You Like Hummus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: You Like Hummus?

tutusue: you're right! it's bragg's. does it taste the same as shoyu?

regarding the slippery elm powder: can you get it from say down to earth or umeke market? also, would you know if it had any drug interactions with "western meds"?
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
      now, whea did all dis pidgin come from?!
      I dodono. For my GB pain, I take aciphex. I have an issue with high triglycerides and take gemfibrozil and glimepiride takes care of my blood sugar for the type II. Das wai hawd since I wen come wun ol'fut, ah? Gotta take dis owah dat foah dis an dat.

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      ..I'll try experiment making Pita bread sandwiches, using the Hummus as a spread, along with Alfalfa sprouts, cucumbers and maybe some cold cuts, sliced salmon or somethin'.

Or how about Hummus Pizza? Or Hummus Tacos? Sounds pretty good, actually.
      The sangwich sounds awesome. Getting in the mooood. First I gotta bake some whole wheat bread tomorrow. Pizza I dunno. Tacos sounds good.

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
      You can bake falafel!! Just like cookies! It's really good with hummus.

I ALWAYS add a spoonful of cumin seeds. And you can also add a small piece of onion to the blender or food processor, for extra flavor. And of course, garlic.
      Thanks for the tip on being able to bake falafel. Now to hunt down a recipe I can live with. Your tips on alternative seasoning for the hummus also sounds good. Never thought of using onion. Cumin or maybe some curry powder. Hmm.

man, does that sandwich sound onolicious!!!! been having avocado, clover sprouts, onion (even though it gives me gas) and tomato sandwiches. yum!

if you are vegetarian, i'll start a new thread with a recipe i concocted for chow fun. tastes almost exactly like down to earth's. i would have used theirs but it wasn't on their website.
      Gas? If at home, jes liff one cheek an let'r rip. Oh, sorrysorry. Girls don't do those things. ...not.

Eh, I read that recipe you posted. Gonna have to try that too. Our Mel loves pasta and broc anyway and it doesn't matter if there's meat. Maybe a compromise is add some Amano brand tempura. HO! I gotta try'um now.

Comment

Love, love, LOVE hummus!

Here's a twist on the traditional hummus that I also enjoyed, as brought to you via Chef Beau Beair:

Edamame Hummus Dip
        (serves 4-5 people)

Edamame, 2C (boiled, deseeded)
        Garbanzo Beans, 1C (cooked, equivalent to 3/4 of a 12 oz can)
        Olive Oil, 1/2 C
        Roasted Garlic, 5 cloves
        Tahini (paste), 1Tblsp
        Soy Sauce, 1/4 C
        Sake, 1 Tblsp
        Mirin, 1/4 C
        Lemon Juice, 1/4C
        Fresh Thyme, 1/2 Tblsp (remove stems, finely chopped)
        Paprika powder, 1/2 Tblsp

Blend edamame, garbanzo beans, roasted garlic, tahini, soy sauce, sake, Mirin, lemon Juice, thyme, and paprika together in a blender. Continue to blend ingredients and slowly add olive oil. Blend until thick, creamy consistency. Serve with lavosh, pita bread, toasted bread, etc.

Comment

darollingeye: i used aciphex when i was first diagnosed. then i switched over to protonix. both worked very good. but i went generic zantac (ranitadine) it's just cheaper and works the same for me. i'm still wondering about that slippery elm powder? regarding the chow fun recipe. it's really good. if one must add some type of protein, try tofu or maybe bits of chicken or pork.

absolutchaos: sounds yummy!
          "chaos reigns within.
          order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
            Pizza I dunno.
            Done here: Hummus Pizza. What's interesting if you check out that recipe, is the majority of reviews from folks who've actually made it (over 50) are highly favorable. Enough where I'm convinced to give a shot.

AC, that asian-influenced Hummus recipe by Chef Beau Beair sounds great! How about this: make that recipe, then use it to make a California Maki Sushi Roll, substituting the Mayo' with that Edamame-based Hummus. I bet it would rock! It would be one of those "whatever is in this, this is great!" secret ingredients.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I read this thread topic entirely too fast. I thought that we were either discussing a vehicle or something, uh, else.
              I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
                I read this thread topic entirely too fast. I thought that we were either discussing a vehicle or something, uh, else.
                So now dat you know it's not dis or dat, where's your recipe for your favorite hummus?

Comment

Eh, that hummus pizza is starting to sound pretty good. Kinda like a white pizza.

The recipes and tips sound great, guys. Keep'em coming.

Oh yeah, my next batch of hummus is going to be curry flavored. If cumin seeds work, the rest should follow.

Ah, this toasted Everything Bagel and homemade hummus is great..munchmunchmunch...Mahalo Scriv.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                    So now dat you know it's not dis or dat, where's your recipe for your favorite hummus?
                    I lazy, I get store bought. I'm interested in AC's recipe though!
                    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

The recipe I use is similar to Scriv's, except instead of peanut butter I will use a small (.5 tsp?) of curry powder. And then to give it a little kick I'll put a few drop of Blair's After Death Sauce. (Roasted garlic is a definite must, too.)

But that PB style is something I will definitely try!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
                        The recipe I use is similar to Scriv's, except instead of peanut butter I will use a small (.5 tsp?) of curry powder. And then to give it a little kick I'll put a few drop of Blair's After Death Sauce. (Roasted garlic is a definite must, too.)

But that PB style is something I will definitely try!
                        Whoa, backstroke on da hot sauce. I got bad guts right now and hot sauce kills me. Maybe after they take the damned thing out. Opppttt, maybe not. Mel don't like spicy.

Comment

okay. you had me hooked. went to pyramids in kapahulu to eat their $10.95 all you can eat buffet. and, of course, i had hummus with warm pita bread. the only thing that was a little off (only today) was the rice pudding. seemed a little too sweet.
                          "chaos reigns within.
                          order shall return."

Comment

okay. you had me hooked. went to pyramids in kapahulu to eat their $10.95 all you can eat buffet. and, of course, i had hummus with warm pita bread. the only thing that was a little off (only today) was the rice pudding. seemed a little too sweet.
                            We love the place and always drop in whenever we're down that way and have a little extra cash. I always feel "healthy" after eating there. Got so many different cooked and fresh veggie dishes plus the coucous, grilled chicken, falafel, yogurt sauce, etc.

Too bad about their rice pudding, not that I really like their's in the first place. My wife made a batch and THAT was good. Simple recipe and didn't take long at all.

Oh man! I just bit into my bagel topped with a curry flavored hummus. Can't type right now. Bye.....

Comment

i'm not really into desserts anyway.

now, that curry flavored hummus sounds onolicious! have you tried putting curry powder in tuna salad? or in saimin? yum!

on that same day we went to the kapahulu safeway. wow! when/if are they going to upgrade the one over here in kailua? i like to get the "grind your own" nut butters. but, it's way cheaper at down to earth. down to earth only has peanut and almond butter. safeway has chocolate peanut, peanut, honey roasted peanut and cashew butters.
                              "chaos reigns within.
                              order shall return."

Comment

Aha! I found this basic hummus recipe today in the Advertiser.

1 15oz can garbanzo beans, drained
                                4 cloves garlic, sliced
                                1 tablespoon tahini
                                Juice of 1 large lemon
                                1/2 teaspoon salt
                                1 tablespoon water
                                1 tablespoon olive oil

Combine all ingredients in a food processor (or blender) until smooth, and you're done!

1 tablespoon has 34.2 calories, 1.3 g fat, 4.5 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 1.5 g protein

Oh, yeah, dont forget to add cumin! (my favorite seasoning ever!)
                                ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Working...
                                X