X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 7

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
    It's a darn good thing I picked the 6th!
    The SuperFerry has rescheduled the restart date till then and even if it doesn't, I'll get flights over since the Hotel and car are booked already. Here's a link to the story in this morning's Advertiser.
    http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...11270346/1001/
    Yes, this is just a continuation of the "bad karma" this enterprise has experienced since the beginning. But, better to be safe than sorry. Wouldn't want anyone or their car to end up in Kahului Harbor because that barge broke loose again.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
      Yes, this is just a continuation of the "bad karma" this enterprise has experienced since the beginning. But, better to be safe than sorry. Wouldn't want anyone or their car to end up in Kahului Harbor because that barge broke loose again.
      Bad karma because they want to make sure there's enough of buffer time for the repairs? What about in the past when other marine companies have experienced bollard damage? Is it karma too?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
        Bad karma because they want to make sure there's enough of buffer time for the repairs? What about in the past when other marine companies have experienced bollard damage? Is it karma too?
        The bollards have been replaced and the boats/barges have been tied down securely afterwards, and it didn't take a week, either.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The bollards have been replaced and the boats/barges have been tied down securely immediately afterwards, and it didn't take a week, either.

There actually could be other reasons for the delay, such as the fact that the Coast Guard still hasn't issued its official extension of the security zone (if that's what they intend to do) which must be published in the Federal Register, and they probably told HSF not to start on Dec. 1 because there will be demonstrations scheduled on that day plus now on Dec. 6.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
            The bollards have been replaced and the boats/barges have been tied down securely immediately afterwards, and it didn't take a week, either.

There actually could be other reasons for the delay, such as the fact that the Coast Guard still hasn't issued its official extension of the security zone (if that's what they intend to do) which must be published in the Federal Register, and they probably told HSF not to start on Dec. 1 because there will be demonstrations scheduled on that day plus now on Dec. 6.
            Okay and what links can you point me to that states the bollards have been replaced already? The Advertiser link also stated that the barge suffered some damage from that surge. Either way, if you want to play conspiracy theorist, that's your right. I just find the constant harping rather tiring, the ship will sail. Then the market will decide if there is a need for this service or not. Simple as that. At the end of the day, an EA/EIS is nothing more than a piece of paper that will detail what's pretty obvious to anyone with a brain, this ship does no more or no less harm than what the other ships in the waters have been doing.

Comment

Is it karma too?
              Well...if you believe in the concept of karma, it explains just about everything.

Comment

Eh, anybody else booked on the Dec. 6 run to Maui? I need to talk to you!

Please send me a PM if you are booked on the inaugural run.

Mahalo,

Blaine
                Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Mr. Garibaldi will be speaking at the monthly Small Business Hawaii breakfast this coming Thursday morning, November 29.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                    Eh, anybody else booked on the Dec. 6 run to Maui? I need to talk to you!

Please send me a PM if you are booked on the inaugural run.

Mahalo,

Blaine
                    Right on Buddy!

I'll see you aboard and even buy ya a coffee.

Aloha,
                    (From a real local haole, HaHa!)
                    Jeff aka.-Menehune Man
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Here's a link to the complete onboard menu.
                      Should be a pretty comfortable 3hr tour. Where've I heard that before?

http://www.hawaiisuperferry.com/the-...oard-menu.html

Or...
                      "A simple, economical upgrade to your ticket allows you to enjoy the deluxe Hāhālua Lounge, where you will be greeted by a welcome-aboard drink, a pupu, complimentary coffee and the lounge’s dedicated crew. Oversized leather seats, special lounge tables and eight LCD flat-screen televisions enhance the environment.

Complimentary newspapers and board games round out the entertainment options. So sit back with a cold draft beer or wine, buy a delicious sandwich, and admire the stunning forward views. It’s the ultimate seagoing experience in the most beautiful islands on earth." (From the webpage)

Gotta love that name! Hāhālua Lounge.
                      Last edited by Menehune Man; November 28, 2007, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Gotta love that name! Hāhālua
                        That's the Hawaiian name for a Manta Ray, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          That's the Hawaiian name for a Manta Ray, isn't it?
                          Yes it is.
                          English word - Hawaiian word
                          manta ray - hahalua

Just sounded funny to me at the time?
                          I've got a Weird sense of humor, eh?!

Comment

I've got a Weird sense of humor, eh?!
                            Something I count on, MM; we have it in common.

Comment

It's a darn good thing I picked the 6th!
                              The SuperFerry has rescheduled the restart date till then and even if it doesn't, I'll get flights over since the Hotel and car are booked already. Here's a link to the story in this morning's Advertiser.
                              http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...11270346/1001/
                              I hope nothing delays the service past Dec. 6th.
                              If it does, they better give passengers ample warning!
                              Would hate to show up at the harbor early morning and be told...
                              that we're not sailing. Know what I mean?!

Comment

I hope nothing delays the service past Dec. 6th.
                                If it does, they better give passengers ample warning!
                                Would hate to show up at the harbor early morning and be told...
                                that we're not sailing. Know what I mean?!
                                Your best bet is to check with the NOAA weather forecasts beginning on Monday. The 5-day forecasts are usually pretty accurate. The unfortunate thing is, even if it's blue skies in Hawaii, the swells that might be coming in from some storm further out in the Pacific can still impact Kahului Harbor. And the even more bummer part is because the boat leaves Honolulu so early in the morning, you might not know until you're enroute that the swells in the harbor are too dangerous to try to dock the boat in Kahului Harbor, in which case, they will probably turn around and head back to Honolulu.

They still don't have a permanent fix for the barge breaking from its mooring problem (like they think a winch system will help keep the barge from breaking away, but they haven't installed it yet or tested it).

Just an FYI: the swells that broke the cable the second time (yes, it's broken away twice already in the last month) were about 3 ft., so anything that size or larger coming from the north could cause problems with the barge.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X