Farrell's returning! Woo hoo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Farrell's returning! Woo hoo!

Yippppeeeee! Farrell's is Bacccck! I can't wait to take Antonio. Kiana still nursing - no can eat ice-cream yet!heheheh

Yeeehaa! Troughing, here we come.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
      Maybe because it was a holiday? Missed opportunity for them, if so.
      We're not talking about Christmas; we're talking about freakin' Labor Day, the most archaic national holiday since Good Friday, if you ask me. You'd think Kaneohe was Hilo...
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
        We're not talking about Christmas; we're talking about freakin' Labor Day, the most archaic national holiday since Good Friday, if you ask me. You'd think Kaneohe was Hilo...

Hey, HEy, HEY ........ easy on that "crack" about HILO!

Even though it's probably TRUE!

Comment

So has Farrell's open up yet?

Comment

'Okay, To All You People Out Dea, I Bet You Guy`s Never Even Know Had One Farrell`s In Maui Too! Fyi, I Was The Original Opener When The Maui Location Opened Up.
            Bob Farrell, The Founder, Of Farrell`s Ice Cream Parlor Was On Hand To Open The Maui Location.'

Yeah I remember the Maui location well. I think it's an IHOP's now? I remember I went to a few B-Day's there including my own where I swore my family to silence cause I would have died of embarressment if they came running to my table making enough noise to drown out a freakin fire engine and sing Happy Birthday to me. Thinking back on it though I wish I had let them do it. Something to tell the kids about instead of that their Dad was trying to hard to be 'cool' and missed out on some childhood fun.
            As long as my Wasabeefu Chips, my Tonkotsu Ramen, and my Chocoflakes stocks are good and I live less than 10 miles away from an L&L's all is right in the world. Yes Utah has an L&L's actually they have 2 now.

But I'm all out of Chocoflakes so I'm only 3/4's fine the last 1/4 of my life you can find me in a fetal position rocking back and forth trying and possibly failing to do College Algebra....Sad but true..

Comment

Farrell's is having an ice cream eating contest this weekend.
              http://www.windwardmall.com/?action=cal&calendar_id=1

Comment

Cool. Has anyone here actually gone since it opened, though? Apart from Scriv's missed chance, I've heard no first-hand reports here or elsewhere. I was really looking forward to Farrell's return, but I guess its brief profile on the TV news a few weeks back made me think that perhaps there's no going back.

Maybe we'll take a trip over this weekend. Though we'll probably steer clear of the ice cream contest!

Comment

Haven't been yet, but they do have a website at http://farrellshawaii.com/ .

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I was there over the weekend. They still serve Green Rivers, made with the syrup and the seltzer water! It was more or less as I remembered it, considering that my Farrell's memories are more than 20 years old.

They don't have the siren and the bell, though. When I was a kid it annoyed the heck out of me when they'd go off every 5 minutes or so for somebody's birthday (and there's always somebody having a birthday at Farrell's) -- but sitting there, I found myself actually missing the sound of those damned things.

Comment

No siren? No bell? No big drum? But that's Farrell's!Or was it just that no one was celebrating a birthday while you were there?

I see their relaunched website captures some of the essense of the Farrell's decor that I remember so well... how does the Windward Mall location look now? Back when it was on TV, it still looked like a remodeled McDonald's. Was the 'trolley car' all spruced up? Did they dim the lights just a little?

Dang it. Sounds like I will be taking the family out there this weekend...

Comment

The drum! I knew I was forgetting something. Yeah, they don't have the drum either. There was someone with a birthday while I was there -- the staff sang for them, not "Happy Birthday" but another song that I remember they used to do. Their patter needed some work -- it could have been more polished and more boisterous -- but that'll come with practice.

The lighting was better than what you describe. The furniture did look a little fast-foodish, now that you mention it -- it was obviously a retrofit of an existing space, rather than a from-scratch rebuild.

I was dismayed to find that the candy shop had only one small basket of jawbreakers -- and they were about $5 for ones the size of a golf ball. What happened to the ones as big as an orange?

Comment

I would love to find some old photos of the Ala Moana Farrell's location. I'm sure my brain has completely "soft filtered" and idealized it in my memories, but still... I remember a lot a brass and wood, big booths, low Tiffany-style lamps, whimsical striped uniforms and a lot of energy. This new Farrell's so far sounds bright and clean and safe, but it sure sounds like it needs a little less McDonald's and a little more... I dunno, Chuck E. Cheese?

Come to think of it, as much as I loved Farrell's as a kid, I bet my parents got the same migranes there we do now at Chuck E. Cheese...

I guess what matters most is that the kids enjoy themselves, so that's what I've gotta test out! And the Green Rivers... and the rest of the menu...

Comment

I see they still have STRAW-ANA, FUDGE-ANA, and COLLEEN'S SALUTE, but what happened to CATHY'S PINK SURPRISE???

My PIG TROUGH days are probably over, so I'll have to limit myself to a regular BANANA SPLIT or BANANA ROYALE. Anyone remember their "banana split" made with sherbert?
                            Last edited by oceanpacific; October 3, 2006, 05:43 PM.

Comment

No bell, siren, and drum? I'm with pz. That's not Farrell's. And I'm with Glen: only ONE small basket full of jawbreakers? Geez. Don't tell me they didn't have the different sizes of swirly lollipops, too. Please.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Is this the ice cream parlor??? Is that what you are referring to? We just had our closed and they began in Oregon. If it is the ice cream parlor...I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I saw the candy and siren references. I am such a turtle some days.
                                Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                                Sharing withother survivors...
                                www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Working...
                                X