This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 7

What training do the other sea operators get for whale strike issues?

Comment

The Superferry bill, SB1 SD1 passed out of the combined House Transportation and Finance committees by a vote of 23 - 2 unamended late last night. Earlier yesterday the same bill cleared the entire Senate by a 20 to 5 vote.

The bill will next go to final reading in the House by tomorrow, where it is expected to pass barring any last minute manuevering by those who oppose the Superferry. When it passes the full House vote tomorrow, the bill will next go to the Governor's desk for her signature.

After that, Hawaii Superferry will be able to sail again.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Yipeeeee!! foa The Superferry and foa Hawai'i!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
          After that, Hawaii Superferry will be able to sail again.
          Well, as far as legislators and the governor are concerned. No doubt there'll be hippies back in the water waiting to greet the thing the next time it enters the harbor.
          Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
          I sense a real rift is developing between Honolulu County urbanites and the “keep da country, country” silent majority on the outer islands.
          Silent majority? At best, "outer island" residents seem basically split on the Superferry question. Hell, basic math would seem to suggest that even a unanimous "outer island" position on any issue would not add up to a majority on anything.

Not that I'm discounting the minority view, which in most cases I'm sympathetic toward. But the popularity of the phrase "silent majority" has been thrown about a bit loosely in this debate, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            Well, as far as legislators and the governor are concerned. No doubt there'll be hippies back in the water waiting to greet the thing the next time it enters the harbor.
            Probably so and this time I hope they are arrested and prosecuted. They have been warned to not break the law even by those legislators who oppose the Superferry.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
              Interesting that the vast majority of the neighbor island senators voted against the bill, even with the conditions it places on the Superferry that supposedly address environmental concerns. I sense a real rift is developing between Honolulu County urbanites and the “keep da country, country” silent majority on the outer islands.

A rift maybe. But the politics is funny. Just as I predicted, most of the lawmakers who went on their "listening tour" and made every effort via the media that they were there to get the "peoples message", and then listened to 99% ANTI-superferry testimony, went back to Honolulu and voted for the Superferry.

Then you gots-two love the "yes with reservations" vote. What is that? A spineless out for spineless legislators who don't have the balls to take a stand.

An overrepresentation of republicans voted a straight Yes.
              An overrepresentation of democrats voted a Yes.... but no blame me.

Not surprisingly, the outer islanders voted no. But even those could be, as we say in Hawaiian, Shibai. These guys have the votes counted before the vote so up to 49% of the Senators and House members can still vote no, knowing that their vote won't stop the legislation.

Then you gots-two love how so many lashed out at Lingle, implying that she somehow has self interested business relationships with the Superferry (although they provide no evidence but of course she is a Republican and a Haole so muss be eh?) while Calvin Say goes on the listening tour, enjoys a polite reception, is determined by whomever decides these things that he has no conflict of interest, all the while knowing that his son is one of the superferry employees. Funny kine, no?

Hawaii is worth the popcorn for its entertainment value. Hawaii to me (along with Iran, Palestine....) is a great example of how Democracy sometimes doesn't work when the population as a whole can't handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                No doubt there'll be hippies back in the water waiting to greet the thing the next time it enters the harbor.
                Hmmph.

Ryan, you were one person I assumed would be less inclined to use a term such as "hippies" (clearly meant with a derogatory tone) to describe those who choose to express their concerns via protest (a form of dissent we are fortunate to have in this country, even though it is abused by some.) Or perhaps you meant it to describe those with environmental issues high on their agenda - such as the "hippie" who was recently awarded a Nobel Prize.

Or maybe you're just too young to really know what "hippies" were/are, and only have a media-retrospective-filtered image in your mind?

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                  The House just heard testimony from an HSF steward who said that the "thorough" training he and other employees got was a Powerpoint presentation. No hands on training at all.
                  Please do tell us (including sources) exactly what "hands on" training the ferry stewards receive there in Seattle.
                  They're stewards, for gosh sake! A lower-level nautical equivalent of flight attendants but with far fewer responsibilities. Do your ferry stewards in Seattle practice hands-on serving drinks to passengers? Do they practice telling passengers where the restrooms are located? Do they practice hands-on giving mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to whales?

There's a whale avoidance policy in place, but they haven't been trained on what to do if they strike a whale.
                  The captain and deck crew certainly have been. What on earth could a lowly steward do?!? Chances are, IF the SuperFerry hit a whale, nobody on board would even feel it!

Originally posted by dick View Post
                  And what, jump in the water and administer first aid?
                  The dude's a steward.
                  Your troll crap is tired already.
                  And yet, like the Energizer Bunny, it just keeps going... and going... and going...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                    What training do the other sea operators get for whale strike issues?
                    Among other things, all personnel who work on any commercial boat have to be licensed by the Coast Guard (a Merchant Mariners Document). For some classes of employees (anyone above a common deck hand or food handler), there are other requirements called STCWs (Standards, Training and Certification for Wayfarers) which is made up of multiple components and require more than a PowerPoint presentation, including fire fighting and prevention, personal survival techniques, elementary first aid and social responsibilities. In addition, there are additional requirements and training if you serve on a passenger ship and are responsible for the safety of passengers (Reg. A-V/2 or A-V/3 of the STCW Code). I'm pretty sure the stewards are responsible for passenger safety, like the first officers and captains are.

I can't find anything specific relating to whale strikes and procedures. Probably included in the NOAA Fisheries documents somewhere, but I don't have time to go look for it right now.

(Later): Found on the NOAA Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary site, some information for mariners about whale strikes (basically calling a toll free number to report a collision). NOAA is offering some classes through Nov. 20 for local sailors who need to know what to do when they are around whales.

Miulang
                    Last edited by Miulang; October 30, 2007, 11:24 AM.
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

(Later): Found on the NOAA Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary site, some information for mariners about whale strikes (basically calling a toll free number to report a collision). NOAA is offering some classes through Nov. 20 for local sailors who need to know what to do when they are around whales.
                      So how is this any better or worse than a power point presentation? Maybe the ferry has that toll free number on speed dial?

Comment

I can't find anything specific relating to whale strikes and procedures. Probably included in the NOAA Fisheries documents somewhere, but I don't have time to go look for it right now.Miulang
                        Miulang,

If you hit a whale, get out and check if get one hole in your hull.

What would you be doing with your life if there were no internet. I say librarian.

Aloha

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
                          Miulang,

If you hit a whale, get out and check if get one hole in your hull.

What would you be doing with your life if there were no internet. I say librarian.

Aloha
                          Kam: I was just replying to Joshua. And I am not a librarian. If you hit a whale or harass or injure a whale, you could get fined anywhere from $10,000-20,000. That much I already knew.

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I can't find anything specific relating to whale strikes and procedures. Probably included in the NOAA Fisheries documents somewhere, but I don't have time to go look for it right now.
                            Well, thanks anyway for posting hundreds of words that are totally and completely unrelated to the subject at hand.

(Later): Found on the NOAA Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary site, some information for mariners about whale strikes (basically calling a toll free number to report a collision).
                            Heh. Hehehehe. BWAAAhahahaha!!!

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                            Maybe the ferry has that toll free number on speed dial?
                            Or maybe by "hands on" she means that the 'stewards' should have the toll free number tattooed on their wrists?

Comment

I was just replying to Joshua.
                              With information that was totally irrelevant to the issue at hand.

If you hit a whale or harass or injure a whale, you could get fined anywhere from $10,000-20,000. That much I already knew.
                              So, what, you want a cookie?
                              Everyone -- or damned near everyone -- here in Hawaii who fishes or who has a boat already knows that information. Is it Breaking News in Seattle?

Comment

Hmmm....what happens if the whale has an "Ooooooo....SHINEY!! Must get the SHINEY!" moment and charges the boat?

http://www.local6.com/news/6703068/detail.html

http://www.nbc10.com/news/11240191/detail.html

Comment

Working...
                                X