X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 7

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
    A breakwater off the mouth of the harbor, effectively blocking incoming waves.

What's more expensive? Developing Kahului Harbor or building out a second harbor for the island?

And worst case scenario if indeed Kahului Harbor is destroyed, Mulberry harbours.
    I don't know the answer; that's what the EIS that Belt Collins is doing for Kahului Harbor is supposed to determine: If it makes sense to continue to try to cram more services into Kahului Harbor. But whatever is finally decided, Maui can't wait until 2030.

For disaster recovery purposes, it makes more sense to have a second harbor somewhere else on the island.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...4S99.DTL&tsp=1

While Hawaii's anti-Superferry crowd is concerned that one new boat might bump into a humpback whale, the Japanese have just set out on a mission to intentionally kill and sashimi up to 50 humpbacks.

The Japanese whalers left with a brass band playing "popeye the sailor man".

Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
        http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...4S99.DTL&tsp=1

While Hawaii's anti-Superferry crowd is concerned that one new boat might bump into a humpback whale, the Japanese have just set out on a mission to intentionally kill and sashimi up to 50 humpbacks.
        Thanks for that, Kamu. Your article truly puts the “whale debate” in perspective. Here’s what Greenpeace has to say:

An opinion poll carried out in Japan by the Nippon Research Centre, in June 2006, showed that 95 per cent of Japanese people never or rarely eat whale meat. More than two-thirds of Japanese do not support whaling on the high seas.
        Hmmm... once again, it’s a corporation vs. the people. Another battle for Kaua‘i/Maui environmentalists to join?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          Oh, and don't forget to pretend that you never saw this reply. What a convenient way to ignore those pesky little facts.
          Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
          Lika, that's why I ignore these "lame" rantings from 2500 miles away. A case of half-truths and selective "evidence." No credibility at all.
          So, is using the "ignore" function a good thing or a bad thing?

(This is NOT a real question, you understand...nor does it require a real answer.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            So, is using the "ignore" function a good thing or a bad thing? (This is NOT a real question, you understand...nor does it require a real answer.)
            Actually, it IS a real question and deserves a real answer... which is that a certain person's supposed use of the Ignore function allows her to avoid answering hard questions and facing hard facts. So to her the Ignore function is a good thing, but to everyone who wants to see real answers and a fair discussion, it's a bad thing.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              So, is using the "ignore" function a good thing or a bad thing?

(This is NOT a real question, you understand...nor does it require a real answer.)
              I don't use the IGNORE function. I just "ignore" their posts ...............

Comment

A Great friend of mine's is coming from the mainland and I have us booked on the Superferry 12/06! I'm goin' to Maui! Also got the hotel(Maui Seaside) and rental car(Alamo) reserved already too! Will head back here to Oahu on 12/08. Really excited 'bout this. Okay so I'm not sailin' to Maui this time...
                but still going by boat! HaHa!
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                  A Great friend of mine's is coming from the mainland and I have us booked on the Superferry 12/06! I'm goin' to Maui! Also got the hotel(Maui Seaside) and rental car(Alamo) reserved already too! Will head back here to Oahu on 12/08. Really excited 'bout this. Okay so I'm not sailin' to Maui this time...
                  but still going by boat! HaHa!
                  You could walk to your hotel from the ferry terminal!

You can even wave at the ferry when it leaves Kahului from your room if it's facing north. Next time for a better deal on cars, use Aloha Car Rental. You can get kamaaina rates from them (and they are cheaper than any of the nationals because the cars are not the current year models).

PM OggBoy and see if you can meet up with him. I think he still works in Kaahumanu Center up the street.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                    I don't use the IGNORE function. I just "ignore" their posts ...............
                    If you "ignore" my posts, why do you bother commenting on them, hmmm?

Miulang

Comment

Hey if Maui is not ready for HSF, the Big Island would gladly welcome HSF service to either Kawaihae or Hilo....Maui's loss is the Big Island's gain

New harbors are not cheap to build. Plus they require a EIS, which would increase the cost even more. Its a bit annoying you are preaching Maui needs this, Maui needs that
                      when you are not living or paying taxes here.
                      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                        Hey if Maui is not ready for HSF, the Big Island would gladly welcome HSF service to either Kawaihae or Hilo....Maui's loss is the Big Island's gain

New harbors are not cheap to build. Plus they require a EIS, which would increase the cost even more. Its a bit annoying you are preaching Maui needs this, Maui needs that
                        when you are not living or paying taxes here.
                        Kawaihae is going to need a new pier too, isn't it? And it's not just ME who's saying something has to be done in Kahului Harbor. I am just reflecting what others who are residents of Maui County are saying, like my family who live there.

Aaron, Kahului Harbor IS having an EIS being done right now in preparation for 2030. It should be ready sometime next fall, before the EIS for HSF, which isn't due until March, 2009. There's also supposed to be an EIS on the cruise industry too, that's due next fall.

Miulang

Comment

She also does not pay income taxes and GET 24-7-365 either, like we do while actually living in Hawaii.

How's that upgrade to Kawaihae Harbor going? Aren't they supposed to be repairing the pier that got damaged by the earthquake last year? Maybe I ought to drive there this coming week since I'll be on the island.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I was on Kauai this weekend. Plenny Ohana I neba see foa many years. Loaded friends came from all ova the island to say farewell to my aunty, Avelina Asuncion. She taught at Wilcox Elementary School and also lectured at Kauai Community College.

I randomly went around and asked about the Superyferry.

Not one gave a negative remark.

Whereva I went...Supermarkets, Kauai Veteran Hall, Airport, etc. etc.. it was the same...everybody wants the SUPERFERRY!

I no kid you!

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                              I am just reflecting what others who are residents of Maui County are saying, like my family who live there.
                              That's a misstatement. You are reflecting what SOME others are saying, but they are clearly the minority.
                              But we're used to those kind of misstatements.
                              We loved it when you accused SuperFerry of not having WiFi but when I proved mere hours later that they did, you took credit for them doing it! (Even though WiFi capabilities had been listed on their website for ages.)
                              We loved it when you said Maui's farmers hated the SuperFerry, but I proved they strongly and collectively supported it.
                              And then there was the Hawaii Canoe Club, which did NOT come out against the SuperFerry.
                              Yeah, we're used to your misstatements.
                              We just read your posts and go and then we go .

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

You know what is really sad? The whole EIS thingy has become a tool of the left wing nuts to simply obstruct for the sake of obstructing.

Lawyer types will know the details but I do know that many of the federal laws on environmental issues mandate that you, the tax payers, must pay attorney fees anytime a lawsuit is "won".

EIS laws were created with good intentions. Hawaii is an environmental disaster in terms of how it has been developed (yes, by mostly the Plantation Asians). Yet the left wing extremists have taken the EIS as a tool. Not a tool to protect the environment, but a tool to simply make money for lawyers.

Thats what I think is the major drive behind the legal battles waged against the Superferry.

Comment

Working...
                                X