X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 7

Originally posted by dick View Post
    Interestingly enough, I was at the public hearings on Kauai Sunday, and a gentleman walked to the microphone and told the mongoose story. He talked about visiting Oahu, Kaneohe-side, working on the rebuilding of a lo'i. While there he happened upon a park where he witnessed mongooses dropping from beneath a state van.

I immediately recalled the story from this thread... I thought, "Hey, I've heard that one before..."
    Hey! What was that Kauai guy doing on Oahu? Sucking up all our precious jobs, no doubt!
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

What really is an EIS or an EA suppose to prove??? I dont think they will reveal anything we dont already know.

Comment

It will prove that no matter if one is presented, the protesters will find another reason why the HSF cannot operate. They'er hanging their arguements on this decidedly important document. If that EIS or EA proves to redeem HSF, those extremist protesters will find another arguement to stop it.

It comes down to NIMBY.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
          Funny thing is that the Superferry just seems so low on the list of decisions Hawaii's politicians are making which contribute to the anti-Superferry protestors.
          Apparently, it is a higher priority among the state legislature, then to Governor Lingle. Today’s Advertiser reveals lawmakers were ready to begin a special session tomorrow, but Lingle wants to wait.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            If that EIS or EA proves to redeem HSF, those extremist protesters will find another argument to stop it.
            Indeed. And news reports say that they heard from several Kauai residents, including farmers, who were threatened if they dared to testify at the hearing with state Senators there on Sunday, and that at yesterday's hearing on Maui the folks in support of the SuperFerry were screamed at and harassed.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
              Apparently, it is a higher priority among the state legislature, then to Governor Lingle. Today’s Advertiser reveals lawmakers were ready to begin a special session tomorrow, but Lingle wants to wait.
              Lingle is not "waiting", she is making sure that there is "concensus" prior to calling the special session so that the Plantation Democrats don't just turn the whole thing into a bash lingle session.

I'm not a Lingle cheerleader. But when I look at Lingle and this Superferry thing, I have to give her credit for at least stating her position clearly and in public and sticking to it. She says she is for the Superferry. She told Kauai "it’s a done deal" or words to that effect. Now I know that's not the "local style". Meanwhile, all the Plantation Democrats are hiding behind their desks, not answering their phones and sticking their fingers out the window at the State Capital in order to tell which way the wind is blowing so that they can decide what they should think.

But guess what? You are all going to get a wonderful edjumakation on "local style" with this special session. All those Plantation Democrats who went from Kauai to Maui for their "listening tour" didn't publicly express one opinion on the Superferry. Only BS like, “we need to listen to the people, the people need to be heard, blah blah blah” They are just there to respectfully and humbly listen to the concerned voters. Yeah right!

MY ELEMU!

All those kind, gentle, courteous, quiet but effective Plantation Democrats will go back to Honolulu and SCREW over the lolos on Kauai and Maui in one second. And that’s what I think they are going to do. Why? Because there is too much money behind the Superferry already and they know most voters support it. Say, Hanubasa, Taniguchi, English, Hooser, ...... who else? Remember these guys. They went to listen. 99% of the speakers were AGAINST the Superferry. Now watch how they vote.

See the difference between Haole Republicans and Plantation Asians seems to be that Haoles are honest and open when they screw you; Plantation Asians do it behind your back and with grace and style.

No believe?

Jusss watch.
              Last edited by kamuelakea; October 23, 2007, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Yes means no and no means yes...that's Japanese style and yes we are a very passive-aggressive bunch, you know, "Nah don't worry that's okay it's cool", but we really mean to say is, "you borrow my car and dent it and you not going do anything to fix it?"

Understanding asian culture can be so frustrating
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Lingle is not "waiting", she is making sure that there is "concensus" prior to calling the special session
                  Whatever, Kamu. It’s just semantics, as far as I’m concerned. Waiting or making sure ultimately amounts to a delay. And a delay has been and will continue to cost the Superferry money which LikaNui so pointedly describes as “completely unacceptable.”

those kind, gentle, courteous, quiet but effective Plantation Democrats will go back to Honolulu and SCREW over the lolos on Kauai and Maui in one second. And that’s what I think they are going to do. ... They went to listen. 99% of the speakers were AGAINST the Superferry. Now watch how they vote.
                  See, Kamu? You just proved my point. There is already consensus. The House didn’t want any part of these “listening” sessions. If you’re saying the Senate has made up its mind as well, then what other excuse will you give Lingle for delaying the special session? I think it’s obvious. She cares far more for her political tailfeather then a $95 million boat.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

I’ve been thinking that we on Oahu need to make our own demands of the Super Ferry to protect our island from potentially serious side effects.

Memminger beat me to it.

While Memminger’s demands are insanely ridiculous, my demands are merely ridiculous, and the outer islander’s demands are simply ridiculous.

I think we should demand that:

1) All outer islanders shower in showers provided by the Super Ferry and be inspected for ukus before they board the Super Ferry.

2) All outer islander’s must show a same day return trip ticket or proof of proper lodging such as hotel reservations or written invitation from friend or relative.

3) All cars registered on the outer islands must be given a safety check by Super Ferry employees unless the driver can prove the current one was not issued by a friend or relative.

4) All drivers of outer islander cars must prove they are proficient at entering and exiting freeways and know better than to do things such as slam on the brakes to see if aunty is out in her yard.

Anybody have any more?

P.S. I use the term “outer islander” because they are not being very neighborly right now.
                    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                    Ayn Rand

Comment

5) Should pass a written test proving that they know not to stop their car in the middle of the road to talk story if auntie does indeed prove to be standing in that front yard.

6) Have proof that they are employed full-time on the "outer island" and are traveling "on vacation," not to go to a job on Oahu.

7) Show proof that they have brought abundant omiyage from their resident island to appease the opu of their Oahu hosts.

8) Show proof that they have long-term residence on said "outer island" and are not recent mainland arrivals looking to find cheap accommodations on the beach or a "hostel" to hang out in for a few months.

Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Suggested edit of item #2:

2) All outer islander’s must show a same day return trip ticket or proof of proper lodging such as hotel reservations or written invitation from friend or relative, or show an approved camping permit.

I'm sure we can all think of more.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

The special session is now airing Live on Channel 53

Comment

They're taking a break until 2:00pm...but you can listen live Here .
                            So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
                              They're taking a break until 2:00pm...but you can listen live Here .
                              The testimony has been really really interesting. One of the most interesting things that I heard so far is how some professors in the UH Department of Environmental Sciences were commissioned last year to look at the current HRS343 but several "somebodies" in some state agencies dropped the ball and didn't commit the funding to have the study completed. After hours and hours of testimony, that perked up a few Senators' ears, and I'm sure that little oversight will be taken care of next session.

Miulang

P.S. I am surprised at the number of Neighbor Island testifiers who are in Honolulu today (especially those from Kaua'i). They must've taken advantage of those $19 airfares. Ooh...Garibaldi is going to be testifying in a few minutes, too.
                              Last edited by Miulang; October 24, 2007, 04:58 PM.
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I still don't get it.

If I ship my car by Young Bros. to Kauai (all without an inspection of the car) and fly there to pick up my car (without cleaning my shoes or taking a shower), drive around Kauai, use their camp sites and buy food in their stores. Camp in the parks. and do this for a week. no one on Kauai seems to care. BUT the minute I do the same thing with the HSF I am dead meat by the so called Enviromentalists on Kauai.

Comment

Working...
                                X