Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What food would you never eat?

For AuntieNellieK:

Tibet?? Holy cow...that's really out there! I always thought that area was so politically sensitive to China that it was difficult for just about anybody to get into it. That is something!

I read that you would not ever try insects...made me recall an article I read in the Chicago Tribune once about an area within Mexico where locals eat tortas and tacos made with live insects. It is considered a true delicacy in this area. The reporter who wrote the article documented seeing the eaters of these tacos and tortas with live insects actually crawling up their arms after some the bugs escaped the tacos they were consuming. The tacos came in a variety of insects; the only one I specifically remember the reporter mentioning that locals ate were ants, though others were noted that I don't remember.

Comment

Creepy Crawly Cuisine: http://www.lsu.edu/lsutoday/981023/pagetwo.html

Many insects are edible. In fact, according to www.eatbug.com, an entomophagy (insect eating) Web site, most people have inadvertently consumed more than a pound of insects in their lifetime. Flour beetles, weevils and other insects that infest granaries are milled along with the grain, finally ending up as those tiny black specks in your slice of bread. Small grubs and other tiny insects can be found in fruit and vegetables, and insects are especially common in canned and other types of processed food and beverages.
      Still doesn't appeal to me. Get out the RAID and poison that food dead!
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Creepy Crawly Food For Sale

Scorpions anyone?

Stall Selling Fried Insects

Coconut Cocoons

All looks so yummy.......not!!!!!!!
        Last edited by mel; September 9, 2005, 07:12 AM.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

To convince kids that eating properly prepared insects is not only good for you but can also taste good, our local Science Center has a "bug man" from the UW spend time with kids every so often, coaxing them to eat stuff like chocolate covered ants, deep fried worms, etc. YUCK!! Oh well, I suppose if you can stomach the thought of Gummi worms and rats or pickled aguacate worms in tequila, it's not too much of a leap to graduate to hard core bug eating...

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
            I would never, ever, ever eat BALUT!Yuk!

Auntie Lynn
            Anyone remember that Larry Price slip up on the Perry and Price show one morning? It started out with a conversation on eating Filipino food when a Haole Navy sailor said hs wife is Filipina and he eats all of her native cooking including Balut. Larry Price couldn't believe it but was impressed at his courage to eat the stuff.

When the phone conversation ended it segue'd into a song with Larry Price talking over it to the post saying: This is for the sailor who eats his wife's Bilat" (He meant to say Balut) Meanwhile Michael W. Perry is heard laughing his ass off as the song hit the post.

At the end of the song, Larry Price comes on the air and still doesn't understand his slip up with Michael W. Perry telling their radio audience, "Let's go to the phones". Some elderly female caller tells Larry, "Larry shame on you!" Price still puzzled over the ruckus tells the lady, "I just said the sailor eats his wife's Bilat!" Oh man the female caller was even more embarrassed and hung up.

Michael W. Perry quickly hit another song laughing so hard! When that song ended Larry Price finally figured it out and apologized profusely. That was a radio classic!
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I would never knowingly eat dog, cat, rodents, insects or reptiles. I've tasted frog legs and don't care for em! On a recent trip back home to Hawaii got to taste some bear that my brother shot. He made a stew and it was ono!
              Lovena

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
                I read that you would not ever try insects...made me recall an article I read in the Chicago Tribune once about an area within Mexico where locals eat tortas and tacos made with live insects. It is considered a true delicacy in this area.
                In a sleepy Mexican village ...

"Hey, Pedro! Here comes one of those gringo reporters. Wanna get 'im?"

"Si, Carlos! What should we do this time?"

"Hmm ... I know! Let's tell him we put bugs in our tacos!"

(They both laugh uproariously.)

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                  Anyone remember that Larry Price slip up on the Perry and Price show one morning? It started out with a conversation on eating Filipino food when a Haole Navy sailor said hs wife is Filipina and he eats all of her native cooking including Balut. Larry Price couldn't believe it but was impressed at his courage to eat the stuff.

When the phone conversation ended it segue'd into a song with Larry Price talking over it to the post saying: This is for the sailor who eats his wife's Bilat" (He meant to say Balut) Meanwhile Michael W. Perry is heard laughing his ass off as the song hit the post.

At the end of the song, Larry Price comes on the air and still doesn't understand his slip up with Michael W. Perry telling their radio audience, "Let's go to the phones". Some elderly female caller tells Larry, "Larry shame on you!" Price still puzzled over the ruckus tells the lady, "I just said the sailor eats his wife's Bilat!" Oh man the female caller was even more embarrassed and hung up.

Michael W. Perry quickly hit another song laughing so hard! When that song ended Larry Price finally figured it out and apologized profusely. That was a radio classic!
                  Ok, Ok, Craig...you made me laugh! (Now go answer the question on my Blog!)

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

OK...Forgive the ignorance of this dumb Canadian....What is "balut"? And, what is "bilat"?...I take it "bilat" is maybe something sexual??? NO?

Mahalo,

Claudia

Comment

Originally posted by ojosverdesdegato
                      OK...Forgive the ignorance of this dumb Canadian....What is "balut"? And, what is "bilat"?...I take it "bilat" is maybe something sexual??? NO?

Mahalo,

Claudia

"Balut" is an incubated egg with developed embryo of 17 to 19 days which is boiled and eaten with or without salt.

Bilat is human female genitalia.

Turquoise Duck

Comment

Originally posted by TurquoiseDuck
                        "Balut" is an incubated egg with developed embryo of 17 to 19 days which is boiled and eaten with or without salt.

I thought it was spelled "bilot". (Not that I write it down all that often, mind you.)

Comment

Bilat can also apparently be used as a proper name.

Comment

in some instances, they are both equally fowl.

Comment

Hananakukuleilei! you guys and gals going get it from the moderator! I swear dis just like my BLOG! Betta stay on topic this is drifting some naughty place else...you're invited to Auntie Pupule's Hale for further discussion. Don't dirty the Forum!

Auntie Lynn

PS. Before my lips goes sidewards!
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                                I thought it was spelled "bilot". (Not that I write it down all that often, mind you.)

I think it is spelled bilot, too. Am sure it is pronounced Bee Lot'.

Balut is pronounced Bah Loot'.

(just to clear up any misunderstanding for our Canadian viewers)

Turquoise Duck

Comment

Working...
                                X