X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 7

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
    correct me if i am wrong, and maybe there aren't enough similarities bcs HSF is a service...but haven't there been new businesses that have started with some sort of help from the state, either by subsidy or tax relief, that either have failed or are not so invested in hawaii? for example, tech businesses (what was the name of that cgi movie where ming-na provided the main character's voice?), the film industry? didn't the company that did the movie i described pack up and leave because even tho hawaii is a great location, being between the east and the west, the cost of doing business is overbearing? and while it's great that hollywood likes to film here, it's not like they provide a lot of jobs with permanence, either. my understanding is that the film industry gets a tax break when they come to hawaii--they don't have to pay excise.

if i'm right, then this special session for HSF is small potatoes, in my opinion.
    Sure they could have, but under which category from the HBEDT would they qualify? Stategic Industries, Science and Technolgies?

HBEDT claims that it uses a "logic model" developed by the Kellogg Foundation (a very very large philanthropic organization) to determine its funding priorities. It too, requires as an end product, an assessment.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
      Sure they could have, but under which category from the HBEDT would they qualify? Stategic Industries, Science and Technolgies?

HBEDT claims that it uses a "logic model" developed by the Kellogg Foundation (a very very large philanthropic organization) to determine its funding priorities. It too, requires as an end product, an assessment.

Miulang
      i was nowhere near saying that HSF should have applied for subsidies or tax breaks. i was pointing out that other businesses have gotten subsidies/tax breaks and not all of them have been successful or well-received or have stayed with any permanence in hawaii and that, in contrast, the special session is at low cost/loss to hawaii's taxpayers.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

i was nowhere near saying that HSF should have applied for subsidies or tax breaks. i was pointing out that other businesses have gotten subsidies/tax breaks and not all of them have been successful or well-received or have stayed with any permanence in hawaii and that, in contrast, the special session is at low cost/loss to hawaii's taxpayers.
        Moneywise, maybe, but political capital-wise, maybe notso. How many souls will have to be signed over?

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

[...](what was the name of that cgi movie where ming-na provided the main character's voice?), the film industry? didn't the company that did the movie i described pack up and leave because even tho hawaii is a great location, being between the east and the west, the cost of doing business is overbearing? and while it's great that hollywood likes to film here, it's not like they provide a lot of jobs with permanence, either. my understanding is that the film industry gets a tax break when they come to hawaii--they don't have to pay excise.[...]
          Are you thinking of "Final Fantasy"?

For anyone truly interested in the film industry's tax credits there's a seminar comin' up. Check it out HERE! It involves more than just the GET. The top 3 entries are very interesting.

The film industry, for the most part, is helter skelter no matter where it is. The word "permanence" doesn't exist. Crew, who are independent contractors, again for the most part, go from job to job. In Hawaii, those jobs come from the mainland, Europe, Asia, you name it. Our bread and butter jobs are local.

To bring this back on topic...the HSF would be a godsend for transporting film industry related vehicles and equipment interisland.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            To bring this back on topic...the HSF would be a godsend for transporting film industry related vehicles and equipment interisland.
            Yes it would be.

And it would be for many other business-related uses. Everything from construction to music. A lot of things are simply unfeasable right now with only airlines and some silly barge that takes a week to get anything anywhere.

Here's a good example: My band wants to play some gigs on Maui. As it stands, if we wanted to take all of our equpiment there, we have two options -- an airline, which would charge us retarded fees (amps are very heavy) and we'd have to get road cases for everything... or rent crappy stuff on Maui and pass that on to the venue. Or, we could ship everything via barge which would mean not having our stuff for a week while it waits on a dock somewhere. Begging to get ripped off or wrecked.

Then along comes the ferry...

We could stuff it all in a truck, send it on the ferry with a band member (while the others fly cheaper, yeah it's true) and he meets us on Maui and we all have our own equipment that same day, ready to go.

Oh wait, silly me, I forgot... I have coqui frogs in my amp. And the truck we bring with us has dirt on it. And we killed a whale on the way over. And we added one more car to traffic....

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
              Moneywise, maybe, but political capital-wise, maybe notso. How many souls will have to be signed over?

Miulang
              My heart just bleeds to think of the poor politicians sullying their pure souls to do what a majority of taxpayers and voters want them to do...yeah, that's a sell out.

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
                Yes it would be.

And it would be for many other business-related uses. Everything from construction to music. A lot of things are simply unfeasable right now with only airlines and some silly barge that takes a week to get anything anywhere.

Here's a good example: My band wants to play some gigs on Maui. As it stands, if we wanted to take all of our equpiment there, we have two options -- an airline, which would charge us retarded fees (amps are very heavy) and we'd have to get road cases for everything... or rent crappy stuff on Maui and pass that on to the venue. Or, we could ship everything via barge which would mean not having our stuff for a week while it waits on a dock somewhere. Begging to get ripped off or wrecked.

Then along comes the ferry...

We could stuff it all in a truck, send it on the ferry with a band member (while the others fly cheaper, yeah it's true) and he meets us on Maui and we all have our own equipment that same day, ready to go.

Oh wait, silly me, I forgot... I have coqui frogs in my amp. And the truck we bring with us has dirt on it. And we killed a whale on the way over. And we added one more car to traffic....
                Last month, an off-island band flew over to play in a fund-raising concert. The airlines charged $90 ONE-WAY for the keyboard - that's more than the passenger's ticket!

I can see the day when the cheaper air fares will no longer be around.

Comment

From this article in today's Advertiser, I find this to be exceptionally stupid fascinating bizarre interesting:
                  Any new operating agreement between the state and Hawaii Superferry should contain an "explicit and comprehensive indemnity clause" to shield the state from any liability caused by court actions that prevented the ferry from operating for the past two months, according to the latest draft of legislation to help the Superferry.
                  The threat of possible lawsuits by Superferry executives has been a subtext in the debate over the project's future. The draft, which is being reviewed by the state Attorney General's office, attempts to insulate the state from lawsuits while allowing Superferry to resume service while a full environmental impact statement is conducted.
                  State Rep. Marcus Oshiro, D-39th (Wahiawa), the chairman of the House Finance Committee, said lawmakers are trying to ensure the bill covers "all past, present and future liabilities for the state. That's a very, very important provision of this bill," he said.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    From this article in today's Advertiser, I find this to be exceptionally stupid fascinating bizarre interesting:

Yes, I’m glad the state is being akamai and ensuring taxpayers don’t end up paying for the Attorney General Mark Bennett and the DOT’s serious lapse in judgement. The state auditor’s investigation into the Lingle Administration’s deal can’t come soon enough.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Last weekend on Oahu for a visit, I watched a mongoose circus for the better part of two early mornings in a row. Walking through a public park my attention was drawn to some movement under a parked vehicle. I thought perhaps it was a rat or perhaps a cat but very shortly afterward a pair of mongoose dropped themselves simultaneously from the vehicle's (a State van) undercarriage and ran playfully across the parking lot into some underbrush only to emerge from the brush and run, hugging the ground as they do, back toward the van. Just before the pair reached the van another mongoose dropped down from under a vehicle parked next to the van, and then another mongoose just as the first two reached the van. After that it was really hard to tell just how many mongoose there were going up into and dropping down from the undercarriages, running around having such apparent fun. They were so fast and hugged the ground so well it seemed the ground itself was moving around.

Even if some malicious, intentional introduction of mongoose to Kauai does not occur first, I am convinced the mongoose, among other creatures, will come to Kauai on Lingle's Superferry. But so what? At least Eric 'n Cyn's Kauai friends can freely engage in their alleged right to go with their car on Oahu shopping sprees and Honolulu night club band members can possibly ship all of their gear to Kauai even if no one on Kauai has an interest in their product. And Lingle and her obliging legislators can relax having succeeded in selling out the people of Kauai and Maui to Superferry investors for a few measely thousands of dollars and in-kind campaign contributions. Hawaii State government sucks worse than mere words can express.

Comment

Originally posted by craig foo View Post
                        Last weekend on Oahu for a visit, I watched a mongoose circus for the better part of two early mornings in a row. Walking through a public park my attention was drawn to some movement under a parked vehicle. I thought perhaps it was a rat or perhaps a cat but very shortly afterward a pair of mongoose dropped themselves simultaneously from the vehicle's (a State van) undercarriage and ran playfully across the parking lot into some underbrush only to emerge from the brush and run, hugging the ground as they do, back toward the van. Just before the pair reached the van another mongoose dropped down from under a vehicle parked next to the van, and then another mongoose just as the first two reached the van. After that it was really hard to tell just how many mongoose there were going up into and dropping down from the undercarriages, running around having such apparent fun. They were so fast and hugged the ground so well it seemed the ground itself was moving around.
                        So if an adequate vehicle inspection program was put in place, do you think a mongoose would not be spotted in the undercarriage?

Recent news have shown that 75% of fake bombs planted by a team went through LAX undetected. Do you think all flights to Kauai and Maui should be banned as well because this only reaffirms that the invasive species threat HSF poses is being risked every single day right now as we speak?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                          So if an adequate vehicle inspection program was put in place, do you think a mongoose would not be spotted in the undercarriage?

Recent news have shown that 75% of fake bombs planted by a team went through LAX undetected. Do you think all flights to Kauai and Maui should be banned as well because this only reaffirms that the invasive species threat HSF poses is being risked every single day right now as we speak?
                          This whole business of relentless Americanization of the planet reminds me of decades old science fiction movie I saw long that positively horrified me. It was "the pod people". All things U.S. are now that way, run by corporate pod people. I'm not one of them, and elaborating on what I think with such people only feeds their mission. Maybe another time joshuatree.

That's a couple sentences worth of my time to match yours. I am presently too disgusted by the movie you are promoting to comment more at your request.

Comment

This whole business of relentless Americanization of the planet reminds me of decades old science fiction movie I saw long that positively horrified me. It was "the pod people". All things U.S. are now that way, run by corporate pod people. I'm not one of them, and elaborating on what I think with such people only feeds their mission. Maybe another time joshuatree.

That's a couple sentences worth of my time to match yours. I am presently too disgusted by the movie you are promoting to comment more at your request.
                            What is the point of your post if not for discussion?

Movie?

Comment

would you be willing to share which park this was where you observed this mongoose circus, as you call it?

At least Eric 'n Cyn's Kauai friends can freely engage in their alleged right to go with their car on Oahu shopping sprees...
                              it's not an alleged right. it's a right guaranteed by the US constitution, other laws/statutes, as well as historical precedence and practice. in the former soviet union, however, you would have needed to apply to the government for a passport-like document if you were a muscovite who wanted to visit a summer dacha in the crimea. would you prefer that the US use that kind of intra-state and inter-state system?

... and Honolulu night club band members can possibly ship all of their gear to Kauai even if no one on Kauai has an interest in their product.
                              how do you know that no one in kauai would have an interest? are you psychic and able to know at a whim what is in the hearts and minds of all kauaians regarding any specific band?

most bands--dick's included--would have the common sense to find out first whether they would be welcome in a certain market before they spend the money to set up a performance. i know for a fact that many kauaians and mauians would love it if more bands from honolulu could come to their island and share their music. for that matter, i'm sure that honoluluans would equally benefit if more neighbor island bands could come perform in hawaii night clubs, or the waikiki shell, or the blaisedell arena. neighbor island musicians simply do not have the access to as large an audience as they would on their home islands than if they were to perform on oahu. not everyone who listens to local bands buys locally produced cds and not all local bands have the wherewithal to produce their own cds and get it distributed as widely as they would want.
                              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

would you be willing to share which park this was where you observed this mongoose circus, as you call it?
                                fOO fOO Man said "Da park...da park. You know da park by da place ova dea."

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X