X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 7

Originally posted by sansei View Post
    I Thought to share this with everyone. (...) I Thought to share this with everyone.
    Sansei, next time you have a thought... just let it go.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
      No, because the waters that those little Canadian car ferries and the Washington State ferries cross are very calm compared to the open waters of the channels around the islands of Hawaii.

I'm not saying that the boat will sink, but with the car deck being open at one end, the salt spray will kick up if the wind is whipping up froth on the ocean, and the wake from HSF going at 25 kts is going to be greater than a boat going 18 kts max speed.

Like I said, I've been in a passenger catamaran about half the size of HSF in the middle of the Strait of Juan de Fuca several times during bad storms, and when that sucker was rolling and going up and down, it was also cutting through some pretty rough swells and gale force winds, so it was going even slower than usual. It normally takes about 4 hours to get to Victoria from Seattle, but those trips were over 5 hours long.

Miulang
      Calm waters or not, the cars are still exposed to ocean water and spray. Especially around winter time, it may not be massive swells, but don't tell me it's not windy. Riding a ferry in San Francisco Bay is pretty sheltered but it sure is windy and the water kicks up even on bright sunny days.

Also, cars are designed with rust in mind, that's why every manufacturer includes a rust warranty. Nothing a good car wash with flushing of the undercarriage won't take care of.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
        [...]
        Also, cars are designed with rust in mind, that's why every manufacturer includes a rust warranty. Nothing a good car wash with flushing of the undercarriage won't take care of.
        Just what I was thinking! Every morning when I get in my car in Makaha there's a layer of salt spray on it. I always have to turn on the windshield wipers first thing!

Comment

Phone Contact:
          1-877-HI-FERRY (1-877-443-3779)
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
            Eh, anybody else booked on the Dec. 6 run to Maui? I need to talk to you!

Please send me a PM if you are booked on the inaugural run.

Mahalo,

Blaine
            I am hoping to get off of work, and experiencing the inaugural run from this end. Mentioned it to my supervisor...we'll see.
            ___
            "Be god to each other."

Comment

Bad news. The swells in Kahului Harbor broke the mooring line to the barge AGAIN today. The boat might not be able to get to Kahului tomorrow to realign with that barge, so a trip on Dec. 6 may be problemmatic. Eyewitness reports from Maui say the waves are going crazy in the harbor, breaking over the breakwater and going in all directions (the waves are also splashing onto Beach Rd). It must be really bad, because the NCL boat also broke a line.

Akaku has a tape playing right now with an interview of the Coast Guard and what the security zone in Kahului Harbor will be. They will also be broadcasting live on Thursday if the boat does sail.

Miulang
              Last edited by Miulang; December 3, 2007, 04:49 PM.
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The swells in Kahului Harbor broke the mooring line to the barge AGAIN today.
                It would have been appropriate if Ms. Negativity had also quoted this part of that same article:
                A tugboat is assisting the DOT with the state-owned ferry barge, which has broken its lines on two prior occasions.

The NCL's Pride of America broke several of its lines and was expected to cancel its overnight stay on Maui
                Not so shameful for the SuperFerry now.

Comment

A brief excerpt from this Breaking News story, just posted on the Advertiser's website:
                  Giant waves on Maui today damaged facilities at two north shore public beach parks and injured one tow-in surfer, county officials said in a news release.
                  Baldwin Beach Park and Ho'okipa Beach Park were both closed at 2:30 p.m. and will remain closed until the areas are declared safe by ocean safety personnel.
                  At Baldwin Beach Park, wave faces were reported to be 60 feet to 70 feet on the outside reef and a tow-in surfer sustained severe cuts and a possible compound fracture to his leg, officials said.
                  Waves as high as a 7-story building. Gee, big surprise that there was damage in the harbor.

Comment

I, and I believe anyone booked on the voyages for 12/06/07 are on edge.
                    Is it gonna go? They say yes for now, but we'll see.

Makes for a very uncomfortable feeling and I won't be going by the SuperFerry in the future unless the problems with the harbor are fixed.

If people can't depend on it running, then they can't depend on it period.

Comment

Here's this morning's Advertiser article concerning the SuperFerry.
                      The training run may not go.
                      http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...12040353/1001/

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                        I, and I believe anyone booked on the voyages for 12/06/07 are on edge.
                        Is it gonna go? They say yes for now, but we'll see.

Makes for a very uncomfortable feeling and I won't be going by the SuperFerry in the future unless the problems with the harbor are fixed.

If people can't depend on it running, then they can't depend on it period.
                        That's the problem with the weather. Man still hasn't figured out a way to control it in the way we'd like to be able to. And given the problems that have always plagued Kahului Harbor when northerly swells hit in the wintertime, this problem isn't going to go away without extensive and costly modifications to the harbor. For the sake of ferry passengers, I hope the Coast Guard errs on the side of safety, which will probably mean more cancelled voyages.

MM, I know you and a friend from the Mainland want to come to Maui and he won't be in Hawaii for long (plus you already have the hotel and car rented), so if something happens tomorrow and the boat can't make it to Maui to realign with the barge, there's a special deal that HSF has made with Hawaiian for $19 flights that might work for you (instructions are on the website).

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          A brief excerpt from this Breaking News story, just posted on the Advertiser's website:

Waves as high as a 7-story building. Gee, big surprise that there was damage in the harbor.
                          Another Advertiser article detailing other ships being affected.

- Pasha's Jean Anne had to leave port without unloading its vehicles.

- A YB barge couldn't unload/load before leaving.

- NCL Pride of America lost multiple lines and had to use its thrusters to maintain position alongside the pier. Then they had to leave early.

So how is this bad karma on HSF? Everybody using that harbor is taking a hit.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                            Another Advertiser article detailing other ships being affected.

- Pasha's Jean Anne had to leave port without unloading its vehicles.

- A YB barge couldn't unload/load before leaving.

- NCL Pride of America lost multiple lines and had to use its thrusters to maintain position alongside the pier. Then they had to leave early.

So how is this bad karma on HSF? Everybody using that harbor is taking a hit.
                            It's only karma if you look at all the other trying circumstances HSF has had to endure in trying to launch their business (the lawsuits, the Special Session, etc). It's also something that would have been/will be discovered with that EIS that's being done. What would have happened if the EA had been done prior to the first voyage and this problem had been identified? What would the mitigation have been? What will the mitigation have to be now that it is a known problem? I mean the top priority should be the safety of passengers and crew of the boat, don't you think?

Miulang

Comment

Comment

1)That's the problem with the weather. Man still hasn't figured out a way to control it in the way we'd like to be able to. And given the problems that have always plagued Kahului Harbor when northerly swells hit in the wintertime, this problem isn't going to go away without extensive and costly modifications to the harbor. For the sake of ferry passengers, I hope the Coast Guard errs on the side of safety, which will probably mean more cancelled voyages.

2)MM, I know you and a friend from the Mainland want to come to Maui and he won't be in Hawaii for long (plus you already have the hotel and car rented), so if something happens tomorrow and the boat can't make it to Maui to realign with the barge, there's a special deal that HSF has made with Hawaiian for $19 flights that might work for you (instructions are on the website).

Miulang
                                1) It's truly not a problem with the weather/waves.
                                There are harbors around the world in much harsher conditions that are usable everyday. The problem lies in our politicians not dealing with the true needs of Hawaii. They'll spend uku-pile money on stupid beautification projects while not correcting needed infrastructure, harbor, sewage, etc. Really ridiculous!

2) I just spoke with a SuperFerry rep. and she told me that if they don't go, we'll be refunded and given a deal to fly over.

Comment

Working...
                                X