X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 7

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
    Hey, I'm not saying that's right; but isn't that what you get too from their comments? I think there's been this underlying level of distrust (and your comment about him probably working with Lingle cinches it) all along, so yeah, maybe you gotta kiss a few okoles if you really want something. The Gov. is outnumbered. She isn't going to get her way with this unless she and/or HSF management at least make some attempt at conciliation.
    From my perspective as a voter, Hanbusa and English should be paying attention to what the majority of the people want. I'm paying attention to what they and the other legislators are doing (or not doing) in this matter. It will be a major factor in who gets my votes next go around.

Here's an idea. Call your representative or senator and find out their position on the HSF, then post their support or opposition here.
    Results for my local legislators are: No one answering the phone anywhere except Rep. Mark Takai's office and the nice lady who answered the phone described him as a "strong supporter" of the SuperFerry.
    Last edited by glossyp; October 12, 2007, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
      This almost sounds like feudal dark ages, so Garibaldi or O'Halloran needs to pay homage to Hanabusa and English? Having the PR staff (PR meaning public relations meaning that's their job function) isn't good enough? Dang, let's also make Garibaldi and O'Halloran kowtow too while we're at it in order to do business. Yes...let's keeping making that black eye even blacker. I figure Garibaldi is already probably working closely with Lingle who is basically the highest official in our state but guess not good enough to Hanabusa.
      Lingle is a lame duck on this issue, she CANNOT get anything done without the support of the Legislature. She can convene a Special Session but she can't force the Legislature to save the Superferry. Garibaldi and O'Halloran need to speak to both the House and Senate leadership because they have the power to save the Superferry, not the governor.

Comment

This whole thing is Garibaldi and Lingle working in cahoots. When the whole Kauai protesting thing delayed the Superferry's initial landing, it was Lingle who went to Kauai and got the earfull.

I think that the Superferry's CEO has to be even more visible, and reach out to the communities he's trying to serve versus just being on the tv for an interview about "how he feels" about something. It makes it look like Lingle is his tool...say like when he gave $500 to the Republican Party...this is from a query at opensecrets.org that lists campaign contributions, who they go to and how much:

http://opensecrets.org/indivs/search...2004=Y&Order=N

that query was just from 2004's election, but it's interesting to see who he's given money to throughout the years:

http://opensecrets.org/indivs/search...tAll=Y&Order=N

he backs a lot of candidates with no chance to win lol, but it looks like he's covering his political bets.

Comment

This almost sounds like feudal dark ages, so Garibaldi or O'Halloran needs to pay homage to Hanabusa and English? Having the PR staff (PR meaning public relations meaning that's their job function) isn't good enough?
          Considering how bad the Superferry looks right now, I would say the HSF’s PR staff is hardly up to the task. Most of the HT’rs on this board are intelligent enough to realize it was the Lingle Administration who was wrong to exempt HSF from an EA, and Attorney General Mark Bennett owes the legislature an explanation since his interpretation of the statute proved incorrect. But even the recent SMS research poll shows the majority of residents feel the Superferry should have done an EA. The law is the law, except when you call a Special Session to change it. So really, with all the criticism, making his case at the legislature is the least a “top representative” of HSF can do.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            The law is the law, except when you call a Special Session to change it.
            If the law is the law, why were the crosses at Camp Smith and Kolekole forced down but the Japanese Torii Gates in Moilili still standing.

And why does YB not have to do an EA or EIS?

The law is the law.

Stop the barges. And Mr. TuNnl, as Reagan said, "tear down this Torii".

Comment

Food for thought in regards to Superferry. When Go Airlines is forced out of Hawaii, I'm willing to bet a lot of people are going to regret fighting the HSF. Especially when HA/AQ jack airfares up to 200.00 round trip again.
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

I’ve lived here in Kona my entire life, born and raised.I do find a lot of aspects of Hawaii that are backwards and archaic. The latter is a huge reason why we cannot advance out the stone ages here and diversify our economy. Currently our economic base is unsustainable. If you think selling our land, catering to tourists or have the military do training here is sustainable…I got some good land in Iraq to sell you.

The Superferry would a give huge boost in diversifying our economic base here. Farmers on the neighbor islands would have a larger base to sell their goods for example. Overall I believe the benefits of the HSF outweigh the risks.

Time and again, some group of people comes out the woodwork to stall every project here. I’ve seen it happen over and over again. I know the term tree hugger is derogatory term. But again I’m extremely frustrated that every time Hawaii takes a step forward, something happens that causes Hawaii to take two steps back.

As it stands now, someone would have to be on crack to invest money here.
                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                  I’ve lived here in Kona my entire life, born and raised.I do find a lot of aspects of Hawaii that are backwards and archaic. The latter is a huge reason why we cannot advance out the stone ages here ...
                  It sounds like you don’t like Hawai‘i very much, Aaron. You should try living on the mainland for awhile. You might be a happier person.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

The "POLITICS OF NO" runs amok on the neighbor islands and the Big Island is no exception. Not that any or all of the following were "good ideas," but I have seen them since the mid-1960s:

1) Japan Airlines desire to use the General Lyman Field (Hilo Airport) to train their pilots;
                    2) several attempts to develop Sea Mountain/Punalu'u in Ka'u;
                    3) spaceport in Ka'u;
                    4) proposed new state prison;
                    5) geothermal.

Some of the protesters would travel from across the island to areas they were not really involved with.

Comment

So really, with all the criticism, making his case at the legislature is the least a “top representative” of HSF can do.
                      Perhaps but it makes no sense at this point. The legislature clearly said they will not come up with the proposed solution, it will be the executive branch's burden to do this. So what exactly of a case does Garibaldi get to make? If a proposed solution from Lingle's administration actually makes its way into the legislature, then I can see a reason for Garibaldi to make a case. And we don't really know what Lingle might be saying to Garibaldi either at this point. Maybe she wants to work it out with the legislature first? The article may be poorly written but it just sounds feudal.

It sounds like you don’t like Hawai‘i very much, Aaron. You should try living on the mainland for awhile. You might be a happier person.
                      Ahh....that's the typical response, don't like it? Leave......thus the brain drain of Hawaii continues.

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                      The "POLITICS OF NO" runs amok on the neighbor islands and the Big Island is no exception. Not that any or all of the following were "good ideas," but I have seen them since the mid-1960s:

1) Japan Airlines desire to use the General Lyman Field (Hilo Airport) to train their pilots;
                      2) several attempts to develop Sea Mountain/Punalu'u in Ka'u;
                      3) spaceport in Ka'u;
                      4) proposed new state prison;
                      5) geothermal.

Some of the protesters would travel from across the island to areas they were not really involved with.
                      Spaceport really would have been a great idea and it really would have worked. Geothermal would too as demonstrated by Iceland.

Comment

It's amusing, in a sad way, to see all the mainlanders (and even a couple of misguided locals) dominating this thread with the usual misinformation, ifs, maybes and other guesses and baseless predictions. There have been many dozens of patently false claims, charges and outright lies in the new thread here. That's why most of the people who actually know what's going on have just given up and are letting the fools and trolls just rant on. I for one just don't have time to waste on it anymore. (Heck, Thursday was a 19-hour day of work for me.)
                        I really regret working to get Ryan to allow the new thread.
                        There's one extremely simple thing that none of you have even thought of nor (obviously) mentioned yet: Even if -- if -- the legislature convenes a special session, we already know for a fact that they would pile on a heavy set of restrictions, possibly including banning the transport of any vehicles but at the very least limiting the number of daily trips and the speeds and the routes. Those are known (published) FACTS. Those restrictions would make operating the SuperFerry a money-losing proposition, and of course that is nothing less than simply and completely unacceptable.
                        (Plus, the legislative draft created by the Attorney General calls for a full EIS, not just an EA. Ergo, the restrictions noted above would last for at least two years, not just six to eight months.)
                        Any legislative solution which in any way would cause HSF to lose money is 100% unacceptable.
                        It boils down to two options. Option #1 is that the SuperFerry is allowed to operate as planned, and without any restrictions whatsoever, during the course of either an EA or an EIS, or option #2 -- the SuperFerry will leave.
                        Option #1 is a fantasy, so the only question remaining in my mind is if the SuperFerry will make a show of leaving Hawaii or whether we'll all simply wake up one morning and find that the SuperFerry quietly and permanently left Hawaii in the middle of the night.
                        Lawsuits (plural) against Hawaii to follow.
                        Other potential new income streams for Hawaii will NOT follow.
                        End of story.
                        Last edited by LikaNui; October 13, 2007, 08:35 AM. Reason: Typos suck.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Perhaps but it makes no sense at this point. The legislature clearly said they will not come up with the proposed solution, it will be the executive branch's burden to do this. So what exactly of a case does Garibaldi get to make? If a proposed solution from Lingle's administration actually makes its way into the legislature, then I can see a reason for Garibaldi to make a case. And we don't really know what Lingle might be saying to Garibaldi either at this point. Maybe she wants to work it out with the legislature first? The article may be poorly written but it just sounds feudal.
                          Well, the Star Bulletin this morning indicates that indeed, the HSF Board of Directors "big guns" (possibly Lehman and Krekel) will be winging their way to Honolulu this coming week to talk turkey with the Legislature. I hope for the sake of the people of Hawai'i, that they don't come in with their arms folded across their chests and an "if you don't like it, too bad" attitude if the Legislative leadership says that HSF has to meet some conditions before they will be allowed to operate while an EIS (yes, now they're talking full EIS, not just EA) is conducted over 2 years. And the Gov. may have opened a can of worms by insisting on this Special Session because now there are calls for an investigation of all the events leading up to the fiasco (can you say "Ferrygate"? ) Yes, payback's a bitch.

Miulang
                          Last edited by Miulang; October 13, 2007, 08:45 AM.
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I concur, there really is not a whole lot of options with restrictions. Speed is key to this service since it's not a short distance between the islands. One possible compromise is to change the ferry's route further out so it may add more distance but they could still run at the speed it needs. But this adds cost to fuel so overall, I'm expecting the ferry to pack up.

More thoughts, these are about the only realistic compromises that would enable the HSF to be a profitable operation and still address potential environmental concerns while an EIS is conducted.

1) Mandatory car washes and stepped up inspections at the port.
                            2) Monitor traffic but let it be for now, no restrictions on number of pax or cars. If there is significant impact at a port, then adjust accordingly.
                            3) Let the boat run full speed, but change destination. Forget Maui for now, switch service to Hawaii and retain Kauai. I haven't researched in depth but I don't believe they have whale migration areas right? And since we have an extra barge lying at Maui, tow that over to Hawaii so maybe it can serve two ports, Hilo or Kona?

Other than that, forget it.
                            Last edited by joshuatree; October 13, 2007, 09:36 AM. Reason: Added more thoughts

Comment

I found the text of the first draft of the bill Gov. Lingle wants the Legislature to approve on Larry Geller's Disappeared News blog. Interesting, and it's understandable why Sen. Hanabusa and others said the language was "unacceptable".

com·pro·mise (kmpr-mz)
                              n.
                              a. A settlement of differences in which each side makes concessions.
                              b. The result of such a settlement.
                              2. Something that combines qualities or elements of different things: The incongruous design is a compromise between high tech and early American.
                              3. A concession to something detrimental or pejorative: a compromise of morality.
                              v. com·pro·mised, com·pro·mis·ing, com·pro·mis·es
                              v.tr.
                              1. To settle by concessions.
                              2. To expose or make liable to danger, suspicion, or disrepute: an embassy that was compromised by hidden listening devices.
                              3. Obsolete To pledge mutually.
                              v.intr.
                              To make a compromise.
                              Miulang
                              Last edited by Miulang; October 13, 2007, 09:40 AM.
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Forget Maui for now, switch service to Hawaii and retain Kauai.
                                Good thinking as usual, JT, except that HSF has repeatedly said that Maui is crucial to their business plan, being a far more desirable destination than Kaui and the Big Island combined. They've said that without Maui, it's a guaranteed money-losing proposition and they will be forced to leave.
                                The potential legislative action also includes reducing the number of trips, clearly a further and unacceptable loss of income.
                                And as for Miulang's comment about the HSF Board of Directors flying in for discussions (which most of us who live here already knew about), it's totally wrong to think that they're flying in just to meet with the House and Senate, et al.
                                Guaranteed that they're primarily here to meet with Garibaldi to discuss offers they've received from other states and other countries, and to finalize their exit strategy and logistics with him. That's a fact, not speculation.
                                It's also a fact that certain SuperFerry executives are, as we speak, in the process of getting rid of some of their personal holdings here, in anticipation of leaving the state shortly.
                                I'm clearly not going to name my sources, but they haven't failed me yet. (Go back to the second page of this thread, where in post #12 I predicted that 270 people would be laid off in the following couple of days. Three days later, 249 people were indeed laid off.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X