Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Taro pies from McD's?

Originally posted by doc1456

Next ting you know, you'll see Hawaiians there cooking the food, or even worse: the employees talking pidgin while taking your order.
    I can't tell if you have something against Hawaiians, those who speak pidgin, or both.

Seeing remarks like that, I find it sad that pidgin has become so frowned upon in Hawai'i these days while there are places on the mainland inhabited by transplanted locals where pidgin is spoken with relish, as often as possible, and is viewed as a proud and precious connection to their Hawaiian roots and culture, to be preserved and perpetuated just as much as hula and Hawaiian music is.

Comment

It sure would be great if people were as concerned with preserving the Hawaiian language as they are with preserving pidgin, which has nothing to do with the "Hawaiian culture" in the historical sense. Many people are so proud of speaking pidgin, and they don't even attempt to speak Hawaiian beyond the basic word here and there. It's kinda too bad.

Just my .02, something I've thought about since I moved here 12-13 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
        Next ting you know, you'll see Hawaiians there cooking the food, or even worse: the employees talking pidgin while taking your order.
        My Blood is boiling! What I want to write will probably get me in trouble...so I'll put it as gently as I can Adrain. Watch it!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza

It sure would be great if people were as concerned with preserving the Hawaiian language as they are with preserving pidgin, which has nothing to do with the "Hawaiian culture" in the historical sense. Many people are so proud of speaking pidgin, and they don't even attempt to speak Hawaiian beyond the basic word here and there.
          From my point of view, suggesting that I learn to speak Hawaiian is a little absurd. Let me explain. Pidgin, to me, has everything to do with my growing up in the Hawaiian culture of my recent ancestors (immigrant plantation worker/pidgin), which is not to be confused with native Hawaiian culture (kanaka maoli/Hawaiian language or olelo Hawai'i). I was born and raised speaking pidgin, not olelo Hawai'i, and therefore speaking pidgin is part of my Hawaiian (not native Hawaiian) cultural heritage. Pidgin was created from the need for the thousands of non-English speaking immigrant plantation workers to interact and find a common form of communication because they all lived in camps in close proximity to each other. This had nothing to do with the olelo Hawai'i of the kanaka maoli (although I think it would be really cool if I was able to learn to speak olelo Hawai'i had I the time and inclination, or the requisite brain cells left, to do so, which I don't).

I'm also not ignorant to the significant strides that the Hawaiian language has recently been taking (immersion schools, Hawaiian language-related University of Hawai'i programs and degrees, etc.) which I see as the Hawaiian language currently being stewarded in a very positive (and not so negative anymore) direction.
          Last edited by lurkah; November 21, 2005, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
            George Clooney @ss or Tom Arnold @ss?
            I am resisting the urge to quantify @ss.

I tried these once, and bought two pies. It was too sweet, starchy and 'process-y'; not wholesome enough for my taste, which disheartened me, because I stopped going to McDs for years as I tried to make good health a priority. Their salads and other healthy fare (well, for a fast-food joint) was what got me to go back and pick from their menu. My expectation for their taro pie was much higher.

Hence, @ss.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
              From my point of view, suggesting that I learn to speak Hawaiian is a little absurd. Let me explain. Pidgin, to me, has everything to do with my growing up in the Hawaiian culture of my recent ancestors (immigrant plantation worker/pidgin), which is not to be confused with native Hawaiian culture (kanaka maoli/Hawaiian language or olelo Hawai'i). I was born and raised speaking pidgin, not olelo Hawai'i, and therefore speaking pidgin is part of my Hawaiian (not native Hawaiian) cultural heritage.
              I appreciate and agree with your comments. I didn't mean to direct my comments to you personally. I meant it in more of a general way. I should have made that clear. I apologize if I caused offense. I didn't mean to (yeah, for once!).

Comment

I can't tell if you have something against Hawaiians, those who speak pidgin, or both.
                [...].
                I still have no idea where Adrian was coming from with his remark. When I go to McD's it's usually in Nanakuli or Waianae. Guess what...

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue

I still have no idea where Adrian was coming from with his remark. When I go to McD's it's usually in Nanakuli or Waianae. Guess what...
                  They love the taro pies, right?

Comment

They love the taro pies, right?
                    That, too!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                      I still have no idea where Adrian was coming from with his remark.
                      Ditto. I think he was kidding.
                      Correction: I hope he was kidding!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                        Ditto. I think he was kidding.
                        Correction: I hope he was kidding!
                        Curious as to why he hasn't come back on the thread to explain himself...

Comment

I tried one for lunch today.
                          Well, okay, for dessert.
                          The Filet Of Fish sandwich was quite fresh and good; the french fries were way way too salty. And while Mountain Dew may be the semi-official drink of Hawaii Threads, I had an iced tea.

The taro pie was surprisingly good. Plenty of little chunks of taro in it, so maybe they listened to some of the earlier complaints about that here. Sweet but not too sweet. I agree with the earlier comment that I like the apple pie better, but the taro pie was just fine. A good investment of my 99 cents.

And yes, they spoke pidgin. And all was well.
                          Last edited by LikaNui; November 22, 2005, 12:32 PM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                          X