old kine da kine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: old kine da kine

We usta go La Paloma at 1216 Kapiolani. da bestest Mexican food.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      We usta go La Paloma at 1216 Kapiolani. da bestest Mexican food.
      I usta go to MAMA'S on N. School Street foa Chile Verde! BYOB wuz great!

before I hit the sack, I remember The Black Angus!
      ...many a dates, no man ever ate my steaks on a first date there!
      hahahahaha
      Auntie Lynn
      Last edited by 1stwahine; February 21, 2006, 09:22 PM.
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
        then they had the little ones installed on counters a few years after that when rock and roll started to be the fad.
        about 1970 or so, lived about 7 blocks up Liliha from Vineyard, Dh side... often went into da cafe what looked like it hadn't changed since the late 50's and even now, it is still there. looking the same. usta feed those lil jukeboxes on da tables. listen to "hey paula". it really felt like a decade or so earlier.
        THAT is when i usta work at Mama's Mexican Kitchen... Aunty, I made yer chile rellanos!
        Also worked at da Ena rd one, too. Pink Cadillac fills that space now.
        Now, Mahalo Antiques mall is there. Popped in there a few weeks ago talked story with george who owns it, said I... usta cook right here... Served tables that were right over here... was just looking at my super 8 footage of that place in those days the other day.
        Last edited by kimo55; February 21, 2006, 09:25 PM.

Comment

about 1970 or so, lived about 7 blocks up Liliha from Vineyard, Dh side... often went onto da cafe what looked like it hadn't changed since the late 50's and even now, it is still there. looking the same. usta feed those lil jukeboxes on da tables. listen to "hey paula". it really felt like a decade or so earlier.
          That would be Janes Fountain! The lil jukeboxes are gone but they have a regular size one in the back. Same decor. Same original clock since it opened.

Great Local Foods

Auntie Lynn

You worked at MAMA'S? nO WAY! I loved their FOOD! I refuse to believe you worked there - you are just trying to make me upset. Nah, it's cool! I sure miss their style of cooking! Plan on having any parties soon?
          Last edited by 1stwahine; February 21, 2006, 09:37 PM.

Comment

before I hit the sack, I remember The Black Angus!
            speakin of steak houses, I also worked at the Bum Steer. Nashville Waikiki is there now. This was mid seventies.
            Carl Racey owned it.
            This was when da streaking craze was helpin air out alotta musky regions. I aired too.

Comment

speakin of steak houses, I also worked at the Bum Steer. Nashville Waikiki is there now. This was mid seventies.
              Carl Racey owned it.
              This was when da streaking craze was helpin air out alotta musky regions. I aired too.
              I thought dat wuz you Kimo! Wow! Steak and BUTT never change! ROFLMAO

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Thanks for the research on the query about Swanky's. I've passed it along, and invited the inquirer to join the reminiscing here.

Liberty Grill? There is a Liberty Grill, still, on Union Mall, though most likely not the Liberty Grill y'all are remembering. Some of my coworkers go there. It definitely feels like a restaurant stuck back in time (complete with chipped glassware and sticky floors), with a homestyle menu and an interesting cast of characters...

And speaking of restaurants named Black Angus... we just ate at Stuart Anderson's Cattle Company over the weekend and noticed its franchise name is Black Angus Steakhouse. Yeah, we don't get out much.

Comment

PZ, The Liberty Grill, as I stated earlier is also on Union Mall. It is the one that was originally on Fort Street Mall. The original owners sold the resturant to the current owner. The menu however, remains the same.

The soups are all homestyle!

As for the characters? hahahahaha

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Tasty Grill! Mahalo Aunty.

Chile Verde is my all time fave Mex food.....and Kimo knows how to cook it? Da recipe, Bruddah!

Did you know that Liberty House used to have a cafeteria on the top floor back in the 50's? Mom used to take us up there for lunch as my Grandmother was a cook. I don't know if it was only for employees, but it closed down probably before 1960.

And on King St. around the block from Fort St. used to have a big Japanese dept. store. I remember going in there to look at the kites.

Wow da memories. We used to come to town by way of Nimitz and used to pass the train yards at the cannery and oil refinery. You could lie down in the back of that big'ol green Ford stationwagon and know exactly where you were by the smell and tire sounds over the tracks. Yeah, it was stink.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye

And on King St. around the block from Fort St. used to have a big Japanese dept. store. I remember going in there to look at the kites.
                      yea. got some ooollld footage of that somewhere just watched a while back. big facade with verticle lines and huge letters. Gotta watch it again, remind myself what it was...

Comment

Hold on to your seats. I'm gonna take you on a little time travel...by Aala Park way. Across the Iwilei Train Depot, was a resturant that belonged to a well known Dentist during that era. Dr. Chang. He owned several businesses. Infact, he also built the Jade Building (the round building) which is still standing in Kaimuki. The resturant had everything. From ice cream, hotcakes to complete dinners. A grocery and Drug Store was also located inside. After the fall of Aala Park, Dr. Chang moved his bussinesses across the street until that too became another project of the city to be torn down for progress. Another great resturant that is gone is Railroad Inn where they served humongous Muffins and the Best Beef Stew I ever tasted. My taste for foods and my ability to cook is a combination of everything I have acquired during my lifetime. I have the gift of taste and know how to make from scratch. I don't hold my secrets of cooking. I share so that it will always be carried on.

I love this thread. I will definitely share more...in time.

Auntie Lynn
                        Last edited by 1stwahine; February 22, 2006, 01:21 PM.

Comment

From my reliable sources again! The name of the Steak place was Tasty Grill located on Maunakea and Nimitz.

I was wondering if anyone would mention my old fave: It was Tasty Broiler (not Grill) on Maunakea and Nimitz. When I went UH back in the 70s, a bunch of us would go there for lunch.

Soup, salad, entree, drink and desert for $3-4, and the entrees were steaks, chops an li' dat. Sooooo good.

You know, they've moved to the Leeward Bowl, but it's not the same.

Another favorite was the old King Tsin (King near Kalakaua).
                          Whatever chef they had back in the mid-70s sure could cook!

I'd love to have the naan bread again from the Third Floor. Was soooo ono.

Someone mentioned Swanky's. The first Spencecliff restaurant in Hawaii was Swanky Franky's - a hot dog place across Ena Street from Wailana Coffee House - in 1939. They later had one downtown.

Comment

Crouching Lion Inn. Still there. The restaurant menues have the story of how the place came to be. Wood was brought in from the Pacific Northwest, carted over the Koolaus and hand built.

Sometimes I suggest this place for dining and people look at me funny kine. Dey get restront? Yeah. Whenever I go, we always start dinner with their honey shrimp, then go right into their Slavonic Steak, a nice hunk of sirloin seared then thinly sliced and quickly sauteed in garlic and herb butter at your table. Rich! End dinner with malasada icecream for dessert. Malasadas filled with vanilla icecream. They wrap a ball of ice cream with the malasada dough then deep fry it. Hootah!

After my divorce, I had many a date there. Good memories. Goooooood memories. A moonlit walk along the shoreline at Kualoa Park always helped to relieve some of that heavy feeling after eating all that meat.

Comment

yea. got some ooollld footage of that somewhere just watched a while back. big facade with verticle lines and huge letters. Gotta watch it again, remind myself what it was...
                              Wasn't the name Musashiya, and then moved to Ala Moana Center near Sears where Old Navy is now.

Comment

Working...
                              X