X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 7

From this Breaking News item on the Advertiser's website:

Judge clears Hawaii Superferry to sail

The Hawaii Superferry has been cleared to sail.
    Maui Circuit Judge Joseph Cardoza today lifted a court injunction that has kept the high-speed ferry from operating to Maui since Aug. 27.
    The judge ruled this afternoon, after hearing arguments from state Attorney General Mark Bennett and Wailuku attorney Isaac Hall, who is representing three groups pushing for an environmental review before the ferry can resume service.
    Hawaii Superferry President and CEO John Garibaldi, who is attending the hearing, told The Advertiser today that if the injunction is lifted, the company would announce a startup date by week's end.
    He said it would take about two weeks to rehire furloughed workers and gear back up to provide service to between Honolulu, Maui and Kauai.
    Cardoza's lifting of the injunction was the ferry's last legal hurdle to resume operations, wrapping up a two and half year legal challenge that nearly scuttled the $250 million enterprise.
    (...)
    And here's the item from the Star-Bulletin website:

Judge lifts injunction on Superferry

A Maui judge lifted an injunction against the Hawaii Superferry today, helping to clear the way for the ship to resume sailing to Kahului Harbor.
    Maui Circuit Judge Joseph Cardoza made the ruling this afternoon after hearing oral arguments this morning on a motion to lift the order.
    The motion was filed after Gov. Linda Lingle signed into law a bill authorizing large vessels like the Superferry to operate while an environmental study was being done. The law was passed by the Legislature in special session last month.
    Superferry chief executive officer John Garibaldi has said his interisland carrier could resume operations in a couple of weeks once it receives government approvals, including the lifting of the injunction.
    (...)
    Attorney Isaac Hall, representing some citizen groups including Maui Tomorrow, has argued that the new law passed in special session is unconstitutional.
    (...)
    After Cardoza issued his ruling to lift the injunction, Hall requested a stay of the decision while the plaintiffs appeal it to a higher court. Cardoza denied Hall's request.
    HALLELUJAH!!!

GO SUPERFERRY!!!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Woo hoo! I get tickets! Anybody get one big pickup truck, like go Maui with me go grab some rocks and opihi! Can go buy up all da manju, too, bring um back Honolulu!

Heeheehee!
      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
        i hope in the next election,she's defeated so we wont have to hear of linda lingle again and she wont ever be governor again.
        Due to state law the governor can only serve two terms and this is Linda Lingle's second term. So she won't be running for governor the next time around.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          [...]

HALLELUJAH!!!

GO SUPERFERRY!!!

What he said!
          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
          We're not here to mess around
          Boston, you know we love you madly
          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
          You know we couldn't live without you
          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

True, but she *could* run for something else.

Comment

hi this is sansei and in reading miulang's post, it make's some sense only i would've agreed with the person who wanted to file a petition to sue linda lingle and that would've made the best sense and i hope in the next election,she's defeated so we wont have to hear of linda lingle again and she wont ever be governor again. i think they the enviormentalist will try to overturn and have the judge put the injunction in again and i'll be smiling.

well thank's for your time
              This is totally INCOHERENT!

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                Due to state law the governor can only serve two terms and this is Linda Lingle's second term. So she won't be running for governor the next time around.
                Thanks for saying that, Helen. I was going to say the same thing earlier, but then I decided to just skip it because, well, trying to explain anything to Sansei is like talking to a brick wall.
                And I try to not do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                  Today Judge Cardoza ruled that Act 2 was legal so he is lifting the injunction for Kahului Harbor; HOWEVER, the plaintiffs can still appeal that decision, so it may not be over quite yet.
                  It is not over yet. But I doubt the plaintiffs can get any appeal expedited where it can be heard and decided in two weeks ?
                  Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

hi this is sansei and in reading miulang's post, it make's some sense only i would've agreed with the person who wanted to file a petition to sue linda lingle and that would've made the best sense and i hope in the next election,she's defeated so we wont have to hear of linda lingle again and she wont ever be governor again. i think they the enviormentalist will try to overturn and have the judge put the injunction in again and i'll be smiling.

well thank's for your time

Sansei,

Hi. How are you? Good I hope.

Anyway, can you sense that you guyz are loosing your grip? Jusss like your man Cayetano said last week, only got one Haole Republican in office and yet she seems like she's getting things done her way? Funny kine no? No can be? One Haole lady against 100 samurai legislators? Who going win?

You probably don't like Superferry cuz you guyz aren't getting your cut. Not like the good old days when the Plantation Democrats would upzone da Aina and sell for huge profits to Haole and Japan Japanee developers. Hooo, doz waz da dayz, no Sensei?

Thank you for your time Sansei, oh, and, Arigato plenny.

Comment

People taking their cars to Maui are still going to have problems. The 2 cars per minute ruling from Judge August still holds, as does having non-HSF employees monitoring the traffic at that corner. The last car off the boat will be waiting at the dock more than 1 1/2 hours to get onto the main road.

When going back home with your car, get to the dock early too (they will be open 2 hours ahead of sailing time) because they will be thoroughly inspecting EVERY SINGLE CAR.

2 more key dates for HSF: January 2008, when the Legislature begins its next session and March 2009, when the EIS is supposed to be completed and Act 2 goes away.

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                        People taking their cars to Maui are still going to have problems.
                        The sky is falling!

The 2 cars per minute ruling from Judge August still holds, as does having non-HSF employees monitoring the traffic at that corner. The last car off the boat will be waiting at the dock more than 1 1/2 hours to get onto the main road.
                        Cool. I don't mind waiting at all. The vendors in the area will get some of my money as I stroll around the neighborhood.

When going back home with your car, get to the dock early too (they will be open 2 hours ahead of sailing time) because they will be thoroughly inspecting EVERY SINGLE CAR.
                        Inspect all they want. I've got nothing to hide. And like arrival, I can kill some waiting time shopping in the neighborhood.
                        Unless, of course, Maui doesn't want my money.

When you're dealt lemons, make lemonade.

Comment

While I would have liked to have taken the HSF to Maui, it's better late than never. CHOOOO HOOOOO let the HSF sail!
                          ___
                          "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
                            While I would have liked to have taken the HSF to Maui, it's better late than never. CHOOOO HOOOOO let the HSF sail!
                            Exactly! I'm going to Kauai on Friday. How I wish I was taking Leimomi with me on da Superferry! Shua would have want to see what kind of action if any would have occurred. Well, I'll get to ask my Ohana up close and those who live there what dey think first hand.

I'll report back with my findings.

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

The million dollar question is if the plaintiffs will be able to find a judge that will grant another injunction blocking service to Maui.
                              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                                The million dollar question is if the plaintiffs will be able to find a judge that will grant another injunction blocking service to Maui.
                                There's one more hurdle they have to get past: the court of Judge Joel August. I'm not sure he's going to be willing to get rid of that 2 car per minute rule he established, which HSF says is a deal breaker. And even if he does allow more than 2 cars per minute, the traffic monitors (who will not be HSF employees) will be the ones who determine how many cars leave the dock area, depending on the main traffic flow on Kaahumanu. During the work week, I don't think many more than 2 cars a minute are going to be able to merge onto the main road anyway, because traffic right at that intersection is generally pretty horrid most of the day even without HSF traffic.

Miulang
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X