Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best japanese restaurant?

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
    Palama Mama and I went to Hee Hing, on Kapahulu, a couple of nights ago. Their sizzling oyster with ginger and green onions & chicken with veggies were excellent. These choices aren't sumpin a Japanese restaurant would serve, however. Waaay back in the '70s, I recall Hee Hing as a hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant.
    What was that chinese restaurant in Kaimuki in the municipal parking lot called?
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      What was that chinese restaurant in Kaimuki in the municipal parking lot called?
      Are you thinking about Kaimuki Chop Suey? An HTer mentioned it closed after a fire. My eyes teared up when I drove by and saw the door still locked.

Off topic, aren't we?
      Last edited by Palama Kid; March 17, 2008, 09:53 PM. Reason: Edification
      Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Just wondering---what's the new restaurant going to be on King Street in Kaimuki? Makai side---I heard it was going to be a Japanese restaurant and it certainly looks like it but there are no signs (as of yesterday). Nice building.
        I've been driving past it for about six weeks now thanks to Sunday Puppy Kindergarten at the Humane Society and I'm curious.

Comment

There was mention of Sasabune... as I've mentioned before, I've never been to a more foul sushi "restaurant" than that place. The guy who runs the place is a total tool. It's omakase, but there's a weird "I am god" feel to the dude. Rubbed me the wrong way. Plus it's stunningly over-priced for what you get. I ate in Tsukiji for less, and got much better food.

I do like Bamboo in Moiliili. It's the closest I've come to "real" Japanese food (since I've been back from Japan) in terms of katei ryouri.

And if you like Okinawan (while not Japanese per-se), try Hiro-Chan, also in Moiliili.

Comment

so i went to yohei today for the first time. i'm going to give it a B+. had the salmon which was pretty bland. it came with the various pickles, miso soup and soba which tasty pasty. the nigiri was good. the place was packed.
            "chaos reigns within.
            reflect, repent and reboot.
            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              Hong Kung? Geez. It's been so long, can't remember straight. Used to go there every week with the first wife. She liked Chinese food. The "new" one doesn't.

Comment

Re: Best Japanese restaurant?

hi this is sansei and if anyone may remember the easy music center before you'd turn to young street,well now their's a new japanese restaurant coming up only i dont recall the new name only it is japanese and this should be a good restaurant is it's in a good location and that they'll have lot's of parking so i thought to share this with you.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
                  hi this is sansei and if anyone may remember the easy music center before you'd turn to young street,well now their's a new japanese restaurant coming up only i dont recall the new name only it is japanese and this should be a good restaurant is it's in a good location and that they'll have lot's of parking so i thought to share this with you.

Well thank's for your time
                  It's called Champions. I thought Champions was going to be dakine, Korean bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                    It's called Champions. I thought Champions was going to be dakine, Korean bar.
                    Champions is a Sports bar (Champions Sports Bar and Grill). It opens today. Looks like a very large bar.

And for Sansei, that Japanese restaurant you're thinking about might be the one nearby, where the old Jack in the Box used to be, at King and Sheridan. It's called Hawaii Shokudo Kingyo. I don't know if it's open yet or if it's related to the Shokudo at Ala Moana.

Comment

For sushi I'd defintely recommend Mitch's Sushi Bar. Kind of in an odd place for a high quality sushi restaurant, but worth trying nonetheless!

Here's my review on it:

http://www.locokinegrindz.com/mitchs...ket-sushi-bar/
                      Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Best noodle shops on Oahu for National Noodle Day | KHON2

Is it the broth or the texture of the noodles?

Comment

Working...
                        X