated is a lovely combination. Funny, you always find time to be interviewed but have no time for research and documentation.
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
              Just because you live there doesn't mean all of your impressions and opinions are founded in fact. Disqualifying the observations of non-residents for no other reason than their non-residency is an easy way out of having to substantiate your claims with data. Lazy and opinionated is a lovely combination. Funny, you always find time to be interviewed but have no time for research and documentation.
              You don't know me, so where do you get off calling me lazy ? You don't know I work a full time job, 40 hours a week , 9pm-6am.I read the paper everyday and surf the Internet, writing letters to the editor and to politicians. In short I consider myself up to speed with most issues.

On top that, there is more pressing issues in my life than research and documenting my opinions. If you want to do it, go ahead.You obviously have a deep hatred for me for whatever reason. All I ask is don't ever visit the Big Island. We don't need more jerks like you visiting here.

(Try that one on for size, you took it personal, two people can play that game).
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Funny, you always find time to be interviewed but have no time for research and documentation.
                I don't seek the reporters out. They approach and interview me. Should I deny talking to reporters just to make you happy
                The Kona Blog

Comment

All I ask is don't ever visit the Big Island. We don't need more jerks like you visiting here.
                  About 20 years late with that request.
                  “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."

Comment

I don't seek the reporters out. They approach and interview me. Should I deny talking to reporters just to make you happy
                    You might consider getting your facts straight.

Comment

how can you profess knowing jack about about the Big Island when you live on Oahu?
                      I have said nothing that isn’t common knowledge or in the public domain. Living somewhere doesn’t make you an expert on a place. It does though, in some cases, make you a bum, a felon, an aristocrat, or an illegal alien (depending on the place).

I've lived in Kona 31 years, my entire life.
                      ...which may explain why you “don’t know jack” about Puna.

That also gives me the unique insight to say Mayor Kim's statistics are full of it.
                      No, it doesn’t. There are thousands of people just like you. You’re apparently one of those who doesn’t understand statistics, even after two people have tried to explain it to you, unless a slick advertising firm shoves a bar graph in your face.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

I give up,this thread has degraded into a bash Aaron circus. There is nothing you'll tell me that will change my mind, nor anything I say will change your minds. All I do know is it is funny that all you think you know everything about the Big Island, but none of you live here.
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

You might consider getting your facts straight.
                          How in the heck am I supposed to interpret what you said. I call it like I see it.
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post

...which may explain why you “don’t know jack” about Puna.

No, it doesn’t. There are thousands of people just like you. You’re apparently one of those who doesn’t understand statistics, even after two people have tried to explain it to you, unless a slick advertising firm shoves a bar graph in your face.
                            I've been all around this island. I probably know more than you about Puna also.How in the heck do you know anything about Puna anyway, since you are on Oahu.

The explanation does not make any sense to me. I cited my supporting evidence . None of you want to believe it since its too old. But I strongly
                            believe the services/infrastructure disparity does exist.
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

None of you want to believe it since its too old. But I strongly believe the services/infrastructure disparity does exist.
                              Actually Aaron I thought your initial premise concerning the shifting of tax revenue from Kona to upgrade Hilo's infrastructure likely true, at least once upon a time. It's just you provide no concrete data supporting this "shafting". I could find none myself. For me it's important to justify my opinions by investigation of the matter. I've been misinformed before.

The case of Puna receiving disproportionate funding lately is explainable given firstly its size and secondly the fact that infrasructure is being built and substantially upgraded really for the first time. Obviously being driven by recent development.

It's never been about bashing you. It's all about getting at the truth of a situation.

"It's not what we don't know that hurts, it's what we know that ain't so."
                              - Will Rogers

Comment

It's never been about bashing you. It's all about getting at the truth of a situation.
                                Whatever I'm over it. To me I don't need to have statistics tell me what I already know honestly. As for bashing me, the recent previous posts in
                                this thread speak for themselves.
                                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X