Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has the best and worst chicken katsu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Choose Pork or Chicken at...

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    Pomai, thanks for the logo! And yeah, come to think of it you could offer chicken katsu, pork katsu, and even beef katsu too. Like folks have said, the key is the sauce...
    Don't forget chitlin' katsu.

Comment

Re: Choose Pork or Chicken at...

Originally posted by cezanne
      Don't forget chitlin' katsu.
      Why not add Snicker Bar Katsu while we're at it!

Seen that done on the Food Network. Not Katsu style. but battered and deep-fried. No kidding!

Other possibilities:
      • Twinkie Katsu (with whipped cream sauce)
      • Ono katsu (the fish)
      • Beard Papa Katsu (with vanilla custard sauce)
      • Freedom Fry Katsu (with ketchup sauce)
      • Bearded Clam Katsu (with "secret" sauce)
      • Kalua Pig Katsu (with poi sauce)

... the possibilities are endless!
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: Who has the best and worst chicken katsu?

The tonkatsu place at McCully Shopping Center (it was called something else, but the sign did say "Tonkatsu") was EXCELLENT. I went there once or twice a week, and it convinced that although the sauce is very, very important (the sauce there was so yummy, you'd pour it over the bed of cabbage upon which the katsu lay), if you have excellent meat, the sauce isn't nearly as important. They had a katsu made from a pork roast that was unbelievable.

There's a place in Kakaako, on Kapiolani near Cooke, that has tonkatsu that nearly rivals it. It's a bit more expensive, but man, it's awesome. It's in that building where the state Republican Party's office is.

As for chicken katsu, I have to go with Grace's. No, it's not as good as it used to be, but it's still very good.

With all do respect to GlossyP and the others who cite Diner's, I have to say that there are a few places worse. Some establishments cut the katsu up and THEN throw it in the fryer; you can imagine the results. The chicken is tough, stringy, oily, and just plain disgusting. One place that does this is Sea Dragon (next to New Diner's in Kapalama), which is a generally good Chinese restaurant. Just don't get the katsu. There are a few other places that do this, but I can't remember where they are.

I'll second Mr. Ojisan as a terrific establishment not just for katsu, but for ramen, karaage, and everything else on the menu. You can always tell when your food is prepared with care, and Ojisan rises above most places when it comes to carefully prepared dishes; the ingredients taste fresh and every dish seems to be assembled as if the chef is trying to impress a judge.

That means something to me, and I happily pay a few extra bucks for it.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

hey.
          Who can have the best AND the worst at the same time?!

Comment

For the Katsu Curious...

Originally posted by scrivener
            They had a katsu made from a pork roast that was unbelievable.
            That's what I'd call EXTREME KATSU

Scriv', please find out the name of that place in Kaka'ako. Katsu-curious minds wanna' know!

Originally posted by KIMO55
            hey.
            Who can have the best AND the worst at the same time?!
            Any Katsu bento left overnight in the fridge. You always end up microwaving it for late night munchies. Then after you eat, you regret it.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

There's a place in Kakaako, on Kapiolani near Cooke, that has tonkatsu that nearly rivals it. It's a bit more expensive, but man, it's awesome. It's in that building where the state Republican Party's office is.
              I know that place! I used to go there every now and then when I worked at the news building, before The Big Change.

Anyway ... I can't remember the name of the place. Something generic, probably. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a small place, just a few tables. Japanese (I think) employees. And good katsu! I loved it. It's in a small place facing Kapiolani, on the makai side of the street, right? I didn't go there but a couple of times because yes, it was more expensive, and ... well, there's another reason that I won't go into here. More of a service issue. But the food was pretty good.

Comment

Glen I like the idea! Nice logo Pomai!!

When in Hawaii I like the Chicken Katsu at L&L!

The Asian Bay restaurant here in my city has great chicken katsu!
                Lovena

Comment

I believe it is Kaffee Imperial and I have heard good things about their food from Japanese friends who visit Hawaii. They have quite a following amongst Japanese nationals. I haven't tried it yet but probably should put it on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                    Do your tummy (and health) a favor and order HOT Miso Soup with it.
                    Mmm, sounds ono! Although I do like the contrast in flavors between the cool, creamy mac salad and the salty/spicy katsu and sauce... Kinda like poi and Spam.

I've got an idea for the veggies... TEMPEH KATSU!!! There are Chinese restaurants here in NYC that serve veggie versions of popular Chinese dishes that you would swear were 'the real thing', using tempeh, seitan, etc. I used to be veg, eat meat now but still go to these places because the food is good, healthier and not so greasy.

I think I'll try making it when I visit my mom for the holidays and report back with the results...Stay Tuned!

Comment

Working...
                    X