Shoyu show me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoyu show me

Various makes of shoyu have come and gone and some are preferred over others. Kikkoman seems saltier/stronger than Aloha in taste, while a friend mentioned King having been the best, but is no longer made. Being basically similar, what is the reason they can taste so different? What about Yamasa, Kikkoman Gold, or other brands that are available or have disappeared completely but favored?
    Izakaya Hawaii: Tokkuri Tei Cooking is mentioned as a great guide to these sauces. Anybody read it?
    What about liquid amino as a healthier substitute, and what is it, or tamari?

Found this;
    Japanese vs. Chinese: The two are different types of sauces. In general, Chinese sauces are saltier and more densely flavored; a number are also thicker. Japanese sauces are clearer-tasting and more brightly flavored. Taste them side by side, as we did one day at L'Uraku, and you quickly notice the difference.
    Natural vs. synthetic: Soy sauce is made from soybeans and roasted wheat inoculated with Aspergillus mold, mixed with brine to make a mash, then fermented, refined and pasteurized. Even with modern technology that speeds up the process, this takes time — eight to 18 months. Connoisseurs prefer sauces that use whole soy beans (marudaizu in Japanese) and sea salt and are labeled "naturally brewed." In contrast, synthetic sauces, widely available in the United States, use defatted soy meal instead of beans and substances that provoke the desired chemical reaction, as well as colored water, sugars and salt, not to mention preservatives.
    Japanese types. In Japan, three broad types of shoyu are widely used and recognized.
    Usukuchi — literally light mouth —Êis light shoyu — amber in color, clearer and thinner and saltier than darker varieties. (Light here does not mean less sodium.) In general in Japan, Fukui said, lighter flavors are associated with the northern Kansai region —Êthe Osaka, Kyoto area; usukuchi shoyu is favored there. Sometimes these shoyus also contain amazake (sweet rice alcohol).
    Koikuchi is darker shoyu, with a deep reddish color and bright, slightly less-salty flavor. This is associated with the southern Kansai region. It is the widely used kitchen and table shoyu here and in Japan. Kikkoman standard is the best-known example of this style in this country. (But Kikkoman also makes a light or usukuchi-style shoyu that's available in stores that stock Japanese ingredients — don't confuse brand with variety.)
    Tamari is a hearty, dark robust shoyu traditionally made with soybeans only, no wheat. Today, however, true tamari is hard to find even in Japan; most have at least a small proportion of wheat. Originally, tamari was merely a by-product of miso production, made from the liquid pressed from soybeans. Today, tamari is a product in its own right. Confusion persists about this product in the United States because an overzealous pioneer eager to wean the country from synthetic soy sauces introduced naturally brewed soy sauces under the name tamari during the natural foods movement of the 1960s. Some authorities say tamari is the most desirable to use with sashimi.
    A fourth shoyu that is used for specialty dishes is shiro (white) shoyu, a nearly clear sauce made with fewer soybeans. It has a delicate flavor and is used for dishes where color is undesirable.
    The best sauces are made with just four ingredients — whole soy beans, cracked wheat, mold spores and sea-salt brine — and aged slowly. Look for the words "naturally brewed."
    • Usukuchi shoyu/light soy sauce: Literally, "light mouth." Amber-colored, clearer, thinner, saltier soy sauce.
    • Koikuchi shoyu/standard soy sauce: Fermented longer, with deep reddish tones, somewhat heavier texture but less salty. Everyday sauce.
    • Usujio shoyu/lite/low-sodium soy sauce: Literally, "light salt." Introduced because of health concerns, this has between 30 and 50 percent less sodium.
    • Shoyu muen/saltless shoyu: Made from soybeans but no wheat; the brand most widely available here is Riken. Extremely expensive; off-putting flavor.
    • Tamari: Hearty, dark, robust wheatless or low-wheat soy sauce.
    • Shiro shoyu/white soy sauce: Clear, lightly flavored sauce used when color is undesirable.
    • Shoyu blends: Ponzu (citrus-soy blend), amakuchi shoyu (sweetened soy sauce) and shoyu blended with dashi (kelp and/or bonito broth) and other flavoring ingredients; these have various uses as dipping, cooking sauces.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Shoyu show me

See also this and this.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Just to complete your references, I saw a video a few days ago about a product made in Kentucky in used bourbon barrels: Bluegrass Soy Sauce.

Wikipedia has an extensive article on Soy Sauce.

(I don't like shoyu -- too salty.)
      Last edited by GregLee; August 27, 2013, 03:18 PM.
      Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
        (I don't like shoyu -- too salty.)
        Thanx for the links, Greg, I'll check them out.
        Yeah, I can only stand a bit and only in rare circumstances, like with sesame oil on my ahi poke. Not much else, which had me curious about the disco'd King brand that a friend said you could sip for enjoyment it was so mild and tasty. Not now! It really has a yuk factor, but maybe the Kikkoman Gold that is said to be exclusive to Japan is better.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Do some people still put shoyu on their rice?

Comment

Working...
          X