X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 7

Originally posted by helen View Post
    I haven't been to any of the facilities on Oahu, Kauai or Maui so I don't know the status or quaility of these facilities and you have made a few posts to these threads about the quaility of the port facilities on Maui. All I can say this, please give this issue some slack. The SuperFerry service has only sailed two or three times since being here in August. No one knows at this point in time if the service will actually work in the long run or not. Or the neighbor island ports being used are the apporiate ports to use.

So the smart move at this point in time is for the temporary facilities. If after a year or two of sizeable traffic thru the port makes for a permanent facility feasible but nothing has been done about it, then sure your agruement has merit.
    Indeed, time needs to be give to see if the HSF will be a permanent fixture or not. Otherwise, building out facilities would be a waste. The one on Oahu was built years before HSF came into the picture. It was always the state's intention to try and draw a ferry operator to Hawaiian waters.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
      Indeed, time needs to be give to see if the HSF will be a permanent fixture or not. Otherwise, building out facilities would be a waste. The one on Oahu was built years before HSF came into the picture. It was always the state's intention to try and draw a ferry operator to Hawaiian waters.
      Then they'd better figure out how to get that barge in Kahului Harbor tethered better, and soon. There's a storm coming in that is expected to produce 25 ft swells coming from the north, which will definitely do some damage to Pier 2C if the barge gets loose again.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        This kind of comment continues to irk me whenever I see it. There are a number of us non-Island residents who contribute to this board, and who hold and express opinions on matters that are part of life in Hawai`i. Some of us have family there who are affected by these issues. Some of us may live there at some point in the future, much as was the case for some of you ex-Mainlanders who moved there in the past.

Last I checked, we were ALL welcome to participate ... and just as welcome to have our points shot to pieces. Fine, shoot down the opinions with which you disagree, or ignore them in whatever fashion you wish. But please stop telling us that we're not entitled to contribute to HT (unless you are the board's owner.)
        Whoa, lets rewind here. I'm not saying you don't have the right to post here. It is when a certain poster insists that a pier needs to built for example it really irks me. Facilities like piers cost a lot of money. Which the taxpayers of this state would have to pay for, not a certain out of state resident.

I would be more irked if this certain poster was trying influence things here on the Big Island. Especially since I was born and raised here.Since she is trying to do it only on Maui, I tolerate it.. to a point.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
          Then they'd better figure out how to get that barge in Kahului Harbor tethered better, and soon. There's a storm coming in that is expected to produce 25 ft swells coming from the north, which will definitely do some damage to Pier 2C if the barge gets loose again.

Miulang
          It sounds to me 2C is pretty useless because any other ship or barge would encounter the same issue when there's a storm, is that correct? Better get that harbor draft moving quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
            It sounds to me 2C is pretty useless because any other ship or barge would encounter the same issue when there's a storm, is that correct? Better get that harbor draft moving quicker.
            You got it, and it's not a Toyota. What's really bad is if that barge gets loose again (or actually if anything gets loose in that harbor) during a storm, the Coast Guard will have to be the ones to corral it and then the tugs have to try to secure it someplace before it can do damage to the piers or other watercraft. It's really kinda ugly. But the EIS for Kahului Harbor, which is separate from the one called for in Act 2, isn't expected to be completed until Fall of next year, and I think even when the draft's been done, there has to be public comment so it's going to drag on for awhile.

Miulang
            Last edited by Miulang; November 19, 2007, 12:59 PM.
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I going holo holo Oahu and go eat gooood kine chinese food for a change then I going go visit da ohana in Waimanalo. No worry I only going shopping small kine, promise no take what no belong back home. I know I not the only one waiting for the HSF.
              OGGBOY
              bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
                I going holo holo Oahu and go eat gooood kine chinese food for a change then I going go visit da ohana in Waimanalo. No worry I only going shopping small kine, promise no take what no belong back home. I know I not the only one waiting for the HSF.
                OGGBOY
                So what you going take them for omiyage? Home Maid Bakery kine stuff or Krispy Kreme?

Miulang

Comment

So what you going take them for omiyage? Home Maid Bakery kine stuff or Krispy Kreme?

Miulang
                  'Opihi and river rocks.
                  Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

So nobody has anything to say about this major breaking news item that I posted this morning?!?:

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    From this BREAKING NEWS item on the Advertiser's website:
                    Maui judge lifts Hawaii Superferry traffic rule

A Maui judge today lifted his previous order that only two vehicles per minute would be allowed to exit from the Hawaii Superferry site at Kahului Harbor.
                    (...)
                    August today said he would drop the rule, ordering the state Department of Transportation instead to provide three trained personnel to manage the traffic flow based "on real-time conditions." The 350-foot vessel is due to resume Maui service Dec. 1. The ferry will depart Honolulu at 6:30 a.m. and arrive at Kahului Harbor three hours later. The departure time back to Honolulu is 11 a.m.
                    The court case over the ferry's potential traffic impacts was initiated by the Maui Tomorrow Foundation, the Kahului Harbor Coalition and Friends of Haleakala National Park, who disputed an environmental assessment of a group of projects contained in the DOT's Kahului Harbor Master Plan 2025. One of the projects already completed is a bridge over a drainage canal that will be used by vehicles going to and from the ferry.
                    (...)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

So nobody has anything to say about this major breaking news item that I posted this morning?!?:
                      I'm all for it, having a staff is much more flexible and reasonable as they can adjust to changing conditions. I don't pretend to know Maui's traffic condition so I didn't have much to comment.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                        'Opihi and river rocks.
                        Maybe the 'opihi, but it would cost too much to put river rocks in your luggage, since there's a 50 lb limit per bag now. You'd be able to smuggle enough to make one manini imu with what you could fit into a suitcase.

Comment

Hmm ... I wonder if they need any on-call people for those positions? I was JPO captain in sixth grade.
                          "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Miulang
                            Krispy Kreme of course. Its Maui 2007. A new dawn. For better or for worse. For me? Worse.

Comment

Komoda Bakery creme puff`s, mo betta than Krispy Kreme. And no! you not getting river rocks, already sharing plenty sand...
                              bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
                                Komoda Bakery creme puff`s, mo betta than Krispy Kreme. And no! you not getting river rocks, already sharing plenty sand...
                                Excellent taste. Take some guava jelly and passion fruit jelly filled malasadas too. Those are onolicious.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X