No Shoyu,Milk or Rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No Shoyu,Milk or Rice

Speaking of Aloha Shoyu, I've tried their guava pineapple and mango pineapple marinade/glazes (bought them in the largest Asian food supermarket in town). They are both actually very very good for making a different kind of teriyaki. I'm trying to support Hawaiian businesses whenever I can up here.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
      Can you imagine a bull walking up to a cow for a sip of milk?
      Hey! That's how we get baby cows.

We're the only species to browse the Internet too!

Kikkoman is easily better than Aloha. Trying to cook dishes that use shoyu in significant proportions makes it more apparent. For dark shoyu, Lee Kum Kee premium is tops.

Sue Kiyabu should live a week with products made locally. That's more difficult. No computer, shoes, clothes, car, toiletries, etc.
      Last edited by i-hungry; May 3, 2006, 12:22 AM.

Comment

So, whatever happened to Diamond Shoyu?

Comment

Much of the farmland all over the world is being overtaken by development, which means the source of your food is farther and farther away.

Sound like an argument for tall, taller, tallest buildings. 120 stories would protect a lot of farmland. The logic is too obvious.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

What nobody has mentioned is that Kikkoman has monosodium glutamate, which isn't as bad for you as everyone seems to think. MSG, like salt, definitely makes food taste better, and that's why I prefer Kikkoman.

Have you been down the shoyu aisle at the Marukai Market on Dillingham? There are all kinds of interesting brands there; haven't tried any yet myself, but I'm definitely going to.

I really dig vinegar, and when I come home from Marukai, I have a new bottle of something interesting; perhaps I'll add a new brand of shoyu to the equation.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I use to stock Shoyu at the commisary in Schofeild, and da buggah neva moved off da shelve's. "Aloha" at least once or twice in a week and Kiko man never went anywhere
              A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro
                I use to stock Shoyu at the commisary in Schofeild, and da buggah neva moved off da shelve's. "Aloha" at least once or twice in a week and Kiko man never went anywhere
                You should've talked to the guy stocking the sour cream, bacon bits, butter, ketchup, mustard and Worcestershire sauce... those condiments. I bet he was busy.

Believe me, those are must-haves in our pantry as much as Shoyu.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                  What nobody has mentioned is that Kikkoman has monosodium glutamate, which isn't as bad for you as everyone seems to think. MSG, like salt, definitely makes food taste better, and that's why I prefer Kikkoman.
                  Normally MSG is not spoken of amongst polite circles, but since you brought it up:

I cannot cook a decent dish of killer fried shrimp w/o a few shakes of (sing it with me peopleeee) Ah-gee-aaah-geee-no-mo-to.....

</discreetly places hands in lap, sits primmly>
                  Last edited by Pua'i Mana'o; May 3, 2006, 03:35 PM. Reason: w/o a conjunction, my pretention lost its function, but the spelling errors get to stay

pax

Comment

ah-ji-noo-moo-toooooooo. I feel so old.

I sked aji. My ex-wife used to get what felt like pressure headaches behind her eyes after eating any type of food containing the stuff. I won't use it again till I hear or read something to the contrary. Too bad, cause it does make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye
                      ah-ji-noo-moo-toooooooo. I feel so old.

I sked aji. My ex-wife used to get what felt like pressure headaches behind her eyes after eating any type of food containing the stuff. I won't use it again till I hear or read something to the contrary. Too bad, cause it does make a difference.
                      Regarding MSG...there is some evidence that excessive glutamic acid is being found in the brains of Alzheimers, ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) and Parkinson's disease patients. Since MSG is found in so many processed foods as a flavor enhancer, it's really hard to find products that don't contain MSG, but it's probably worth avoiding excessive use of the chemical for its immediate and possibly long term consequences. Another natural amino acid that might cause neurodegenerative problems is aspartame (Equal/Nutrasweet), although more testing needs to be done to prove the link conclusively.

"...MSG that we eat may cause or exacerbate
                      neurodegenerative disease. We know that elevated levels of
                      glutamate in the brain are associated with neurodegenerative
                      disease such as ALS, Parkinson's disease, and Alzheimer's
                      disease. We also know that the blood-brain barrier, once
                      thought to protect the brain from unregulated flow of MSG,
                      is damaged by conditions such as trauma to the head, stroke,
                      diabetes, hypoglycemia, and aging. One must consider,
                      therefore, that the MSG we eat might cause or exacerbate
                      neurodegenerative disease.
                      The New England Journal of Medicine found this notion
                      to be of sufficient merit to publish a Letter to the Editor
                      on July 28, 1994 suggesting that "It is time to address the
                      possibility that ingestion of neurotoxic amino acids may
                      both cause and exacerbate pathologic conditions associated
                      with endogenous neurotoxic amino acids."...

Miulang
                      Last edited by Miulang; May 3, 2006, 04:58 PM.
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                        Regarding MSG...there is some evidence that excessive glutamic acid is being found in the brains of Alzheimers, ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) and Parkinson's disease patients. Since MSG is found in so many processed foods as a flavor enhancer, it's really hard to find products that don't contain MSG, but it's probably worth avoiding excessive use of the chemical for its immediate and possibly long term consequences. Another natural amino acid that might cause neurodegenerative problems is aspartame (Equal/Nutrasweet), although more testing needs to be done to prove the link conclusively.

"...MSG that we eat may cause or exacerbate
                        neurodegenerative disease. We know that elevated levels of
                        glutamate in the brain are associated with neurodegenerative
                        disease such as ALS, Parkinson's disease, and Alzheimer's
                        disease. We also know that the blood-brain barrier, once
                        thought to protect the brain from unregulated flow of MSG,
                        is damaged by conditions such as trauma to the head, stroke,
                        diabetes, hypoglycemia, and aging. One must consider,
                        therefore, that the MSG we eat might cause or exacerbate
                        neurodegenerative disease.
                        The New England Journal of Medicine found this notion
                        to be of sufficient merit to publish a Letter to the Editor
                        on July 28, 1994 suggesting that "It is time to address the
                        possibility that ingestion of neurotoxic amino acids may
                        both cause and exacerbate pathologic conditions associated
                        with endogenous neurotoxic amino acids."...

Miulang
                        to quote Maddie:

you are a buzzkill!

actually, we eat more msg than we realize. It is in quite a bit of local foods, chips, seed, dishes in restaurants, and other sauces that are sold in the oriental foods isle.

And I only sprinkle it on fried shrimp! I promise!

and I need to edit this to say:

both Aloha and Club shoyu rock!
                        Kikkoman is too salty; it is hard to make a good batch of shoyu chicken with it.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                          both Aloha and Club shoyu rock!
                          Kikkoman is too salty; it is hard to make a good batch of shoyu chicken with it.
                          I know what you mean about the type of shoyu makes a difference in the final product; hence I have both Aloha and Kikkoman (plus the Chinese light and dark stuff) on hand, and will use one or the other depending on what I'm cooking.

As for Club Shoyu, since I discovered it can only be found on Maui and the Big Island, I am assuming when on Maui I can pick it up at Star Market? There's no more Ooka and no more Ah Fook, so I don't know where any other Maui based markets might be in Central Maui, except for that little bento place in Happy Valley (Takamiya)...

As for the "flavor enhancers", all I can say is, "Pick yer poison!"

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                            to quote Maddie:
                            i think it depends on your recipe. i notice that there's some differences with the chinese recipes and the local recipes. i have been putting 3/4 cup kikkoman and 1/2 cup lee kum kee dark soysauce.

other ingredients include star anise, tangerine peel, rice wine, brown sugar etc.

Comment

Working...
                            X