Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii's "Brain Drain"?

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
    In life you're your own boss and you are the only one that can tell you what you gotta do to be successful. I'm so glad I cut that corporate choke hold on my life with bosses young enough to be my kids telling me what to do! I'm in control of my life again and it feels good! Success is what you make of it, and I feel I'm successful now, life's good, what more can I say
    You're right, Craig. You have choices (you are, after all, the CEO of your own destiny) and the choices you made for yourself and your family seem to be working well for you. I feel I am successful up here, but when I retire and am probably able to move back to the 'aina, all I want is a roof over my head and enough kala to keep us and da popokis fed and some bills paid. I am getting to the stage in my life when working hard just to support a lifestyle ain't worth it anymore. Lots of Boomers are feeling the same way, that's why there's this "simple life" movement among the 40-50 year olds now. I'm convinced that big cities are for young people who need the stimulation to keep from getting bored. Me? I think sitting quietly at home with one of da popokis (either Shimai or Hoku) curled at my feet as I read a good book would be good enough for me.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

There was a time in my 20's when I felt success was determined by my career position, the clothes I wore and the car I drove. By that observation I was living the level of success I thought I was. I was just fooling myself.

In my 30's I soon discovered that success was like a carrot placed in front of me and my bosses were always keeping just out of my reach and laughing.

When I turned 40 I said to myself that I have to restructure my life because retirement is right around the corner.

At 44 I held my breath and took the plunge and boy the water feels good! No regrets!
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Good for you Craig! Young people like you...you have one good brain in between your ears! And you're happy and doing what you want. Not many your age can say that they are truly happy!
        Retired Senior Member

Comment

I just wish I had done this earlier. Why did I wait so long, I don't know. But better late than never and I'm trying to convince others that life can be good to them too.

I guess a lot of us are afraid of what's out there. For 22 years I wanted to quit my job, for 22 years I always shrugged behind that paycheck. For 22 years I worked for my family. After 22-years I realized I was spinning my wheels going nowhere, I peaked out at what little I could aspire in where I was working and looking down the road it would have been another 20 years of the same.

When you hit 40, something inside starts churning, telling you, "this is it man, you can quit and start another career and end with full retirement benefits from two companies by age 65" But then again did I want to go through another 20-years of listening to another boss?

Now I have an opportunity to take over managing a farm here in the Puna district for a year. I can make as much as I want or as little as I want. This farm produces those little Ti and Antherium logs you see in those plastic bags sold in tourist shops everywhere. The business has worldwide distribution thru mail order and if I take over, online. There's no guarantee of success but then I don't need it because I don't need the money and farming is something I've always wanted to do as I love gardening.

Opportunities like this wouldn't have come around if I were still on Oahu earning a paycheck because I had to. Leaving my careers in Honolulu was the best thing that ever happened to me (other than marrying my wife).
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I envy you Craig. When we lived on the big island, we had the time of our life. Our mistake was moving back to O'ahu and "picking up" where we left off. Now we are longing for our big island days once again. The cost of living may be a smidgeon higher, but we always had what we needed and a better quality of life at that! You inspire us to perservere and I thank you for that.
            He leo wale no...

Comment

Working...
            X