Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii's Best Hot Dog

Originally posted by dick View Post
    Some of the stuff at Hank's is a bit out there, but overall the food is incredibly good. I was going to go in on Monday (the day after I shot that story), because I really wanted more, but was saddened to see it closed at 1:30 in the afternoon -- sign on the door saying "We Ran Out!"

I might try again today.
    I simply love this post as the irony is just too funny: Hawaii's Best Hot Dog posted by "Dick"
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      I simply love this post as the irony is just too funny: Hawaii's Best Hot Dog posted by "Dick"
      Congratulations! You may already be a weiner!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        Congratulations! You may already be a weiner!
        I relish that distinction but I had better Ketchup to get that award

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          I relish that distinction but I had better Ketchup to get that award
          You mustard all your strength for that one, I can tell. Mayo be blessed with much laughter - and my condiments to the chef du pun.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            You mustard all your strength for that one, I can tell. Mayo be blessed with much laughter - and my condiments to the chef du pun.
            Thank you Richard Weiner where ever you are and to Dick Raashe, I'm just itching to meet you too.

Comment

HAHHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA omg you guys and your puns just had me spilling my water glass all over my cubicle. now everyone here thinks i'm crazy. lol.

too funny. ps: the hot dogs are SO good. all couture and haute. very niche.
              life is ok sometimes

Comment

• Re: New Grindz @ Remington College Building

Apparently Shirokiya in Ala Moana Center is selling "the original KC Waffle Dog" on Aug 7 thru 12, from 9:30am to 6:30pm.

Comment

You definitely gotta try Hank's Haute Dogs.

I did a take-out order of four different dogs so the kids and I could try 'em. I let Hank himself make the recommendations, since it was my first time there.

We did the traditional Chicago Dog, the Foie Gras Dog, the Italian dog and the one with kim chee. I am SO looking forward to going back.

He warned that the fries wouldn't travel well (they didn't), but they were tasty nevertheless. The pineapple ice stuff they offered as samples that day was super-good. Not too sweet and quite refreshing.

Oh yeah -- the dipping sauces -- try 'em all! There's one with tobiko that's a little fishy, but I guess that's a "duh" kind of thing -- I should have expected that.

When I was there, some visitors from the Midwest were there eating their dogs at the counter -- and heaped their praises on Hank as they departed. THAT was quite the endorsement, I thought. I've lived in the Midwest and those folks know their wieners, sausages, etc. (OK boys, stop snickering.)

Last edited by Erika Engle; August 11, 2007, 12:34 PM. Reason: Clarity, and forgot to mention dipping sauces.
                  I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle View Post

I did a take-out order of four different dogs so the kids and I could try 'em. I let Hank himself make the recommendations, since it was my first time there.

We did the traditional Chicago Dog, the Foie Gras Dog, the Italian dog and the one with kim chee. I am SO looking forward to going back.

He warned that the fries wouldn't travel well (they didn't), but they were tasty nevertheless. The pineapple ice stuff they offered as samples that day was super-good. Not too sweet and quite refreshing.

Oh yeah -- the dipping sauces -- try 'em all! There's one with tobiko that's a little fishy, but I guess that's a "duh" kind of thing -- I should have expected that.

When I was there, some visitors from the Midwest were there eating their dogs at the counter -- and heaped their praises on Hank as they departed. THAT was quite the endorsement, I thought. I've lived in the Midwest and those folks know their wieners, sausages, etc. (OK boys, stop snickering.)

We were inspired by this post. Waiting for our little souls to get home from a day with their Uncle, and we're headed to Town by 4 p.m. closing!
                    ___
                    "Be god to each other."

Comment

Big second to this recommendation. The dogs are great, but you gotta try the Maui onion rings - the best onion rings I've ever had here in Hawaii. Hank did say they might not be on the menu for long as they are labor intensive. Overall one of the best new spots in town - by far.

Comment

How about a Haute Dog with Escargot and Truffles, drowned in garlic butter over it? I'd try that! Kind of a spin on the classic Swiss 'N' Shroom Burger.

Anything Erika and Gail recommends, I'll try. So there.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I gotta add my name to the growing list of endorsers. I'm a Chicago native and I grew up eating Chicago dogs and Hanks gets it right. I'd have to pay United Airlines $700 and spend 10 hours on a plane to get a dog like these. Vienna hot dog? Check. Poppy seed bun? Check. Bright green relish? Check. Pickle, tomato, & celery salt? Check-check-check. Authentic. The best surprise for me was the "Italian" sausage. It's another Chicago staple, and Hank's uses a very tasty sausage, smothered in onions and peppers, and placed in a soft sweet bun...to...die...for. It's a "special" on the menu and not always available. Today for lunch I sampled the Polish dog and the Chili dog (yes, I was hungry). Just fantastic...and everyone else in the office thought so too.

I've talked with "Hank" and he'd love to bring in gyros & Italian beef too, but first things first.

Comment

Hank Rules!!! We made our way through another lunch at Hank's and were delighted again. Trusty dining pal GlossyP and I and my husband thoroughly
                            enjoyed a Polish, chili dog, and a regular dog with everything on it. Two orders of onion rings (so amazing) an order of fries and 3 hibiscus lemonades. Again we left feeling glad we'd chosen to eat there, the staff is so friendly and makes you feel at home. We did not see Hank this time which we were dissapointed by, next time! Nice to see their tip jar has a little label that says tips are donated to Hawaii Charities, I do recall GP telling them that they should do that when we first visited and they did! As a Chicago Girl born in the city I can certainly attest that Hank has it right and should continue to enjoy success and a loyal following! A hui hou Hank's Haute Dogs!!!!!

Comment

I dug this page out of a search because I went to Woody's hot dogs in Waikele this week. The hot dog is a Vienna hotdog just like the ones at Hank's and just like you will get at 999 out of 1,000 hot dog and beef stands in Chicago. I LIKED it. Tasted like home.

For 89 cents they will turn your hotdog into a "Chicago" hot dog by adding a pickle and tomato slice. No thanks, All you need to make it a Chicago hotdog is mustard, relish, and onions. If you want them; there are hot peppers, Chicago hotdog has two of 'em. If you put ketchup on a Vienna beef hotdog, you should be beaten with a stick. Ketchup doesn't belong on beef.

In this thread there is a mention or two of the guy selling "Chicago" style sandwiches in front of Home Depot at Iwelei. He is a very nice person. He is not from Chicago and his attempt at an Italian beef can be labeled valiant. HOWEVER- it achieves less than 20% of the satisfaction of a fairly good Italian beef sandwich purchased in da great city uh Chicahgo. I noticed that he has had to start selling local style plate lunches to stay in business.

So I am plugging Woody's here and challenging HANK(of Hank's Haute Dogs)to bring the excellent Italian beef sandwich bought on most corners of Chicago-to da great city uh Hawn-uh-loo-loo. Gawd, those sandwiches are ono.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_beef_sandwich
                              Last edited by Fritz; March 30, 2008, 06:56 PM.
                              You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

Well the "challenge" is over - you have to try Hank's Italian Beef. It is a special on Mondays and also on Friday & Saturday nights. It is truly authentic which I say from experience being born and raised in Chicago.

Here is some information about his new Spam Dogs which debut tomorrow.

http://www.hawaiidiner.com/articles/...hp?article=349

Bon Appetit!

Comment

Working...
                                X