• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johmbolaya
    replied
    Re: How's this for a sandwich that utilizes Spam

Originally posted by Barry View Post
    We called it squirrells possoms and mice ! It was dreadful but must have improved if the can now sell it to Cyprus, Malta and other islands where they find it hard (expensive to import meat)

Leave a comment:

• Barry
    replied

Originally posted by johmbolaya View Post
    Is your version of Spam different from the well-known pork shoulder blend?

We called it squirrells possoms and mice ! It was dreadful but must have improved if the can now sell it to Cyprus, Malta and other islands where they find it hard (expensive to import meat)

Leave a comment:

• johmbolaya
    replied

Originally posted by Barry View Post
    As a war baby I was brought up on Spam (Specially processed artificial meat) Invented in Birkenhead just across the Mersey from where I now live.
    At this time Popeye cartoons were pushing spinache,,,,,, Yukkky,,,, I have never touched either since. (Yet my elder brother still loves Spam fritters.)
    Is your version of Spam different from the well-known pork shoulder blend?

Leave a comment:

• Barry
    replied

Spam has now become expensive here as the compmany can now export to the European Islands.

Leave a comment:

• Barry
    replied

As a war baby I was brought up on Spam (Specially processed artificial meat) Invented in Birkenhead just across the Mersey from where I now live.
    At this time Popeye cartoons were pushing spinache,,,,,, Yukkky,,,, I have never touched either since. (Yet my elder brother still loves Spam fritters.)

Leave a comment:

• johmbolaya
    replied

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
    it is definitely good, but also definitely pricier than W&M.
    I saw the menu and was like "ooh" but if it's of quality, it would be worth it.

Leave a comment:

• cynsaligia
    replied

it is definitely good, but also definitely pricier than W&M.

Leave a comment:

• johmbolaya
    replied

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
    what a coincidence. yesterday afternoon, eric and i were at the monster safeway complex on kapahulu avenue to watch the taping of the burgers on the edge burger genius contest. the taping was a food drive for the food bank plus they had a about fifteen MINIs on site since MINI of Hawaii was a sponsor and it was only a roll down the hill for us.

doris gilbert's "bento burger" incorporates spam:

Burger Name: Bento Burger
    Beef: Ground Chuck
    Cheese: Swiss
    Sauce: Teriyaki
    Toppings: Fried egg, spam, manoa lettuce

unfortunately, her burger, if i am not mistaken, was not one of the top four finalists. i wonder if being driven to the show site in a MINI cooper on tv was enough of a consolation prize. she had a pretty wide-grinned smile when she was in the car....
    The teriyaki takes it over the top too. But yeah, a mini Cooper would be nice.

I've never heard of Burgers On The Edge before. I just placed a link to it in my food blog. Normally if I have to resort to a burger when I'm back home, it's:

W&M
    Tsukenjo
    maybe Zippy's

A burger made with wagyu beef sounds really good. Is it really good?
    Last edited by johmbolaya; June 15, 2009, 11:02 AM. Reason: wanted to add some more things and make an inquiry

Leave a comment:

• cynsaligia
    replied

what a coincidence. yesterday afternoon, eric and i were at the monster safeway complex on kapahulu avenue to watch the taping of the burgers on the edge burger genius contest. the taping was a food drive for the food bank plus they had a about fifteen MINIs on site since MINI of Hawaii was a sponsor and it was only a roll down the hill for us.

doris gilbert's "bento burger" incorporates spam:

Burger Name: Bento Burger
    Beef: Ground Chuck
    Cheese: Swiss
    Sauce: Teriyaki
    Toppings: Fried egg, spam, manoa lettuce

unfortunately, her burger, if i am not mistaken, was not one of the top four finalists. i wonder if being driven to the show site in a MINI cooper on tv was enough of a consolation prize. she had a pretty wide-grinned smile when she was in the car....

Leave a comment:

• johmbolaya
    replied

Found some photos of it:

Leave a comment:

• johmbolaya
    replied
    Re: Add some mayo and...

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    ...I'm in!
    There you go.

Portland is only about 4 hours away, so if I make it down there before the end of summer, I'll have to consider it.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Whitfield
    replied
    Add some mayo and...

...I'm in!

Leave a comment:

• johmbolaya
    started a topic How's this for a sandwich that utilizes Spam

How's this for a sandwich that utilizes Spam

Apparently a lot of people in Portland, Oregon love foot carts and lunch wagons, to the point where they're calling it "food cart culture". I was looking at an article somewhere, which lead me to another, which lead me to Food Carts Portland.

There's a cart called Brunch Box and they have something called an OMG! Burger, a/k/a The Redonkadonk:

I couldn't find a photo of it (which may or may not be fortunate), but if you want a "basic" version of this without the egg, ham, bacon, and Spam, here you go:

Forget your health, this is an instant heart attack party. I have not tried something like this yet, but if you're an avid walker or bike rider, you could burn this off in a few hours. Maybe.
Working...
X