St Patrick's Day eats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Patrick's Day eats?

This year St. Patrick's day falls during Lent . Can Roman Catholics still have thier corned beef dinner or will it be a sin? I see that some bishops are bending the rules, but is it ok in true believers?
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: St Patrick's Day eats?

Sorry can't help you, alohabear, I was born Protestant. We don't get excommicated, but then, we don't have as many rules and rites as the Catholics do. But I still say.....eat'um!
    I'll be thinking of you while I enjoy my corned beef and cabbage.
    Just hackin'on ya. (see below)

Btw, did you know that corned beef is not Irish? It's an American dish.......

Okay, forget all that. That info was from one source. Another source says that corned beef and cabbage was Easter faire in rural Ireland, so says the US Dept of Ag. BUT, there is still some dispute as to whether the rural Irish actually ate corned beef as opposed to a simple piece of salt pork or a bacon joint boiled with the vegies. Also, some Irish say that corned beef is about as Irish as "spaghetti and meatballs". Some think it was a peasant dish and others say it was only fed to royalty. Another source says that corned beef was as expensive and as popular as fresh meat. The debate rages on.

Hoi, alohabear, Connecticut diocese lifted the ban on meatless Friday for the whole state. The same seems to be going on across the country and it simply depends on the diocese. At this point, buy the biggest package of corned beef you can find and just grind. Erin would go, brah.
    Last edited by Da Rolling Eye; March 15, 2006, 06:21 PM.

Comment

St. Paddy's Day is just around the corner again. This Saturday, March 17th, 2007 to be exact.

What you folks got planned?

Last year I made the traditional corned beef and cabbage, except I augmented the broth with chicken stock. Big flavor boost!

We like to cut the tenderly-cooked corned beef into thin slices, lay it out over the cabbage on a huge serving platter, family style, with the carrots and potatoes on the side. Each person plates their own with yellow mustard as a condiment. So ono. Even with poi! Plus, next day you can make killer Reuben sandwiches with the leftovers!

This year I may try to make a traditional Irish Lamb Stew as a side dish. What the heck. Anyone got pointers or a good recipe on that? Or any other recommended St. Paddy Day eats?
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Well, not that I want to disclose what a complete back-sliding Catholic I am, but I thought the no eat meat rule was only for Fridays during Lent. So if St. Patty's Day is on a Saturday, why can't you snark down some corned beef and cabbage ala Ruben chased by a stout?
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Boiled potatos.

Comment

As much as corned-beef-and-cabbage isn't Irish, neither is chop suey a true Chinese dish. I remember reading when I was a kid that chop suey was created in the Chinatown area of San Francisco.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
              As much as corned-beef-and-cabbage isn't Irish, neither is chop suey a true Chinese dish. I remember reading when I was a kid that chop suey was created in the Chinatown area of San Francisco.
              Well OK, it may not be, but it's the one most of us Americans are familiar with in respect to the holiday in our collective mind.

When was the last time you celebrated this holiday with Bacon And Cabbage? I've never tried that, but it sounds interesting! Kinda' like Kalua Pig and Cabbage, I suppose.
              Last edited by Pomai; March 15, 2007, 12:03 AM. Reason: link
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                This year I may try to make a traditional Irish Lamb Stew as a side dish. What the heck. Anyone got pointers or a good recipe on that? Or any other recommended St. Paddy Day eats?
                I don't have a recipe, but I wouldn't use tomatoes in the stew like we do here. Can probably use the usual root veggies, onions, carrots, celery and potatoes.

I"d do it this way. Salt and pepper the lamb and brown them. Add water and a can of chicken broth just to cover, add onions, celery and carrots. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and let it simmer till the lamb is tender. Add the potatoes and cook till tender. Don't forget salt and pepper to taste.
                Thicken with a flour slurry if you like it thick. It'll be kinda like a BASIC meat and gravy dish. You can add herbs if desired. You can use beef boullion or broth instead of the chicken broth. Oh yeah, don't forget to skim the fat. Lamb is a notoriously fatty meat. So good.

Hmmm. You could leave out the slurry and add squash to make a nice, clear broth Navajo lamb stew. But then you'd have to serve it with fry bread.

As for other eats, you got me. Green beer? Maybe a green cake for dessert?

Comment

If you no like cook...just go downtown and enjoy the famous Corn Beef and Cabbage from Murphy's Bar and Grill!

St. Patrick's Day celebration sponsored by Murphy's Bar & Grill. Big Block Party from Aloha Towers to Downtown this year!

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I'm planning on making the traditional Corned Beef , instead of boiling it, I am baking in at a low heat 250. This works really well because it's a brisket.
                    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                    Flickr

Comment

Just saw a "Good Eats" episode on corned beef last night. Among the points made (some of which were stated earlier in this thread):
                      > Bacon joint, not corned beef, was the traditional meat dish in Ireland long ago; c.b. + cabbage is an American creation, developed as immigrant Irish neighborhoods in New York City grew next to Jewish ones, where brisket was more common.
                      > When St. Patrick's Day falls on a Friday, the Catholic Church in America grants dispensation for adherents to eat meat that day.
                      > The lovely pink color of c.b. comes from the use of saltpetre as part of the pickling brine.

Comment

so whos got the best sale on corned beef this week?
                        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

At Costo they sell Beef Brisket in large portions.

A different way of preparing it is slicing it thin on a slice machine.

Soak for 1/2 hour in garlic, sesame oil, shoyu, ginger, garlic powder, sugar, msg (optional) to taste or your favorite BBQ sauce.

BBQ on grill.

Eat right away. Goes well wrapped in fresh lettuce with miso paste and hot steam rice!

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I'm trying to find a great recipe for soda bread to make my Irish husband hau'oli. Making my mother in law and gma in law hau'oli is a bonus. Mom in law does NOT cook (I can't stress this enough, lol) so asking her for a soda bread recipe is pointless. I could ask gma in law but she's 91 and I don't want her to have to rush and go through all her recipes. I'd rather suprise them anyway. So does anyone have a good recipe for this traditional Irish food?
                            I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                              At Costo they sell Beef Brisket in large portions.

A different way of preparing it is slicing it thin on a slice machine.

Soak for 1/2 hour in garlic, sesame oil, shoyu, ginger, garlic powder, sugar, msg (optional) to taste or your favorite BBQ sauce.

BBQ on grill.

Eat right away. Goes well wrapped in fresh lettuce with miso paste and hot steam rice!

Auntie Lynn
                              You just said the magic words.. BBQ GRILL!

After hearing AlohaBear say he was gonna' bake it, I thought about that.

Soaking an already brined beef brisket in shoyu and da' odda' stuffs you suggested... are you kidding me? That sounds awesome! That's similar to how I make my Big Island Style Smoked Meat. I'll probably use some Kiawe in the fire for the corned beef for added smokey flavah. Instead of the miso paste and lettuce, I'll probably just whack 'em wit' Poi and a Guinness.

I'm definately trying that! Mahalo for the tip Auntie!
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                              X