Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Taste Of Honolulu

Um, getting back to the topic...

I like the "Taste of Honolulu." It ain't the most efficient way to raise funds, but it's a very tasty one... and quite popular and effective in that respect.

Sure, the only real way to have the true dining experience these restaurants offer is to go there, but hell... you might not have the budget for a full meal, nor the wardrobe, nor the ability to bring your litter of kids. As a poor, sloppily-dressed dad, I appreciate the opportunity to sample even a weak facsimile of a fancy restaurant's signature dish, because it'll be a few years and a few dozen raises before I'll be able to make a reservation for two.

I would've gone this weekend, but the family was instead sidelined with a flu bug. Also, while "Taste of Honolulu" is fun, it's definitely not cheap. Those $8 sampler plates can add up! Usually I make sure to budget a bit beforehand -- there's nothing sadder than being surrounded by amazing culinary goodies but having only a small stack of scrip in your hand!

Did anyone here actually go? How was it?

Comment

Didn't go, but I did wonder why anyone thought it was gonna be compelling TV. Three hours of coverage Saturday night? OY. 'Course, if you look at it like the annual telethons for MD etc., then I guess it fits.
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

We went on Sunday (it's kind of like we had to go) and it was okay. The best part is the Times groceries - we bought lots of local produce for less than I think it is at the store. Scrips were .55 each if you bought the sheet of nine 1 sheet=$5. We got a big bag of cucumbers for 1 scrip and very nice melons for 3 scrip each.

Food wise, it was okay. Ciao Mein was very popular with their Schezuan chicken and caeser salad in wonton bowl. Hapa Grill was very popular. Hapa Grill used to be Jurison's Westside Inn and the new owner (who is actually the niece of the original owner) is the daughter of Sassy Kassy lunchwagon family. So, their famous Teri Beef and Mac Choco Brownies were flying out the booth.

pzarquon is right - best to make a budget. Oh, Jasmine Trias was the entertainment so we got to hear her sign live - better than expected!

Comment

While I enjoyed myself and stuffed myself until my stomach hurt, I can honestly say that it was better in previous years. The food just wasn't as impressive and the portions seemed even smaller than the portions from before. Lots of people when I went on Saturday (early afternoon), but not so many that it was a long wait in line. I probably waited 5 min max in general.

Look forward to seeing how it is next year.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
            the portions seemed even smaller than the portions from before.

aaaahhh
            they raised their prices..
            dayum their eyes!

Comment

A better deal, I think, was Chefs Against Hunger (or something like that). A benefit for the Food Bank at Restaurant Row.

For $65, you got all-you-can-eat from places like 3660, Hiroshi, Side Street, Roy's, etc. PLUS, there was an open bar with martinis/beer/wine.

All you can eat and drink for $65? Sign me up again next year... was worth every cent.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                A better deal, I think, was Chefs Against Hunger (or something like that). A benefit for the Food Bank at Restaurant Row.

For $65, you got all-you-can-eat from places like 3660, Hiroshi, Side Street, Roy's, etc. PLUS, there was an open bar with martinis/beer/wine.

All you can eat and drink for $65? Sign me up again next year... was worth every cent.
                We had friends who went and loved it. It was a great deal and we're hoping they'll do it again next year - this time we'll go too. I think it was officially called "Great Chefs Fight Hunger".

Comment

Drat--I wish I had known how good Chefs against Hunger was going to be. Oh well, hind-sight is 20-20, no?

I'll make sure I go next year. I was debating it this year and then decided against it for various reasons.

Comment

yah we missed it too... no biggie. we'll try again next year!
                    Reggie aka pinakboy
                    Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                    Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                    Recipe Tube TV!
                    Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

If they're charging an admission fee, more than likely that's the part that's donated to charity.

Miulang
                      According to the big one page ad in Midweek, TOH "gained $271, 082 in just one weekend." They also say that 100% of that money will support 22 different Easter Seals programs throughout the state. I'm curious to know how much money they made overall...

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
                        Drat--I wish I had known how good Chefs against Hunger was going to be. Oh well, hind-sight is 20-20, no?

I'll make sure I go next year. I was debating it this year and then decided against it for various reasons.
                        The Great Chefs Fight Hunger fundraiser is earlier this year. Friday March 24 at Restaurant Row on the lawn in front of Hiroshi's and Ruth's Chris. Tickets have gone up to $85 but it is still a great deal and benefits the Hawaii Foodbank. More details including some of the food being served and how to get tickets.

Comment

Along those same lines...

Saturday March 18
                          Grape Escape Wine Tasting and Fundraiser
                          --Shanghai Bistro, Discovery Bay
                          --2:30pm to 5pm
                          --$40
                          --"Help raise funds for the American Diabetes Association with wine
                          tasting, dim sum, and a silent auction. Goodie bags for all."
                          --www.alphagamhawaii.net/grapescape

Comment

Working...
                          X