Good Eats in the Kapolei Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Eats in the Kapolei Area

Hi - I am a kama'aina who lived in Hawaii up until 1988 when I went to the mainland for college. Now I'm going back "home" with a husband and son and a lot more wrinkes.

We will be going in early March and staying at the Ihilani. Talk about how much Hawaii has changed - the area by the Ihilani was just dirt from what I remember. Anways, I don't know this area at all esp. b/c it's changed so much.

I'm craving good loco moco, poke and korean BBQ. Please tell me your favorite eats around this area and the surrounding areas (like up to 20 miles). My son is young so we went be going to too many fancy places but anywhere I can get good food, I'll go. Thanks!!!

Re: Good Eats in the Kapolei Area

You may recall the Sassy Kassy Lunchwagon at the Campbell Industrial Park. They retired but you can find many of the favorites from there at Hapa Grill. It's owned by the daughter and the father is there almost all the time. For really good poke and other seafood you can check out Poke Stop in Waipahu - see the review link on the left for more details. I'm sure there are others out there with good suggestions for Korean in the area.

Comment

En Fuego in Kapolei.

http://www.enfuegohawaii.com/

Comment

Drive up to Wahiawa and go to Dot's Restaurant. Yeah, I know plenty people laugh when Dot's is mentioned. They're probably the last of the old time local family restaurants that still serve a complete meal at under $10. We're talking drink, salad or soup, main course and dessert (jello or pudding). Kids love it, especially dessert time. Even the waitresses will tell you what "color" jello is being served. Usually red, yel..no...yallow, green and orange and chocolate or tapioca puddings. <LOL>

Hey, the prices won't break the bank and the food won't kill you.

Comment

Julie'Z Restaurant for Filipino food? Ho Ho Chinese Cuisine for... well, you know? I've actually heard there's a decent range of eats out there. I just don't get out there very often.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Julie'Z Restaurant for Filipino food? Ho Ho Chinese Cuisine for... well, you know? I've actually heard there's a decent range of eats out there. I just don't get out there very often.
            I do...and I've never gotten beyond the Safeway deli, Chili's and Mickey D's!!! I really must change my habits!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              Regarding Ho Ho Chinese, I heard from a very reliable source (local Chinese food historian and writer) that one of Oahu's finest Chinese chefs cooks there. It is now on my list of must try places. I just need to ensure that he is cooking that day.

Comment

i am going to spoil the secret, but anyone who works in Kapolei knows that the ONLY place worth eating at in Kapolei is "Summer & Spice" over by the Kapolei theatres. that's all i'm saying.

Comment

Originally posted by p0id0g
                  i am going to spoil the secret, but anyone who works in Kapolei knows that the ONLY place worth eating at in Kapolei is "Summer & Spice" over by the Kapolei theatres. that's all i'm saying.
                  What kind of food is it? I'm game for taking a drive out there from Pearl City if its that good.

Originally posted by glossyp
                  Regarding Ho Ho Chinese, I heard from a very reliable source (local Chinese food historian and writer) that one of Oahu's finest Chinese chefs cooks there. It is now on my list of must try places. I just need to ensure that he is cooking that day.
                  Hmm...I'd be willing to trust your reliable source if you do glossy . Please give us the 411 if you do get a chance to 'confirm' your source.

Comment

"that's all i'm saying."

"What kind of food is it?"

what da.....

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                      "that's all i'm saying."

"What kind of food is it?"

what da.....
                      ho, kinda bored,uh?

Sorry i not da kine fo jus go to one place fo eat aftah 1 person wen tell me was one good secret place fo eat uh? I jus neva heard of da place an' wanted some moa info, ass all. If the ting dat ono, no mek sense keep'm 1 secret ah?

My apologeez to you braddah kimo.

Comment

i would have to describe the menu as half chinese dishes, half pac-rim type cuisine with heavy chinese influence at plate lunch prices (not Roy's or Alan Wong Pac Rim, but pac rim type sauces and seasonings. i am not a dining critic so maybe i don't know the proper term to describe it!). the quality of the food is very high. highlights include the pork chops, baked salmon, various shrimp dishes, and the crab. all plates $7.50 and up come with an all-you-can-eat salad bar, which also has some interesting items. i once had macaroni salad with salmon instead of tuna in it that was great. The proprietor is a very nice man who makes conversation with all of his customers, many of who are regulars and are on a first-name basis with him. he will give you background on the dish and let you know of other ways you can order it the next time..... and for most people there always is a next time at Summer & Spice.

Comment

dis thread turning into wat ya favorite chinese resturant?

auntie lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by p0id0g
                            i would have to describe the menu as half chinese dishes, half pac-rim type cuisine with heavy chinese influence at plate lunch prices (not Roy's or Alan Wong Pac Rim, but pac rim type sauces and seasonings. i am not a dining critic so maybe i don't know the proper term to describe it!). the quality of the food is very high. highlights include the pork chops, baked salmon, various shrimp dishes, and the crab. all plates $7.50 and up come with an all-you-can-eat salad bar, which also has some interesting items. i once had macaroni salad with salmon instead of tuna in it that was great. The proprietor is a very nice man who makes conversation with all of his customers, many of who are regulars and are on a first-name basis with him. he will give you background on the dish and let you know of other ways you can order it the next time..... and for most people there always is a next time at Summer & Spice.
                            Wow! Thank goodness I asked( go figure, huh, kimo? ). Thanks for the detailed info poidog!
                            Sounds like an awesome place. Thanks to you, I get to go discover something new at a place I never would have gone otherwise. Everything in town side is either okay or mediocre and there really isn't anything 'different'. Summer & Spice sounds like a refreshing twist! Your description of the menu items made me drool.
                            Gonna head out there this week, for sure!
                            Thanks again for letting us in on the secret!

Comment

hah, i miss living and working in town. finding interesting things to eat in kapolei on a daily basis is pretty difficult. i mean, there are some good lunchwagons out this way, but you can only eat lunchwagon food so often before your blood pressure and cholesterol levels shoot through the roof. it is a challenge to find good AND somewhat healthy food. i bounce between summer & spice, aloha sushi, safeway deli, en fuego grill & poke, and kapolei korean bbq. once in a while we will wander over to hana sushi, but that can put a dent in your wallet. hapa grill is nice, but the service is pretty slow - much too slow for lunch hour on a work day. I really don't like fast-food chains, and that's the only other alternative.....

Comment

Working...
                              X