Big Island Grindz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Island Grindz

I need some help finding good eats (as Alton would say) on the Big Island. Here's what I've got so far...

Teshima's (Kainaliu): I love this place, wish it was closer to Waimea
    Hina Sushi (Hilo): Some of the best sushi I've had, including in Japan
    Miyo's (Hilo): only been once, but I really liked it
    Hawaiian Style Cafe (Waimea): more of a quantity than quality thing, but definitely good country fried steak
    Yong's Kalbi (Waimea): Not bad, not great
    Cafe Pesto (Kawaihae): meh
    Captain Dano's (Kailua-Kona): A surprising food court place that has never disappointed
    Lotus Cafe (Kailua-Kona): My wife love's this place, though I'm not a big Thai fan (and to me their non-Thai stuff tastes very Thai!).
    Roy's (Waikoloa): Yeah, okay, fine and all, but I could have blown $100+ bucks on something else.

Anyway, so that shows some of my tastes/biases. The other places I've been (e.g. Tante's, Lilikoi Cafe, Charley's, Cafe 100, Bamboo, Big Island Grill, etc.) has been okay (but I probably wouldn't eat there again), too pricey, or both. So fill in the gaps, what do I need to try? Who should I give a second (or third or fourth) chance?

Re: Big Island Grindz

Royal Thai at Keauhou Shopping Center, Kona - I think about $15-18 average for lunch. If you don't really like Thai, then this might not be what you're looking for, but they have great Thai food. Basil spring rolls . . . mmm, ono!
    Last edited by Jim75; June 6, 2008, 10:45 AM.

Comment

If you're in the mood for dessert and in the Kohala area on the north side, don't forget to stop by Holy's Bakery in Kapa'au and pick up one of their broke da' mout' Buttered Apple Pies. Simple, yet so decadent and delish! Da' best!

KTA might have them in the freezer section (take-and-bake) if Kohala is too far. Fortunately us Oahu folks can get them right here at Star Market.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
        If you're in the mood for dessert and in the Kohala area on the north side, don't forget to stop by Holy's Bakery in Kapa'au and pick up one of their broke da' mout' Buttered Apple Pies. Simple, yet so decadent and delish! Da' best!

KTA might have them in the freezer section (take-and-bake) if Kohala is too far. Fortunately us Oahu folks can get them right here at Star Market.
        You know, it never even occurred to me to actually go to the Bakery. For some reason I always assumed they just distributed to KTA and wherever else (I only shop there, lots of local products). Thanks for the info, I'm checking that out next time I'm up in Kohala. Pie in general is one of my favorite food groups (I think it's a new category in the USDA chart), Holy's especially so. Here's to pie!

By the way, just got back from Maui this weekend. I love that Charley's in Paia. Mmmmm... Wish I was eating that smoked salmon eggs benedict right now...

Comment

I can't believe I forgot my favorite burger (and more) joint:

Tex Drive-In (Honokaa): Local beef, outstanding locally made buns, and the malasadas... Tex has ruined my chances of being able to enjoy a malasada from anywhere else! I'm to the point where I don't even get malasadas from anywhere else. Usually I like cream filled pastries, but I just go real simple with the plain malasadas. Sooooooo ono!

Comment

Originally posted by MrBobHarrisSan View Post
            I can't believe I forgot my favorite burger (and more) joint:

Tex Drive-In (Honokaa): Local beef, outstanding locally made buns, and the malasadas... Tex has ruined my chances of being able to enjoy a malasada from anywhere else! I'm to the point where I don't even get malasadas from anywhere else. Usually I like cream filled pastries, but I just go real simple with the plain malasadas. Sooooooo ono!
            Hmmm. A burger joint that also serves Malasadas, eh? This brings to mind the infamous Krispy Kreme Burger we discussed a while ago.

How about taking one of them Malasadas and splitting it in half to serve as a bun with a a burger in it?
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
            X