This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 7

All I got to say is WOOO HOOO!! I be a superferry-ing!!!! YESS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
      During the Maui hearings, I think I recall hearing that the humpbacks could be taken off the endangered species list when their numbers reach 12,000 or so.
      So if they are off the endangered list, does that mean all these rules about running over a whale need not apply?

Comment

HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!

From the Advertiser at this link:

The state House voted 39-11 today for a bill that allows Hawaii Superferry to resume service while the state conducts an environmental review of the project.
        The state Senate approved the bill 20-5 on Monday, so it now goes to Gov. Linda Lingle, who is expected to sign it into law.
        The House vote was the finale of an extraordinary special session of the Legislature to respond to the Superferry controversy. Lingle had called lawmakers back into session to overturn court rulings and save the project.
        The bill places operating conditions on ferry service to protect whales and other marine life, prevent the spread of invasive species and preserve cultural and natural resources. It also provides liability protection for the state from lawsuits by Superferry over delays in ferry service, although Superferry can bring future claims.
        The bill overturns a Maui court ruling last month that blocked Superferry from using Kahului Harbor until the state completes an environmental review. The state Supreme Court ruled in August that the state was in error in February 2005 when it exempted the project from an environmental assessment.
        Environmental groups on Maui brought the legal challenge that has stopped the project at Kahului Harbor for the past two months. Protesters on Kaua'i caused Superferry to voluntarily suspend service to Nawiliwili Harbor.
        John Garibaldi, the president and CEO of Superferry, said after the House vote that he hopes to resume service by Nov. 15.
        And from the Star-Bulletin at this link:

Lawmakers today gave final approval to a measure allowing the Hawaii Superferry to sail while an environmental impact study is conducted.
        The state House passed the measure by a vote of 39-11, with one representative excused.
        Senate members previously passed the bill, 20-5. It now goes to Gov. Linda Lingle, who is expected to sign it.
        Senate Bill 1, Senate Draft 1, imposes tougher conditions than the bill introduced in both chambers at the beginning of the session last Wednesday, but emerged as the one most lawmakers can live with.
        House members debated the bill today, the final day of the special legislative session that was called to address the Superferry issue.
        Both supporters and opponents urged the community to come together, noting that the issue has been one of the most divisive in the state’s history.
        “We’re one aina, one Hawaii,” sad Rep. Joe Souki, one of the strongest supporters of the ferry. “We’re not four Hawaiis, we’re not eight Hawaiis -- we’re one, and we must rememebr that and we must respect the people of the different islands.
        Opponents remained critical of the ferry as well as the special session that was called to craft a law in response to court decisions that prevented the ferry from sailing while an environmental review is completed.
        HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
          So if they are off the endangered list, does that mean all these rules about running over a whale need not apply?
          Here is the "official" list of definitions. I believe it would be up to the Feds and/or the State to modify the mitigations, since both have management rules(see Sec. V for the actual definitions). I don't know how often the humpback's criteria are re-evaluated, although I know that they now do annual counts throughout the islands in the Feb. timeframe.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Ferry protesters, listen up: The tribe has spoken. You are the weakeshlink. No soup for you!
            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
              Ferry protesters, listen up: The tribe has spoken. You are the weakeshlink. No soup for you!
              Heh. Blaine, when I first read what you wrote, I thought you wrote "the BRIBE" has spoken! (gotta clean off my glasses)

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                I thought you wrote "the BRIBE" has spoken!
                Sheesh, yet another cheap shot. Better read Ian Lind's blog today, and his article in the Honolulu Weakly. Even anti-HSF'er Ian Lind admits there was no bribery or any financial games.
                HSF donated $12,500 to Lingle's campaign fund. That's beer money to a campaign that had just under $7 million.
                Today's bill passed by a ratio of 4:1. That's an 80% approval, which pretty much matches the opinion of those of us who LIVE here.
                Get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                  So, what do you (the collective "you," not anyone specific) think will happen next to the protesters, as you know the protests will continue. Do you think there will likely be a dramatic increase in pressure on the authorities to (a) keep them at bay, (b) make more arrests, and/or (c) hit them with harsher penalties?

(Note - I'm asking what you realistically think will happen; not what you want to have happen.)

Comment

Thank goodness that's over. Now we won't have to worry about waiting another 30 years for an alternative to flying interisland.

It's too bad something like a giant amphibious assault hovercraft isn't feasbile. I'd like to see a protester try and get in front of that.

The 540-ton Zubr LCAC, the world’s largest amphibious assault hovercraft, can reach speeds in excess of 60 knots, can travel 300 nautical miles and can shoulder various large loads: 130 tons of cargo, 500 troops, three 50-ton medium battle tanks, 10 BTR-70 armored personnel vehicles or eight BMP-2 infantry fighting vehicles. [via defensetech.org]

Realistically speaking, if a protester chooses to bang on the hood of my truck when I pull out of the ferry they will have some hurtful consequences to pay.
                    Last edited by MixedPlateBroker; October 31, 2007, 04:54 PM.
                    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Do you think there will likely be a dramatic increase in pressure on the authorities to (a) keep them at bay, (b) make more arrests, and/or (c) hit them with harsher penalties?
                      (Note - I'm asking what you realistically think will happen; not what you want to have happen.)
                      Both A and B. Any safety-related interference with HSF must be dealt with strongly the very first day they resume service in order to deliver the proper message.
                      Protesters have every right to reasonable protests, but if it affects safety, then pfffffbt on them.

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
                        It's too bad something like a giant amphibious assault hovercraft isn't feasbile. I'd like to see a protester try and get in front of that.
                        Heh. If any protesters got in front of that, they'd look like this:
                        Last edited by LikaNui; March 9, 2008, 11:33 AM.

Comment

In regard to the protesters, just enforce the law.

Comment

The rap up of today's proceedings in the House.

Miulang

Comment

I said back in early October that the Superferry would get bailed out by the Hawaii State Legislature. Nothing about the special session suprised me but I do have reservations about the way all of this came about.... Hawai'i politics at its finest!

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                                I said back in early October that the Superferry would get bailed out by the Hawaii State Legislature. Nothing about the special session suprised me but I do have reservations about the way all of this came about.... Hawai'i politics at its finest!
                                No, you're wrong, Keanu. Remember that Gov. Lingle kept repeating over and over "we're not saving one business; we're providing another transportation option for the people of Hawai'i". It would be hugely ironic if another ferry line decided to try to set up shop and use the same tactics that HSF did to compete against it (right now, we will have a ferry monopoly). Then would HSF cry foul? The bill, after all, doesn't name HSF; all it says is high speed ferry service.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X