Best Place You Ever Ate At In Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Place You Ever Ate At In Hawaii

Including atmosphere and service?....Crouching Lion Inn and their Slavonic Steak. Been there many a time with or without a date. Always a very pleasant dining experience. Of course, this was about 15 to 20 years ago. I have no idea how it is now.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye
      Crouching Lion Inn (...) Of course, this was about 15 to 20 years ago. I have no idea how it is now.
      For a long time it was the lunch stop for tour buses, so the food was pretty 'industrial'. However, there is a new owner as of a month or so ago.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

waihole poi factory

Comment

ISLAND OF MAUI

LAHAINA

Avalon Restaurant and Bar
          844 Front St.
          Lahaina
          808-667-5559
          Lunch and dinner daily. All credit cards accepted.
          Hawaii regional cuisine/Pacific Rim

Moderately Expensive. It's worth eating here just to watch Chef Mark Ellman cook. He's one of the originators of Hawaii Regional Cuisine. His lamb chops with ginger cream, wok-fried fish with spicy black bean sauce and ahi taro salad with caviar are legendary. Signature sundae: Caramel Miranda.

sinjin - Whole Opakapaka(my fav). The miranda is to die for. Macnut icecream with miniature Equadorian coconuts with raspberries, star fruit, etc. Yum!
          Last edited by sinjin; May 3, 2006, 08:20 AM.
          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
            For a long time it was the lunch stop for tour buses, so the food was pretty 'industrial'. However, there is a new owner as of a month or so ago.
            Yeah, used to see busses all the time and thought the same, but their dinner menu was far from "industrial". I thought it could have rivaled some of the better restaurants in town back then, but probably didn't because they were located so far out of the way. If the new owner hasn't changed the dinner menu too much, it could probably still hold it's own.

Another place that throws diners off is Helemano Plantation right next to the Dole Pineapple stand. Lots of tourist activity, but for the price they actually offer a fairly decent Chinese buffet with local favorites, with small changes daily. Their "American" fare I would consider industrial. Bleeeecccch! It isn't much, but it's obvious they put much more in the Chinese dishes. American fare usually runs with spaghetti, chili or tacos and they all seem to share the same meat sauce.

Comment

I've never eaten "at." What is it? Some kinda local kine?

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza

I've never eaten "at." What is it? Some kinda local kine?
                Kimo, does Maddie know that you're using her login?

Comment

Har!

I am sticking to safe topics now. Nothing controversial or provocative.

So I thought.

Comment

Unlike Tutusue, who has a meaningful career, friends, and offspring, I live to eat because what the heck else have I got?

And the place that, for the past several years, has really done it for me is the Olive Tree in Kahala. I get downright emotional over my meals there, wishing I lived closer so that I could go there every day.

For certain other reasons, I really like Cafe Sistina, but turmoil in my personal life has meant that it's been a few years since I've been there. Eating alone at the Olive Tree is fine; eating alone at Sistina would kill me, I think!
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                      And the place that, for the past several years, has really done it for me is the Olive Tree in Kahala. I get downright emotional over my meals there, wishing I lived closer so that I could go there every day.
                      Hmmm I think I'll pull take out there Hmmm the olive tree.

So many choices who can tell? Volcano shrimp out by the Hygenic store...The pink truck YUM

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                        Unlike Tutusue, who has a meaningful career, friends, and offspring, I live to eat because what the heck else have I got?

For certain other reasons, I really like Cafe Sistina, but turmoil in my personal life has meant that it's been a few years since I've been there. Eating alone at the Olive Tree is fine; eating alone at Sistina would kill me, I think!
                        We need to help you thru your Cafe Sistina challenge, Scriv! How 'bout an HT lunch or dinner there?

Come to think of it, I've not eaten at either Olive Tree or Sistina! See, you most likely have more of a life than I do!

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                          Har!

I am sticking to safe topics now. Nothing controversial or provocative.

So I thought.
                          Thanks for coming back; I'm sorry that I was a contributor to your departure.

(Holy crap - I just went over 1000 posts and didn't notice it.)
                          Last edited by Leo Lakio; May 4, 2006, 07:30 AM. Reason: It's only a number.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                            Thanks for coming back; I'm sorry that I was a contributor to your departure.
                            No apology needed! I get dramatic when I have PMS.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                              Kimo, does Maddie know that you're using her login?
                              hell, I... don't even know!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                                (Holy crap - I just went over 1000 posts and didn't notice it.)
                                no beeg ting braddah. once ya get into the rarified atmosphere of high numbers, ya don't notice what ya once ustah.

Comment

Working...
                                X