This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 7

If the other islands are so concerned about the amount of cars...can't they as an island county make a moritorium on the amount of cars?

I know when I visited the island of Cozumel, they had one, but what happened is that people were driving junky cars instead of buying a new one every-so-often because of the amount of cars had reached its ceiling. If the other islands are against that, then there really just protesting the ferry even though they would probably do the same thing the superferry does, except it would be for their own cars.
    Last edited by Kittrick; October 19, 2007, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kittrick View Post
      If the other islands are so concerned about the amount of cars...can't they as an island county make a moritorium on the amount of cars on the other islands?

I know when I visited the island of Cozumel, they had one, but what happened is that people were driving junky cars instead of buying a new one every-so-often because of the amount of cars had reached its ceiling. If the other islands are against that, then there really just protesting the ferry even though they would probably do the same thing the superferry does, except it would be for their own cars.
      Good question, another thought along your line is, why hasn't Kauai or Maui imposed a limit on the number of rental cars being brought in via barge? Obviously, if there is too many cars for the island's roadways, why have they not started to impose on rentals? Tourists are outsiders, why the need to cater to their needs as priority #1? In fact, taxis on both islands stand to gain more income.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
        fOO fOO Man said "Da park...da park. You know da park by da place ova dea."

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn
        yeah, da pahk da one get planny mongoose lidat.

no, really--all mockery aside, i wanna know where this park is that he saw all those mongoose. cause i can say with no exaggeration whatsoever that i've seen ten times more squirrels in the five visits totalling maybe 12 weeks running around in portland, oregon's residential areas than i've ever seen mongooses in all parts and parks of oahu, where i've lived all mumble years of my life. and i honestly wouldn't mind seeing a circus of mongooses dropping like running turds from car netherlands.

i'm serious! stop laughing!
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
          i'm serious! stop laughing!
          I sked. I stopped LAUGHING.

NOT!!

Da park is ova dea behind da place undaneath by da whatchamacallit?

Foo Foo, why you lie lil dat?
          Last edited by 1stwahine; October 19, 2007, 01:48 PM.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Superferry to offer free cruises for active-duty military
            The Hawaii Superferry this weekend will offer free "Mahalo" O'ahu coastal cruises for active-duty military personnel and their families, according to a news release issued by Hawaii Superferry officials. The Hawaii Superferry's Alakai will depart from the Honolulu Ferry Terminal at Pier 19. Guests will be offered complimentary food and beverages during the island cruise.
            Love it. Still can't shake the amusing thought that the military will ultimately buy out the Superferry and use it to move Strykers around. Bet you'll wish you let uncle's Datsun over then!

At least the Superferry isn't sitting idle. I saw it leaving its pier in Honolulu Harbor this morning. For a moment I was figuring someone just said "to hell with it already" and set sail for Hong Kong.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
              What is the point of your post if not for discussion?
              I post an observation. It's a post that's all. You want to discuss it, discuss it with someone who feels it is worth discussing it with you or who has the time they want to spend to respond to rhetorical questioning. I'm not your mark.

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
              fOO fOO Man said "Da park...da park. You know da park by da place ova dea." HAHAHAHAHAHA
              It would not matter if I named the park, you'd hemorrage guffaw anyway. It was as nice a public park as I've ever experienced in the islands and the reason had a lot a to do with absence of people and their machines, but, rest assured it was not in Waikiki or along Honolulu shores because other than too many humans, stray cats and rats in those areas there's precious little, maybe especially mongoose, alive but stressed landscaping.

=======

'Group pushes rules on ferry
              Passengers would be subject to scrutiny, environmentalists say
              Proposed conditions include requiring passengers to say if they were using the Superferry to go camping on another island, and then only allowing passengers who have permits to camp in federal state or county parks to be allowed.
              Republican Senate leader Fred Hemmings called the proposal "ludicrous."

"It is absolutely hypocrisy when other forms of transportation are not held to those standards. If people want to camp, they can camp. This is still America," Hemmings said.' http://starbulletin.com/2007/10/19/news/story01.html

Hemmings....a dumber creature never walked the Senate floor, and that includes the roaches. "This is still America"....being led by such stupidity proves that more than ever!

Would that Honolulu be opened up to the population of Los Angeles in the same way the loudest mouths of Honolulu want Maui and Kauai to be opened to Honolulu!

Welcome to Honolulu: NO Camping Permits Necessary : : : Choose the Laws You Wish to Obey
              Last edited by craig foo; October 19, 2007, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by craig foo View Post
                I post an observation. It's a post that's all. You want to discuss it, discuss it with someone who feels it is worth discussing it with you or who has the time they want to spend to respond to rhetorical questioning. I'm not your mark.
                "it's just a post," my eye! it's chickenisht bs to hide behind that statement when you so vehemently take shots at other people's posts when they do not agree with you.

It would not matter if I named the park, you'd hemorrage guffaw anyway. It was as nice a public park as I've ever experienced in the islands and the reason had a lot a to do with absence of people and their machines, but, rest assured it was not in Waikiki or along Honolulu shores because other than too many humans, stray cats and rats in those areas there's precious little, maybe especially mongoose, alive but stressed landscaping.
                more often than not, when some of us are askance at things you claim as fact or observation and provide you with a method of proving veracity, you dance around the answer, avoid answering completely, backpedal, say, "oh, it won't matter if i tell you," or deny that what you said is not what you meant or that we all misunderstood you.
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                  my eye! it's chickenisht bs to hide behind
                  Haven't seen your eye or even know to which one you're referring but sounds like you two have a symbiotic case of cerebral indigestion. At least it doesn't have anything to do with your super Specialferry, so perhaps you could post your symptoms in the thread "Places to Share Fowl Wastes Without Indigestion"

Note: This is posted to you two; what you quoted was not. Comment however fowlly at will to whatevers, but don't wasting your drool waiting for a response. You have earned a pigeonhole, or a chicken hole, and I am no bird keeper.
                  Last edited by craig foo; October 19, 2007, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Sad thing is that people like Craig Foo and others on this board who have opposed the Superferry have goals that probably many on this board and many in this state agree with. Limited growth, protecting open spaces, protecting beaches and beach access, protecting threatened plants and animals.

Funny thing is that the Superferry just seems so low on the list of decisions Hawaii's politicians are making which contribute to the anti-Superferry protestors. If those people could use their energy to really start to fight to limit growth via zoning, taxes and laws, they might actually make some progress.

I probably agree with most of the Superferry protestors about things important in controlling Hawaii growth but I don't see the Superferry as much of a factor. Maybe I'm blind.

Comment

Would that Honolulu be opened up to the population of Los Angeles in the same way the loudest mouths of Honolulu want Maui and Kauai to be opened to Honolulu!

Welcome to Honolulu: NO Camping Permits Necessary : : : Choose the Laws You Wish to Obey
                      Your rhetorical "observations" lead to rhetorical questioning. But you need not worry, if you don't want to answer, no need. People will draw their own conclusions.

Honolulu is open to the population of Los Angeles, so as is Maui, so as is Kauai. And it's just not Los Angeles, but the world. There were ~7.3 million people who visited this state last year. Not one of them had to list what they would be doing, when they be camping. No one has said to abolish camping permits but it is indeed ridiculous that people need to state their itineraries before getting on a boat. Since when did environmentalists = Nazis? Where's the Wehrmacht and the SS?

Haven't seen your eye or even know to which one you're referring but sounds like you two have a symbiotic case of cerebral indigestion. At least it doesn't have anything to do with your super Specialferry, so perhaps you could post your symptoms in the thread "Places to Share Fowl Wastes Without Indigestion"

Note: This is posted to you two; what you quoted was not. Comment however fowlly at will to whatevers, but don't wasting your drool waiting for a response. You have earned a pigeonhole, or a chicken hole, and I am no bird keeper.
                      You're "intellectual" ramblings are your own undoing, it's sad that you don't see that. I wonder what your next PSAT vocabulary lesson will consist of?

Comment

eh, foo, first of all, even tho my HT name says ericncyn, eric posts separately under another name, as many HTers already know. regardless, eric and i are a couple, so of course we are often of similar opinions. to say we're symbiotic is not only a stretch but proof that you don't know the true meaning of the word "symbiotic" (go look it up; you actually mean to use a different word but i'm not going to help you with that one).

i'd say you're jealous (1) that you're the loner in your wacked out, intellectually disjointed opinions and (2) you're bummed that your (lack of) ability to turn a phrase and win others to your side of the fence are so sadly flaccid. just as much as you needed to learn how to quote properly in a discussion board, you should learn how to proofread. i mean, i'm totally plastered right now writing this (having just come home from a lovely night out with friends at a bar featuring 100+ beer taps...yay, varsity!) but this post is much more readable and credible than your last five put together. i've never been so wasted as to imply that i know what my fellow island inhabitants might feel or think about any given subject; you, on the other hand, have, and presumably, you've made that implication whilst drug and alcohol-free (i say presumably, bcs i don't have the habit of assuming, yaddayaddayadda).

and DUH! you're posting on a discussion board, which means that any comments you make are open for reaction from anybody who reads the threads. if you wanted a private conversation, that's what pms are for. but you won't go the pm route bcs, as i've pointed out, you're habitually chickenisht.

as for what i've earned in your opinion...eh,--you're the one who labeled yourself with such an unfortunately self-prophetic name...FOO!

Comment

Oooookay, getting back on topic...

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                          Interesting "stuff" from Ian Lind's blog today and Doug of Poinography's blog and Larry Geller's "Disappeared News" blog.
                          I missed this earlier, but mahalo Miulang for the links. Ian Lind, the ever-sharp political observer, points out a disparity becoming more and more public. (I think LikaNui has alluded to it as well in a form of a question) Did Attorney General Mark Bennett issue an opinion supporting an exemption for the Superferry that was ultimately ruled illegal by the courts?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

http://starbulletin.com/2007/10/20/news/story01.html

State lawmakers' final draft of the Superferry-savior bill rejects the 29 conditions that environmentalists and ferry opponents had demanded be part of any measure to keep the boat afloat.

Nice to see maybe there will be some common sense that will prevail.

Comment

When I read the first few demands I thought that was a bit extreme. The fact that they're demands is insane! It's as if this group is holding the SF hostage and won't let it sail unless the State of Hawaii meets their "demands".

Protesting is one thing but I think this latest gesture has made those behind the demands as arrogant as what they're fighting against.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Last weekend on Oahu for a visit, I watched a mongoose circus for the better part of two early mornings in a row. Walking through a public park my attention was drawn to some movement under a parked vehicle. I thought perhaps it was a rat or perhaps a cat but very shortly afterward a pair of mongoose dropped themselves simultaneously from the vehicle's (a State van) undercarriage and ran playfully across the parking lot into some underbrush only to emerge from the brush and run, hugging the ground as they do, back toward the van. Just before the pair reached the van another mongoose dropped down from under a vehicle parked next to the van, and then another mongoose just as the first two reached the van. After that it was really hard to tell just how many mongoose there were going up into and dropping down from the undercarriages, running around having such apparent fun. They were so fast and hugged the ground so well it seemed the ground itself was moving around.

Interestingly enough, I was at the public hearings on Kauai Sunday, and a gentleman walked to the microphone and told the mongoose story. He talked about visiting Oahu, Kaneohe-side, working on the rebuilding of a lo'i. While there he happened upon a park where he witnessed mongooses dropping from beneath a state van.

I immediately recalled the story from this thread... I thought, "Hey, I've heard that one before..."

Comment

Working...
                                X