X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1stwahine
    replied
    Re: What's for Dinner - Chapter 4

I had a Combination Udon Special from the corner unit at the International KauKau Court. On the right side of the stage. They also serve fresh Italian style Pizzas. The Soup was good. I told the cook to add kim chee. It had Shrimp Tempura, Katsu, Pork Slices, Fish Cake, and Green Onions. The udon was good. I will go back.

Auntie Lynn

Leave a comment:

• Roddee
    replied

A huge bowl of turkey jook and hot jasmine tea.

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

BBQ Chicken plate lunch from Yummy's BBQ at the Ala Moana Food Court.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Originally posted by Barry View Post
    I’ve even lost weight since I’ve been cooking from scratch, so what does that tell you?
    It tells me that you don't like your own cooking, that's what.

JUST KIDDING, Barry!

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

Barry,

I always cook from SCRATCH!

Auntie Lynn

Leave a comment:

• Barry
    replied

Cooking from Scratch.

I think I have gone back to my roots ?

Lately I have started to cook from scratch, I’ve thrown out all my oven chips, chicken dippers, and other frozen crap and have started to stock up on herbs and spices. I buy my meat in bulk and freeze it. I’ve spent about £40 on meat in the last two weeks but once you’ve got a well stocked freezer, cupboards full of ingredients you can keep the costs at a minimum. When I go out and do the shopping I only get vegetables, and can manage on £25 a week in shopping. Ok, every couple of months I
    have to buy more meat, but it still works out cheaper I get my chicken from the Asda , it’s guaranteed to have been supplied from a local poultry farm and freshly killed. I get my lamb chops and pork steaks from the market and my mince meat and stewing steak from the supermarket.

Anyway, I made a chicken/sweetcorn soup today and it was very tasty, but it made me realise how much we have become used to artificial colourings and flavourings. When you open a tin of Heinz chicken soup it’s all creamy looking and looks good. The soup I made didn’t look anything like what Heinz produce, but I’d say it was better.

People say that they haven’t the time to cook from scratch and it’s far easier to stick some frozen chips and some chicken dippers in the oven for half an hour. I say that’s not true, people still work eight hours a day like they did thirty years ago, so why do you think we no longer have time to prepare a home cooked meal?

I’ve even lost weight since I’ve been cooking from scratch, so what does that tell you?

Leave a comment:

• SusieMisajon
    replied

PS They still do the goosefat on the chest thing for colds over here.

Leave a comment:

• SusieMisajon
    replied

Chin up now. I will make you chuckle. As a child in France we never went in for Goose Fat (except as a cure, spread on brown paper and put on your chest for coughs and colds.)

Instead we had beef dripping. This was in a huge crazed basin and left in the pantry. We would snatch some bread and smear it with the dripping, salt and pepper and eat it on our way to school.

Ohhhh!

I have been licking lard all week long...leftover from a huge pork shoulder roast that I did over the holidays. I poked the roast with about four cloves' worth of garlic and then rubbed it with salt and liquid smoke and then drizzled olive oil over it and roasted it it really slowly for about fourteen hours. It was delicious but there was so much of it. In the end, I scraped up all the rest along with the dripping and canned it.

There was just about two jam jars worth of fat and drippings that didn't go anywhere but on the stove for use in cooking (see recipe for tortillas) Everytime I go past I stick my finger into the jar and then lick the delicious, melting, garlic-y fat off.

Leave a comment:

• Barry
    replied

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
    Homesick. I'm homesick.
    Chin up now. I will make you chuckle. As a child in France we never went in for Goose Fat (except as a cure, spread on brown paper and put on your chest for coughs and colds.)

Instead we had beef dripping. This was in a huge crazed basin and left in the pantry. We would snatch some bread and smear it with the dripping, salt and pepper and eat it on our way to school.

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

You took my mind back to the Galaxy Restaurant.

I used to love the early morning brakfasts which I could get downstairs in the International Market. That food would set you up for the day and many a long hike or drive.
    Wow! What service! As foa the International Market Place, heheheh I am working there now. I share Love and ALOHA and also make shua everything is secured and safe. The only hard time I get is from the smokers. From Kalakaua to Kuhio the property is Private and a Non-Smoking Area. I've been called everything in the book but I keep SMILING. Dey neba see me get mad yet. I have to keep cool and professional at all times. But if somebody hit me den das a different story. Da FAMOUS Whacks Whacks going come out!

Food is plentiful at the Court. I can't smell but I can still see all the delicacies.

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn

Leave a comment:

• SusieMisajon
    replied

Homesick. I'm homesick.

Leave a comment:

• Barry
    replied

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
    I work in Waikiki now. I enjoy talking with the tourists. What I don't like is the cost of food. It's very expensive. Last night, I tried Chinese fast food at a place called Fatty someting near the back side of Miramar Hotel. I ordered 1 piece Shoyu Chicken, Sweet Sour Pork and Noodles for $5.50. Da Shoyu chicken tasted like it was just boiled in little wata and shoyu, SSP was passable and the noodles was dry and tasteless.

Well, da good ting about it all is with all da walking and da expensive food around (ha ha ha) I definitely going lose weight!

Now no get me wrong. Get some excellent places to go kaukau. In fact, I love Galaxy Restaurant. It's upstairs in the International Mkt. Place. Kuhio side Entrance, next to Mad Dog Bar. Talk about great cuisine at great prices.

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn
    Aloha Auntie Lynn from across the puddles in frozen England.

You took my mind back to the Galaxy Restaurant. We were having a most delicious meal in the International Market. Suddenly ! the heavens opened and the rain came in on us upstairs. It came down with a vengeance and the waitors stood over us with umbrellas.

I used to love the early morning brakfasts which I could get downstairs in the International Market. That food would set you up for the day and many a long hike or drive.

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

I work in Waikiki now. I enjoy talking with the tourists. What I don't like is the cost of food. It's very expensive. Last night, I tried Chinese fast food at a place called Fatty someting near the back side of Miramar Hotel. I ordered 1 piece Shoyu Chicken, Sweet Sour Pork and Noodles for $5.50. Da Shoyu chicken tasted like it was just boiled in little wata and shoyu, SSP was passable and the noodles was dry and tasteless.

Well, da good ting about it all is with all da walking and da expensive food around (ha ha ha) I definitely going lose weight!

Now no get me wrong. Get some excellent places to go kaukau. In fact, I love Galaxy Restaurant. It's upstairs in the International Mkt. Place. Kuhio side Entrance, next to Mad Dog Bar. Talk about great cuisine at great prices.

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn

Leave a comment:

• SusieMisajon
    replied

We had rice steamed with little green peas, canned sardines fried with shoyu, sunny side up fried eggs, and ketchup.

Leave a comment:

• cynsaligia
    replied

Originally posted by helen View Post
    #4 combo from the Ala Moana Arby's.
    what's the #4?

dinner for eric and me was turkey taco salad: ground turkey browned and seasoned with garlic, onions, and my cumin-chili powder-cinnamon-paprika-cayenne pepper spice mix; romaine lettuce, hauula tomato, local avocado, cheddar and havarti cheeses dressed with pace picante sauce. we had garden of eatin's blue corn tortilla chips on the side instead of putting the salad into a taco shell.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X